Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks >

Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

Hammer them Chris!
You could never shoot out a coyote population because of the reasons stated by other posters.But it wouldn't stop me from trying to thin them big time.They kill a heck of a lot of deer and no one will ever convince me that they don't.I have seen them take down seemingly healthy deer.Predator and Prey I understand.Every one I can legally kill is going to get my best effort to do so.
Trapping is the way to put the biggest dent in their population.I pulled a tree stand Sunday and saw two sets of coyote tracks and one set of fox tracks.I did see a decent amount of deer tracks though.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:58 AM

Please, Who would want to KILL ALL of anything?? Thats a bad statement to make. Then how would you be able to ever hunt them again??? Wasn't the buffalo and wolf destruction bad enough? I just hate hearing horrible statments like that from a fellow hunter who are supposed to be conservationists.
I agree.

I don't know how legal this would be in your area, but I've heard about some people I know getting rid of a bunch of coyotes this way.

Go buy the biggest triple hooks you can find, you'll need some decent sized ones. Find yourself some small chain or steel cable, and hang hang your hooks about 3 feet off the ground, make sure they are anchored well. Go to your local meat shop and buy some really cheap pork chops, and bait each hook with one.

When the 'yotes jump up to grab the pork chop, the hook catches them by the mouth and they can't get off because their front feet will not be able to touch the ground. These people told me their success rate was about 80% with these things, which is darn good. Keep in mind they were in a remote area so they didn't have to worry about catching little Johnny's black lab.
Thats downright disgusting! Anyone that does this should have the same done to them! Just imagine the suffering involved with this idea.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Coyotes are making a COMEBACK, they did pretty much eliminate them way back w/ wolves, buff, etc. Thats why they limited these mass kill methods. We are hunters, not murderers, I don't want the hunting community to get the wrong image. I never want an animal to suffer, shooting is so humane compared to any other type of death except for euthanasia. Kill them all gives the PETAs of the world ammo to fight us. The hook thing is off the hook but that is for a man'slivestock &livelyhood. Like you say, when they kill some or one of your own you have a diff viewpoint. Hell they were after my litter of pups in the fall, I just had to be extra vigilant.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:31 AM

Killing any animal no matter how cruel the method is not MURDER! Murder only applies to people. That's a PETA idea and I'm sick of hunters referring to killing any animal as "murder".
Old 02-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

If you read all the posts I don't see how you couldn't call it that, but I know murder is reserved for human death. Kill them all for the sake of killing them is not hunting and not condoned by any legitamate hunter.Call it what you want, officially it is Wanton Waste, isn't it? This is what gives the anti's ammo to use in calling all of us murderers. And the average citizen hears(Kill them all)and makes the same association.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i believe that he will also be hunting them for hides. i would hope anyway. killing them and letting them lie there is a waste of an animal.

but getting the hides off of 'em wouldnt be murder as i see it.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like seeing them - and I've changed my mind on them & deer over the last 10 years. I'd like to take a couple and have the pelts tanned for my cabin - but otherwise I think they are pretty neat.

If you are seeing lots of coyote tracks and few deer - that is a good thing, and it probably means that the yotes are not feeding on healthy deer much iin your area- and have another foor source. I've only seen them really target healthy deer in my area (and we have lots too) - when the snow is deep - like 2-3 ft+ deep.

Here's a great looking one in full prime from a couple weeks ago:

FH

Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Kill them all was not stating he was wanting fur because if that was the case then there would not be anymore stock to harvest in the future if he had his way, an outdoorsman wants to guarantee a renewable and conitinous resource that is in harmony with nature. Sure thinning them out is just fine.

Anyway they are awesome to see and be able to hunt. They have a right to hunt & eat deer just like us. Thats what hunters are all about. Living in balance with nature.

Awesome pic Farm Hunter and GREAT website/blog
Old 02-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Holy cow. I guess I better rethink my strategy and begin a yotie conservation forum to increase the population and begin a feeding program to make sure they maintain strong numbers and keep the eco balance that is needed.I think I feel a need to call Chuck Shumer and Ted Kennedy to get thismovement going.

Get real man - when you see them - shoot them and leave them for the eco system to feed on. Maybe when they get closer to your house you will rethink your green peace mind set.

If I knew there were coyote conservationist in this forum I certanly would have used words like "I really worry about these animals" andmaybe we should have a town meeting about how to handle the un-controlled population".....

Holy Cow again.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Nord QC Bouman
Holy cow. I guess I better rethink my strategy and begin a yotie conservation forum to increase the population and begin a feeding program to make sure they maintain strong numbers and keep the eco balance that is needed.Get real man - when you see them - shoot them and leave them for the eco system to feed on. Maybe when they get closer to your house you will rethink your green peace mind set.

If I knew there were coyote conservationist in this forum I certanly would have used words like "I really worry about these animals" andmaybe we should have a town meeting about how to handle the un-controlled population".....
People that speak without thought, itssad but fact of life.

I said you NEVER KILL ALL of ANY species. The balance of nature must be maintained which includes proper deer herd numbers and proper varmints numbers. Get out of the 3rd grade and smell the wildflowers.

Closer to my house!? They have been their since I moved their 17 years ago. I had to maintain a HIGH vigilance this fall because I had a litter of pups. The coyotes were at my house the day they were whelped. The fresh smell of afterbirth and yipes of puppies brought them every night. I had to be armed and with them every time I put them out at night to go. Sure if the kill a pup I will hunt harder for them for awhile until the revenge subsides. But I just manage what I do to avoid any such loss. I keep all my dogs out in the pen because they will not try anything to six dogs but might to 4 mnt olds by themselves. WHen I loose quail, pheasant etc. I work on the ones in the yards. Heck they have hunted the neighbors. Everyone has to learn to live with nature, be it bears, cougars, wolves, or coyotes. I don't go out and perform genocide on the critters. Your a sad excuse of a sportmans if you don't believe in conservation of open space and the wildlife that lives in it.

Don't be so ridiculous. If poop flows when mouth is open please keep a tight lid on it.[:-]

Quick Reply: Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.