Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 pgc deer report is in >

pgc deer report is in

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pgc deer report is in

Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 AM

Default RE: pgc deer report is in

These numbers are complete B.S. How do they know only 40% of the hunters reported? What if 60% of the hunters reported and they estimated 20% too high with their stupid calculations? That would mean a huge drop in the number of deer killed. A few years ago my hunting group averaged about 3 buck and4 doe for a group of 7 guys. The last two years we have killed 1 buck and two doe total. 3 deer in two years! We are not a bunch of morons, we are not lazy, there are just not that many deer left where we hunt. Tell me that everything is getting better.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:02 PM

The deer harvest estimates provided by the Game Commission in press release #031-07 are based on data from field checked deer and hunter report cards. Statewide examples will demonstrate how deer harvest estimates are calculated.

Please note that the results of the simple, statewide examples below will not exactly match the published results because the Game Commission uses a statistical estimator to estimate deer harvests for individual WMUs. This estimator varies slightly from the simple example calculations below. The purpose of the calculations below is to demonstrate the data behind the deer harvest estimates.

SIMPLE EXAMPLE OF2006-07 ANTLERED DEER HARVEST

Game Commission personnel checked 10,283 antlered deerduring the 2006-07 hunting season
Hunters reported 3,829 of these checked deer

The reporting rate of checked deer was 3,829 divided by 10,283. This equals 37.2%.

If the number of antlered deer reported by hunters (50,099 antlered report cards sent to the Game Commission) is divided by the reporting rate (37.2%), the statewide antlered harvest would be 134,675. The Game Commission published an estimate of 135,290 antlered deer harvested by hunters.

SIMPLE EXAMPLE OF2006-07 ANTLERLESS DEER HARVEST

Game Commission personnel checked 19,298 antlerless deer during the 2006-07 hunting season
Hunters reported 7,377 of these checked deer

The reporting rate of checked deer was 7,377 divided by 19,298. This equals 38.2%

If thenumber of antlerless deer reported by hunters (86,833 antlerless report cards sent to the Game Commission) is divided by the reporting rate (38.2%), the statewide antlerless harvest would be 227,312. The Game Commission published an estimate of 226,270 antlerless deer harvested by hunters.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Please visit the Game Commission's website at www.pgc.state.pa.us and read press release #031-07 for further information.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't there a $5 fine for not turning in a report card?

Sounds like the PGC would have made a good size chunk of cash if they find all those deer that were previously checked by personnel and yet those hunters never turned in a report card. All those hunters should have got fines.

Now if this is the way that things have been done for years, you'd think that eventually the percentage of guys turning in report cards would increase because of everyone talking of how they had to pay a fine.

Then again, maybe not.

I think the fine for not reporting should go up. Way up. $100 sounds like a good start.

Imagine the funds that could be generated. When you consider that only 37% get turned in.

Raise the fine and have the PGC do a real crack down on guys that don't turn them in. A little extra effort by doing extra checking of butchers, taxidermists and rosters could give the PGC some desperately needed money.

$100 a pop would add up fast.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

Isn't there a $5 fine for not turning in a report card?

Sounds like the PGC would have made a good size chunk of cash if they find all those deer that were previously checked by personnel and yet those hunters never turned in a report card. All those hunters should have got fines.

Now if this is the way that things have been done for years, you'd think that eventually the percentage of guys turning in report cards would increase because of everyone talking of how they had to pay a fine.

Then again, maybe not.

I think the fine for not reporting should go up. Way up. $100 sounds like a good start.

Imagine the funds that could be generated. When you consider that only 37% get turned in.

Raise the fine and have the PGC do a real crack down on guys that don't turn them in. A little extra effort by doing extra checking of butchers, taxidermists and rosters could give the PGC some desperately needed money.

$100 a pop would add up fast.
We do fine some people that we can prove killed a deer and that we can then prove didn’t submit a report card. The fine is $25 not $5.00.

The problem is in the fact that many of them take a hearing and go in and testify that they sent the report and the Postal Service must have lost it. We usually can’t prove they didn’t send it so the Judge finds them not guilty.

There might be some improved reporting options on the horizon that might improve the reporting rate. But, the biggest thing is just getting successful hunters to take a few minutes to do the darn report. Everyone wants to have better management but then they refuse to do their part in this one simple little thing that could help with having better management.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Old 04-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't believe that a guilty person would take a hearing over 25 dollars. Some people are insane!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:43 AM

I reported 3 extra doe this year just to get the numbers up so they reduce the number of tags. How many guys do you think did the same this year?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:32 AM

Wait a minute! If you reported three extra doe, that means there were more out there than the PGC believed and this coming year the tags need to be increased to stabilize the growing herd in your area. Or is the other way around?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boy!!! I just don't understand that at all!! Why would you report 3 extra deer killed than actual? Number one, I think that may be illegal...Number two, if I was a data taker and looked at those numbers, I guess I would report that there are more deer in that area than we thought, and the license allocations may need to be changed upward.
Why in the world.....?????
Old 04-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have alot of brilliant hunters in this state.They complain about the reporting systen and then try their best to screw the numbers up even more,guys like that don't even deserve a hunting lisence
Old 04-04-2007, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: chr103yod

I reported 3 extra doe this year just to get the numbers up so they reduce the number of tags. How many guys do you think did the same this year?
I believe you just admitted to a crime. i'm sure you are aware that there are PGC officers on this forum and if they were so inclined(and they may be)can contact the mods. to find out who you are. You're not too smart in either case, are you???

Quick Reply: pgc deer report is in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.