Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Declining license sales in PA, a new theory >

Declining license sales in PA, a new theory

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Declining license sales in PA, a new theory

Old 01-13-2007, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Declining license sales in PA, a new theory

You might find what you are looking for here:
http://www.iafwa-awds.com/awds/public/rpt_all.asp
Old 01-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Patrky but that link has no PA data
Old 01-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

it amazes me to even think that hunters would do this....just so they can shoot a second buck, i bet they don't even send in the report card either....so there just poaching but have a tag just in case there arestopped bring the deer home....ring ring "PGC i know this guy that uses his non-hunting wifes tag to shoot 2 bucks a year for himself" sounds like if anyone knows of this going should be making phone calls, i know i would be, friend or not....or else we would be just as bad as them, don't ya think....if we want to start making hunting in PA better i think it's time to start letting the GC know bout these people we know that do stuff like this....i know this hunting club that posted property that is a no hunting community within 100 feet of houses in the community, and i know they don't have permission to hunt there safety zones....well lets just say this past deer season the WCO were out in force along that boarder they had posted....the funny thing is there's gamelands just up the road....i'm doing my part are you???.................bob
Old 01-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

It was a common practice before tags became so easy to get. The point here is that it is less necessary for a guy to get tags for other family members when he can get all he wants in his own name.

Even if we're talking about a buck tag, someone dishonest enough to shoot extra deer can simply carry that used buck tag in his pocket while he has a legitimate doe tag on his back, shoot a second buck and tag it with the already used tag. thsi might also have something to do with the reporting rate going down too.

I havent heard of any cases in the past few years. If I did, I'd report it. Most of the time you'd become aware of it months or weeks after the fact when a guy said with a sly smile that his wife got her buck from the living room or something like that.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Never been any great shortage of people who were eager to cheat the system by using someone else's tag or trying to re-use their own tags, back when PA hunters were limited to ONE deer per year. It may have changed things a bit after we could shoot one buckAND a doe, especially after it became common to be able toobtain an extra doe tag or two?

As for the license sales decline, if not mistaken NY's sales declined 20% over the past five years, while PA's sales declined 13%. No one wants to see hunter numbers continue to decline, but there are obviously more reasons for the decline, than just fewer deer.

For anyone that thinks current trends are cause for concern, wait until all of us "baby boom" geezers start hangin' itup in a few more years, since we're already 60 or 61.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I remember right the practice of using the wife's license was mostly used for an extra doe or two.
NY numbers did decrease by quite a margin while last year the country as a whole actually saw a small increase.I do agree as our population ages we're going to see some big drops.
I'm going to see if I can find the license stats to see if BT's hunch shows up.Also when we got started hunting as pipsqueaks the big thing around here was pheasant/rabbit hunting.As the pheasants disappeared and prime hunting land was lost to developement most of our dads quit hunting.It was too late for us kids though we were already hooked and got into things like turkey instead.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

You guys must be talking about the new generation of hunters, I have been hunting Va. and Pa. for 50 years most of the hunters I have known were happy with 1 deer, now it seem like a lot of hunters must kill 4 or 5 to be happy, I know they can't eat that many. I know the slobs have always been out there but it is good to turn them in when you have the proof. SPORT

I GUESS IF IT'S BROWN IT'S DOWN IS HERE TO STAY. [&o]
Old 01-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lost,I think the big difference here is that one way it's illegal and the other way it's legal.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

All I'm trying to say here is that it may be helping with the decline in license sales. The lack of timething is obviously the biggest factor here and the baby boom thing is about to deal a crippling blow. My only point is that I'd bet this is a small part of it too.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: germain

Lost,I think the big difference here is that one way it's illegal and the other way it's legal.
The parents do this kind of garbage then they wonder why the kids turn out like hellians!!!

Quick Reply: Declining license sales in PA, a new theory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.