Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 What did you see/buy in Harrisburg? >

What did you see/buy in Harrisburg?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What did you see/buy in Harrisburg?

Old 02-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default What did you see/buy in Harrisburg?

I didn't make to the show in Harrisburg this week due to some issues on the home front, but I'm curious to see what you guys bought, saw or booked. Also some all around impressions of the show would be welcomed.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What did you see/buy in Harrisburg?

Basically the same show. There are more and more outfitters each year. Didn't buy much of anything special - camo duffle and packpack, 2 pair deerskin gloves, a very tasty chicken marinate lots of tasty samples and products), and that's about it. I was suprised to see that Chuck adams was speaking - I didn't see him listed in the early events listings.I hadn't planned on staying much past 3pm (had to get to Cabelas before coming home) so we missed his talk. Made a "killing" at Cabelas - got $200 worth for $100 ($50 off for buying $200, $40 off for signing up my uncle for credit card, and I had $17 points!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Supposedly this year'sattendance was a tad higher than last year's, although some outfitters were stillgrumbling about too many tire kickers and not enough spenders.

A few outfitters disappeared in the past day or two, including one African safari outfitteracross from the NRA booth. Everything is still there except for the people and some of the critter displays. Rumor was one or two outfitterswere busted for illegal transfers/importation of animal parts or something similar, but'cha know how rumors are.

Pretty good week at the NRA booth for recruiting/nenewing memberships.

Found a few bargains, including "new"6mm Rem.M788 Remington magazines for $28 at the Gun Parts (Numrich) booth. They are one of the hardest replacement mags to find for the M788. Lots of folks hagglin' for bargains today, since many figure vendors will sell something a bit cheaper on the last day, rather than pack all that stuff up and haul it to the next show. Not a big crowd day though, as the Elmerton Ave. shuttle parking lot wasn't even open this morning.

Bought several tickets for theraffle drawing at today's POWA auction. Grand prize on the raffle was a specially-commissioned M99 Savage takedown in 300 Savage. Beautiful engravedrifle (modeled after one that Ned Smith owned), fitted wood case, Leupold scope, etc. Several other rifles and scopes in the raffle, all I got were the ticket stubs.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Outfitters have always grumbled about Harrisburg. I know of some fromthe deepsouth and out west who no longer come, BUT theycame every year, 10-20years ago when they were just getting started. Everyone has to start someplace.

Now that they've established themselves and are getting enough clients from word-of-mouth, advertsand established reps, they no longer have to bother with shows like the one in Harrisburg to book their seasons. Years ago a friend of mine here, used to store "back drops" and set them up at Harrisburg each year on Friday, for those outfitters. Helped himhaul them over and set them up several times over the years. Itgot me a pass to see the shows, for my efforts.

Heard a coupla different versions of what you stated about arrests, didn't really have time to check yesterdaywith outfitters that I know, to verify the rumors. Something like that happens almost every year now. Ifigure certain people are under watch each yearand the fish and game folks just wait to see who shows up with what?