HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   moose in mass! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/175995-moose-mass.html)

scarp262 01-18-2007 03:55 PM

moose in mass!

Well for all of you that dont know there has been a growing population of moose inmass,and even new yorkthis is a new thing they just started appearing in the past few years and i was wondering if any body has seen any or any pictures.

Thanks, Mike

jf5 01-19-2007 09:17 AM

RE: moose in mass!

I saw one during the 1996 shotgun season...he was a small bull about 20 yards away..I was shocked and thought my friends would not beleive me back then. I have not seen one in MA since, but see the sign everywhere now. Lots of rubs and droppings, even some fur here and there. Its becoming a common thing in many parts of the state.

Mike Hill 01-19-2007 10:14 AM

I know a few years back one got hit by a car in Raynham Mass on either RT. 18 or 44 I can't remember which. Story and photos were in the local news paper. Brockton Enterprize.. Now thats pretty far east almost to the cape. The fish and game denied it and were pretty red faced when this happened. I have seen them every now and then in FLa. Mass. as well. Again thats N. West Mass. where they say there is a large population.

Western MA Hunter 01-19-2007 12:12 PM

Saw one the last day of muzzleloader in Blandford. Ran into our drive...
Walked up on 3 last year in Blandford as well.
There was alsoa cow hanging out in East Lee quite a bit this hunting season... I got some pics on the disposable.
Every year they are getting hit on the MassPike around Blandford / Otis. I know many guys who have seen them hunting out that way. There have been several hit in Lanesboro the past couple of years and one was actually hit a couple of months ago on Washington Mtn Road near the Becket line and another on 7/20 in Lenox early September this year too. Both were nice bulls too.

PredatorTrapper 01-19-2007 12:28 PM

Massachusetts roughly has a moose population of around 700-800 animals. They have been seen in Connecticut as well. The largest density is not in Western MA, it is in Northern Worcester County. Some people mistakenly shoot them for deerat the Quabbin hunt, so I've heard.

jf5 01-19-2007 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

Saw one the last day of muzzleloader in Blandford. Ran into our drive...
Walked up on 3 last year in Blandford as well.
There was alsoa cow hanging out in East Lee quite a bit this hunting season... I got some pics on the disposable.
Every year they are getting hit on the MassPike around Blandford / Otis. I know many guys who have seen them hunting out that way. There have been several hit in Lanesboro the past couple of years and one was actually hit a couple of months ago on Washington Mtn Road near the Becket line and another on 7/20 in Lenox early September this year too. Both were nice bulls too.
I see tons of moose sign in Otis. Thats where I saw the bull in 1996..

One side question..Blandford is writtenpermission only huntingtown right??

jamiebuck 01-20-2007 12:18 PM

seen 3 in the quabbin hunt 2cows and a nice bull ,also hunting the becket otis line seen rubs all threw this area plus some scat:) there out there hoppfully they will have a lottery hunt for them;)

sybigbuck 01-20-2007 02:23 PM

There are two last week headed for haverhill mass ,they went south out of hampstead..

djgj200 01-23-2007 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: PredatorTrapper

Massachusetts roughly has a moose population of around 700-800 animals. They have been seen in Connecticut as well. The largest density is not in Western MA, it is in Northern Worcester County. Some people mistakenly shoot them for deerat the Quabbin hunt, so I've heard.
My dad had one almost run him over this year in the Quabbin as there was a group of guys nearby doing a drive. It was a monster bull moose. Once it saw my dad about 10-15 ft. away it bolted off in another direction and my brother got a glimpse of its rearend about 50 yards out about 20 seconds later.

I've only heard of a moose being shot in the quabbin once, and it was when the state had just started putting on the Quabbin hunts.

Personally, I have yet to see a moose.

PredatorTrapper 01-23-2007 05:48 PM

A moose, maybe more than one, was shot this past hunting season in quabbin.