Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Great MA Gun Opener >

Great MA Gun Opener

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Great MA Gun Opener

Old 12-03-2002, 08:50 AM
Spike

Default Great MA Gun Opener

Me and two other guys were out for the MA gun opener yesterday and we all scored bucks. I took a 150 lb mature buck at 7:50am and one of the other guys took a 100lb button buck at 8:10am. Third guy got a mature buck later in the day in the 150lb. range. Deer were very active with a total of 14 deer sighted.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:54 AM
Spike

Default RE: Great MA Gun Opener

I should have also added that the buck I took was fighting with two others over three does just before I took him and the buck taken later in the day was tending two does as well with a larger buck so the rut is either late or it's already post-rut with the last does decoming ripe but either way look for the does and you'll find the bucks.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:27 PM

There was 6 of us in my group and we took 8 deer in the last two days. 5 does and 3 bucks. My friend Mike shot a nice 8 pointer. I put some pictures up on my website at the link below.
We got about 5 inches of snow last night down here in zone 11.
We had a blast tracking them in the snow today.
http://www.bassfishingcapecod.com/02gunseason.htm
Old 12-03-2002, 08:17 PM

tommac or reddawn, what type of land are you hunting? is it private or public hunting? Im from boston an im looking to do some muzzleload hunting this year, first time in mass, any spots or areas you guys know that i can hunt? im not asking for your hunting spot, but just a little help on where i should consider looking at to get started. ive been hunting northern n.h for the last 13yrs with very little success at all,and would like to try my luck in mass...any help would be greatly appr. congrats on taken your deer men, great job!! thanks again, buckless ===========

bill surette
Old 12-04-2002, 09:11 AM
Spike

Bill,
I hunt private land only with permission and it's tough to get permission in my area. I suggest you go out to western mass in the Berkshires or Pittsfield area where there's much more open land with public access however you can only harvest bucks without a doe tag for the zone you're hunting. Good luck
Old 12-04-2002, 04:00 PM

I also hunt only private land with written permission only. I even have to leave my signed permission slip on the windshield of my truck.
The WMA'a in the area have some great hunting though. I'd suggest looking into Haskell Swamp WMA in Rochester/Marion. It is a little known WMA with lots of deer. If you are 100% sure you're heading down this way for muzzleloader season email me and i'll point you in the right direction. I usually hunt alone anyway, maybe i'll even hunt with you.
Matt
Old 12-05-2002, 11:13 AM
jf5

Hunted Zone 3 in the Berkshires Mon-Wed. Me and 1 buddy saw a total of 11 does and 3 bucks. My buddy got a small doe, and a small 6 pt buck. I am still deerless. We are hunting public land, but accessing through private land.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:57 AM

glad to hear you guys did well this season. however, this may be the beginning of the end for hunting in your state if you aren't careful.

check out what the antis are now trying to doing on Cape Cod.
US Sportsmen's Alliance

Old 12-07-2002, 08:36 PM

sometimes i wonder why i even pay the $$ to buy these licenses in MA.
my buddy took 2 deer so far and i let 5 does and 2 small bucks go by me today.they sure look like dogs.

Old 12-09-2002, 08:00 AM
jf5

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
sometimes i wonder why i even pay the $$ to buy these licenses in MA.
my buddy took 2 deer so far and i let 5 does and 2 small bucks go by me today.they sure look like dogs.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> Try hunting areas of MA with the lower deer density and you will see bigger bodied deer. If you only hunt SE MA, almost all the deer will be smaller body wise since there are so many deer on limited resources.

Quick Reply: Great MA Gun Opener

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.