Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks >

Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Default RE: Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

[&:]
Old 02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Excellent - Glad I got your attention and at least this is a neat first step.

Next time use your gun and KILL THEM YOUTIES!

Old 02-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

How many should we keep here?

After attacks, Framingham has license to kill coyotes
By Norman Miller/ MetroWest Daily News
Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - Updated: 07:34 AM EST

In a coyote counterattack, Framingham animal control officers are killing the wild animals to keep them from attacking pets.

Assistant Animal Control Officer Joe Shepherd tracked a pack of coyotes into a wooded area near the Sudbury River on Sunday and shot all four of them, Framingham Police spokesman Lt. Paul Shastany said.

“It’s in the best interest of the public and it supersedes the rights of the coyotes to circulate in the neighborhood where there are pets and small children,” said Shastany.

Shooting coyotes is not allowed unless they are considered a public safety concern, according to Colleen Olfenbuttel, a wildlife biologist for the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife.

In Framingham’s case, it looks as if the shooting was justified.

On Saturday, a coyote attacked and killed a 13-year-old cocker-shih tzu in the back yard of a Perry Henderson Road home. The dog was owned by Eileen and Robert White.

Eileen White said the coyote’s deaths will make the neighborhood safer.

“Oh great. I am happy. I’m so glad,” she said.

It is not unusual for a coyote to attack and kill small household animals, said Scott Giacoppo, deputy director of advocacy of the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention Cruelty to Animals.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 PM

It's not the number of coyotes that is causing problems in urban/suburban areas (like Framingham or Mattapan) it is their behavior. People in these neighborhoods allow coyotes to develop this behavior. The animals will test people out, after watching them from a distance, they start to come closer to homes and stay out in daylight hours.People in the neighborhood reinforce this behavior, either through fear or nonchalance, by running the otherway, ignoring the canines presence or actually rewarding them and trying to get them closer (disturb dens to get a picture of the pups, or directly reward them with food by hand feeding). Once they learn that "these furless, pink things on 2 legs" aren't a threat they can become bold and sometimes as domesticated as a dog. I've heard about areas where they sleep on peoples porches! Coyotes are just like dogs, they have a dominant/submissive territorial social structure and we as humans have to assert the dominance from the beginning. In tight neighborhoods where houses are packed like sardines you can't discharge a firearm and can't use the most efficient traps for canines in MA, they learn very quickly not to fear people. This doesn't mean they start to see us as prey, because they don't. They start to believe our yards are their territories and become more visible.
Those coyotes in Framingham were severly infected with mange (which happens high density wildlife populationis) with no fur on their tails and municipal ACO's have authority to euthanize sick wildlife.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-10-2007, 04:55 PM

Nord QC Bouman, No one here isagainst shooting them. Just have a little respect for all living, breathing creatures.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's not the number of coyotes that is causing problems in urban/suburban areas (like Framingham or Mattapan) it is their behavior. People in these neighborhoods allow coyotes to develop this behavior.
Is that why up here there is no closed season on them and they still kill house pets as well as livestock? Because we let them learn to do it by shooting them? Get real, coyotes here are hybred cross with a wolve, and are not afraid of very much when it comes to eating. Here they have folks that will go into towns and try to get rid of the ones that come into them and kill pets. They still like to come into towns all over here too, and we didn't teach them that trick either. After last years mild winter though there numbers have dropped a little as they had a hard time catching deer that was not yarding up. So we all hope we do not get much more snow here to help those coyotes starve themselves out.

Just have a little respect
Yeah we respect them alright when they have been shot!

I meant to add this. This is a photo of a moose antler that a coyote chewed last winter. Normally coyotes do not chew on theses, and when they do hardly ever to this extent. I am under the impression this one was starving as they had thined out the deer herd there and rabbits are no where to be found. I had also found one in another area chewed completely in half.