Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 new jersey crossbow season >

new jersey crossbow season

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

new jersey crossbow season

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: new jersey crossbow season

It should be legal in all seasons unless NJ doesn't allow archery weapons during gun seasons. There is no logical reason to disallow them, only emotional outbursts and hyperbole.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Driving deer with an Xbow, Xbow hunters following him into the woods. He has also posted in the past that XBows are a tool of poachers. Let's see you hang one out your pickup window. I own just about anything capable of killinga deer andit sure would not be my first choice.. Geez.

I know in this state 10 yearsI used to have to make hotel reservations if I planned on hunting the Berkshires. I know sproul knows alot of stuff and has been hunting for years but is PA or any other states selling as many licenses as they used to. I don't know the statistics but I would sure notbet on that. I have to believe overall there are far less guys in the woods.

If you want to separate compounds from crossbows feel free but it would then ONLY be fair to separate compounds from traditional equipment.

I have shot three deer with the Xbow this year and I will say that one of them would have never let me drawa compound on her.All of those deer were in the magic 20 yard zone.

I am sorry if I was overly harsh with old sproulman but franklyI would rather the guy who went to buy a bow on a whim walked out the door with an Xbow rather than a trad or compound. Whats wrong with be able to hit the target. That guy probably won't be back in the woods next season anyway
Old 11-06-2007, 01:15 PM

I don't care either way about this, but I don't even have enough money to afford all the hunting licenses I need just to do something as simple as bowhunt and shotgun hunt in New Jersey so you will never see me with a crossbow.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

Wow nothing like bashing, and more bashing. Sproulman is entitled to his opinion. I haven't read anything he's written that warrants giving the guy a bunch of grief. This is exactly the crap the anti's like to read. All I think Sproulman is saying is that basically he's had a favorite spot on public lands, and now out of state hunters are coming in, and telling him he's not to be hunting there. No place did I read he's told them they can't hunt there. He's wrote, these out of state hunters have left him nasty notes, and verbally told him its their spot. On public land there is no such thing as anyones spot. But anyone that uses public land obviously has favorite spots.
Were all hunters here, and I don't care who you are. Nobody likes to run into another hunter using a spot you like to hunt, and have for many many yrs. on public land. I personally don't when I've planned to hunt a spot, and find somebody else there, it blows. But its also part of it, so I end up going elsewhere is all.
Far as crossbows, I believe Sproulmans point is the hunting has become hard enough in his woods, and seeing less deer. So he doesn't see how bringing in more hunters with a different weapon is going to help the situation when it comes to getting a deer. Lack of deer, and A.R.'s in PA has been a hot topic all along. He also has a point that obviously the more hunters, and more pressure you place on deer, the harder they are to hunt with archery equipment. Archery hunters mostly rely on natural patterns, trying to figure deer out. Archery hunting as never been about setting up where you think other hunters will move them too. Thats a gun tactic. To me archery has always been about figuring deer out under their more natural movements, feeding, scraping, chasing, rut. If deer are pushed to become nocturnal by a woods swarmed with hunters, archery will be nearly impossible, and force hunters to use typical gun hunting tactics. To me then archerywould no longer be enjoyable. [:@]
may i just say, YOU ARE REAL SPORTSMAN,FOR SURE.
you understand, some dont.
this comes from being a hunter and knowing what is happening in woods.
this is all i try to show what is .
i cant add anything to what you said.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont want to get negative on crossbow, i guess telling truth of what i am seeing ,is negative.
so, i will delete my commentson crossbow and not respond to your commentson crossbow.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TerryM

This paranoia about crossbows shows that you really don't understand them. They have been legal and considered "bows" in Ontario for years and none of the hype you describe is an issue here at all. They have the same effective range as a compound, still kill with a sharp broadhead and you need the same exact hunting skills to get within range as a compound bow user. Yes once sighted in they are obviously easier to hit with but how can that be a bad thing? Do you not want all kills to be as quick and humane as possible? Would you rather some guy walk into Walmart on Thursday night and buy a kit and then hunt Saturday with it and wound the first 10 animals he shoots at? How many of you have wounded and lost game because of your shooting? Relax, I don't expect anybody to fess up. I would rather a guy admit he can't shoot a bow well enough and use a crossbow than find wasted carcasses in the spring. I don't use one, its not my thing but I have no problem at all with those who need to or choose to. To isolate one group and deny them fair access to hunting seasons will only divide you and hurt you long term. How would you like it if the traditional archery guys got your season removed because its using high let off bows and fibre optic sights? Get along boys, get along.
i agree with everything you have said,its not crossbow that most that hunt archery dont like,its all new archery hunters that will be using crossbow that would not think of using compound/recurve.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't care either way about this, but I don't even have enough money to afford all the hunting licenses I need just to do something as simple as bowhunt and shotgun hunt in New Jersey so you will never see me with a crossbow.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Does anyone know where we stand on the Crossbow season yet in NJ?[/align]Thanks[/align] Joe[/align]
Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

I was ata sportsman show in suffern, ny this past weekend and talked to 2 guys from NJ DEP. They said that issue would be taken up in may for the 2009-2010 season. When I questioned them further they said may 2009 not 2008. I came away from the talk with the understanding that nothing would start until 2009 season for xbows if the decision went ahead to legalize them. They also said it could be delayed cause of lawsuits that may or may not be filed. If anyone else has any additional info. it would be greatly apprecciated.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

Wow nothing like bashing, and more bashing. Sproulman is entitled to his opinion. I haven't read anything he's written that warrants giving the guy a bunch of grief. This is exactly the crap the anti's like to read. All I think Sproulman is saying is that basically he's had a favorite spot on public lands, and now out of state hunters are coming in, and telling him he's not to be hunting there. No place did I read he's told them they can't hunt there. He's wrote, these out of state hunters have left him nasty notes, and verbally told him its their spot. On public land there is no such thing as anyones spot. But anyone that uses public land obviously has favorite spots.
Were all hunters here, and I don't care who you are. Nobody likes to run into another hunter using a spot you like to hunt, and have for many many yrs. on public land. I personally don't when I've planned to hunt a spot, and find somebody else there, it blows. But its also part of it, so I end up going elsewhere is all.
Far as crossbows, I believe Sproulmans point is the hunting has become hard enough in his woods, and seeing less deer. So he doesn't see how bringing in more hunters with a different weapon is going to help the situation when it comes to getting a deer. Lack of deer, and A.R.'s in PA has been a hot topic all along. He also has a point that obviously the more hunters, and more pressure you place on deer, the harder they are to hunt with archery equipment. Archery hunters mostly rely on natural patterns, trying to figure deer out. Archery hunting as never been about setting up where you think other hunters will move them too. Thats a gun tactic. To me archery has always been about figuring deer out under their more natural movements, feeding, scraping, chasing, rut. If deer are pushed to become nocturnal by a woods swarmed with hunters, archery will be nearly impossible, and force hunters to use typical gun hunting tactics. To me then archerywould no longer be enjoyable. [:@]
very well said,could not add anything to your comments.

Quick Reply: new jersey crossbow season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.