Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters >

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Old 03-14-2007, 01:00 PM

Default RE: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

huh?[&:]
Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 AM

OK I'll bite. Here are my comments on this thread so far. Bear in mind that my "hunting situation" is different than most in that I have a 3 month archery season on Long Island and I hunt bow, muzzleloader, shotgun and rifle in all portions of the state, Adirondacks - Northern Zone ML & Rifle, Hudson Valley - Southern Zone Bow & Rifle & ML, and Southern Tier - Shotgun, Bow & ML. Yes I do have an understanding wife and lots of unused vacation time.

I like the Monday opener. Saturday and Sunday prior to opening day are for drinks, card, stories, lies, tall tales and hangovers.

I would like an early muzzleloader season in the south.

DEC does indeed have a thankless job. With all the people I hunt with and doe tags being assignable, collecting venision via DMP's is never a problem for us. In all honesty I could care less if I get a deer every year - there is way more to hunting than claiming a harvest. Being a pusher on a well executed drive that results in deer is a sweet reward in itself. Everyone in camp gets venision, share and share alike. Some years I get 3 deer and some years I get none. None is rare, but when it happens I'm OK with it.

Dont like the antler restriction thing. It doesn't apply to me but I dont like it all the same.

Rifles anywhere in the state would be OK with me. In my experience I have seen more ya-hoo's slinging lead from shotguns (AKA emptying the gun of all 5 rounds) than I have in rifles. Rifles more often than not result in 1 shot, efficientkills. Yes I have postholed many deer with the slug gun and I do love carrying the 12 ga. and will continue to do so regardless of laws but rifles on the edges of 75 acre fields are almost a requirement.

Scared to death of CWD, spongiform bovine encephalopathy, mad cow and what ever else is out there. I have worked on Plum Island (google it if you dont know what it is) and can tell you 1st hand it aint pretty. Rubber gloves for gutting and all bones out during butchering for me please.

Orange + Guns + Woods is a must!
You can't legislate the stupid though. If you dont wear it (at least a hat and some gloves) when guns are in the woods you are an idiot with a death wish.....period.
Nuff Said
Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

Great read and some good ideas although I can't say I fully agree with them all. Here are my thoughts on some of them. I'm from and hunt WNY area.

Crossbows, I have no problems with allowing them if a season was started.

Orange - I always at least wear an orange cap and usually an orange vest. I know some guys that "claim deer can see it", but while sitting at the base of a tree last year a young doe almost stepped on me while I was wearing mine. I'm not sure I'd want to see a law regulating the wearing of it though. If some people want to be stupid and risk getting shot by mistake, well thats what we got natural selection for.

Early Muzzle loader season, I'd rather not have any gun fire in the woods during my bow season. It amazes me in my 2 seasons hunting how the deer go to ground once the sounds of guns start ringing through the woods. I have hunted with a muzzle loader last two years during late season and even a bit with mine during regular season. Since their is no restriction on using them during regular season I don't see the need for an early season for muzzle loaders.

Antler Restrictions: The guys I hunt with and as far as we know most of the people that hunt the properties around us have our own rule of 6pts or better. Not to say that a 4pt or spike probably doesn't get taken in our general area now and then.I'll even admit during Bow this year I took a shot at a 4point and missed (it was my first season of hunting a stand, first buck I'd seen in shooting range ever, and first deer I'd had in range with a bow so I had a hard time restraining myself)If you want to better the antler size of bucks taken you can talk to the people in your community and self police it to a degree. Now that I got my first buck a smaller 10pointer this season, I think I can control my impulses better next year if that 4pointer walks by.

Mon v. Sat regular season starter:
I've only hunted the last 2 season, which I believe both started Sat. I'm in favor of the Sat (a little biased because thats the day I took my first buck last year) and since I work weekdays the Monday start would mean trying to get off work or miss the first few days of the season for me. I could live with a Sunday start though I don't see that as being an unreasonable compromise.

Rifles in the Southern Zone: One of the places I hunt is my father's place in East Otto, NY and rifles are legal there. I sort have mixed feelings about them. I know the neighbor's house had been hit years ago from idiots target shooting (not during hunting season) with gunfire, because people weren't using their heads and proper backstops. On the other hand I think it is nice that the opportunity is available (although not sure I'd ever use one to hunt) I enjoy the challenge of getting close too much, and would be a little nervous probably using one knowing the distance they can carry. I'd say leave it open for rifles next couple years at least and re-evaluate based on what happens.

As to overlap of deer and waterfowl seasons, I did do some goose and duck hunting this year and it does kind of stink that you have to decide to use up some of your valuable deer time (especially for someone that is pretty much just able to hunt weekends) I am not knowledgable enough about the reasonings for why the waterfowl seasons are setup as they are to suggest any changes though.

I'm not a big fan of 1 buck limit idea. I sure would have hated to have taken that 4pointer I mentioned in early bow season and have to let that 10pointer walk later during regular season. I agree with what was said the does being more important to population size. I was also just happy I had some Doe permits this year because taking a Buck on Opening day of regular season would have really been a bummer if it mean't I was done hunting for the season. I enjoy the time in the woods as much as the harvest. One of the things I actually enjoyed more then taking the buck this last year was watching a doe literly sleep under me in my stand for about 30 mins.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:37 PM

Archery Aug. 1 - November 16
Shotgun/Rifle Nov. 17th to Dec 10
Late Muzzle Loader Dec 11-19

PS can hunt with a bow during muzzle loading
Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to see 12 yrs old for Bow & 14 yrs old for Gun. 10 or no age limit for small game with an adult.

In todays lifestyle - I worry the average kids will lose interst by the time they can finally hunt in NY.

I think we are pretty lucky in NY with the seasons & bag limits. The only change I'd like to see is an Oct 1st opener for bow - or an early season Doe only ML Season in the southern teir - but I'm not too worried about either.

FH

Old 08-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Lack of response from NY hunters might be the fact that you started this thread at the end of our last season. I personally haven't checked this site since last December. There's more to life than just Deer Hunting. (My hunting friends won't believe I just wrote that!) There's Trout and Steelhead Fishing also!
As far as what you see as the perfect Deer Season, all I can say is mine would read like this:
BOW SEASON: October 1st thru December 31st
Everything else......ILLEGAL !!!

BUT SERIOUSLY, I'm an avid Bowhunter who uses Shotgun and Muzzle loader also. Not to start a pissing match with anyone, but crossbows are for the handicapped. Lighter restrictions wouldn't bother me at all where they are concerned. Blow tubes ARE a little over the top.
I'd leave everything else the same except to extend the late M/L season to the end of December. Early October is just to thick in the woods to really be effective with any weapon in my eyes. I also like to try and hunt unmolested animals during the Archery season. It's tough enough as it is.
Rifles are fine for those who feel they need them. I only own one center fire rifle. It's a .22 Hornet, which I use for woodchucks and Coyotes. I live in Broome County and they haven't passed any new legislation on rifle hunting here. I doubt they ever will.(county-wide)
I'd agree we should be able to introduce our children to hunting at an earlier age.
Blaze orange is a no-brainer. I wear a hat and a vest whenever I go out.
Antler restrictions should be self-imposed. Last year I held out for a nice 8 Point I had seen many times, only to find out he was hit by a car in the middle of Bow Season. I ended up taking a decent 6 Point during the last week of early Bow. There really are quite a few nice Bucks running around in NY State as it is. I've got trail cam pictures of a beautiful 8 Point and a slammer 10 Point that I got late in December, right through early March. Really gives you something to look forward to. Everyone in my neighborhood just gasped when they saw the pics. They all hunted the same area as I do. I think a lot of A/R advocates are guys who want a 10 point behind every tree. Opening morning, walk out to your stand, suck down half a cup of coffee, shoot the first 10 that walks by, finish your coffee and then go home and call your taxidermist. Better yet, call him right from your stand! Don't tell me what I can or can't shoot. And especially don't tell my young sons what they can or can't shoot. 3" on one side has been and should still be fine for those who choose to harvest small bucks!
Saturday vs. Monday opener? I liked Monday. I hunted both of the last two Saturday openers. Never saw a Deer or another hunter two years ago. Last year my older son(first year) passed a nice shot at a doe. HIS CHOICE! Saw two other hunters, both up in years. Haven't seen any younger(16-18 yr) hunters yet. If they hadn't changed the dates, I would let my son take a day off from school anyway.
And as far as a 1 Buck limit goes, that only seems to me to be something that would be needed if we had a seriously large shortage of Deer overall. I don't really think that we do in NY State! I saw at least a half-dozen smaller Bucks last Bow season that I passed on. None of my neighbors harvested any of them. They did, on the other hand, harvest some doe. I believe it was said earlier in this thread, "Does control the Deer population", or something to that effect. I agree 100%. Maybe this year they'll see no Bucks again and LESS doe than last year. We don't need a 1 Buck limit. We need more Deer hunters who know how to hunt Bucks!
Anyway, these are just my thoughts and opinions. Like I said earlier, "Not to start a pissing match with anyone", but you asked for some input. Here it is. Please don't chastise me for my beliefs. More times than I care to think about, I've been told how wrong I was about this issue or that. It only makes me believe more in what I feel is right. People I don't know on a hunting forum are not going to sway me in any other direction!

Let The DEC Do What They Think Is Right!!!
J-Bow
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Spike

In my opinion,I like the seasons the way they are with the exception of the muzzleloader season. I think it should be extended to the end of December and I don't think there should be any early muzzle season. I have never bowhunted but I think the bowhunters should have the ability to go out and hunt without having to listen to guns. I am thinking of bowhunting next year and I would like to just bowhunt.
I already have a season to use my guns. I see no reason why rifles should be restricted anywhere.
Not wearing orange is just plain stupid during gun season, but I don't think it should be a regulation.
Antler restrictons are for trophy hunters and have no other use but that. If you don'tchoose to shoot a spike or fork then don't shoot. If you choose to shoot a spike or fork then good for you.(notice the word CHOOSE) I am going to shoot whatever puts food on the table. That is why I hunt. If given the choice between a small spikeor a big Doe,I am shooting theDoe. But if given thechoice between a small Doeor a bigger spike, I am shooting the spike. The overall deer herd is managed by reducing the # of Doe's to a proper level and not by only allowing us to shootbig bucks. We do need to remove some young bucks just as much as we need to remove big bucks and Doe's. Itis what is best for the habitat and herd.
As for a 1 buck limit, well that is also silly. I should have the choice to shoot whatever I want with the proper tags. We get 1 buck in gun season which is just fine.We have the choice in bow season to shoot1 deer of either sex.I see no reason why that choice should be taken away.
I like the Saturday opener. It gives some people a chance to hunt opening day that normally could not if it wereon Monday.
Lowering the age of hunting is a no brainer. Most states have much lower ages than NY. I would go with 8 years old for small game. 12 years for big game with a bow or shotgun only(no rifle). 16 years for rifle.

At the beginning of this my first statement was "In my opinion". This means this is my opinion. If you do not agree with me than that is your right. That is what makes this country so great, we have the right to have our own opinions.I hope not everybody agrees with me because if so then the world would be boring.I also used the words choose and choice in this statement. That is also a reason this country is great, we have the right to choose and this should never be taken away from us. I hope everybody has a great season. Good Luck!!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM

Rifles in the S. Zone-now that slug guns and inlineML'sare capable of 200-yard shots, why keep this regulation. I believe it is just one of those laws that has been in place forso long that lawmakers don't even know why it was putthere in the first place and don't feel like changing it.
I would even be happy with alaw that allowed rifles of"levergun" calbers i.e. .30-30, .45-70, .32 Special,.44 magnum, etc. and some of the lesser power standard cartridges in the S. zone

More areas open for doe tags. In 6NI figured a ratio of 20:1, does to bucks last fall. give us a state wide doe tag.

Awinter late season on does. end of December or beginning of January. It works in other states.

Year-long season on Crows. And all week long.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Howdy!

Not to hyjack but I'm new here and from NY. I look forward to swapping hunting stories with you.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 PM

Hyjack away! Welcome aboard!!!

5 Weeks, 2 Days and counting till BOW!!!

Adams,NY? Do you do any Steelhead fishing up that way?

J-Bow

Quick Reply: New Years Resolutions for NY Hunting & Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.