Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New York Antler Restrictions State Wide? >

New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Old 01-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Default RE: New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

I don't know about the rest but I have only taken a deer with less than 8 points and the only reason I did so was because some moron with a shotgun blew the lower hind leg off a 4 point and I put it out of it's misery.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you would shoot a 2 1/2 8pt?
Barely a teenager and far from mature.
Just trying to understand.

Steve
Old 01-19-2007, 09:07 PM

I guess I haven't made my point, there are a number of ways to tell if a deer is mature or not. You are equating an 8 point rack is oonly on a 2-1/2 year old deer and that is not true. The 8 point I took was sway backed showed white markings on around it's eyes therefore it was at least 4 or 5 yrs old. So no I wouldn't shoot a young buck, fact is I only took a doe this year to fill my freezer.

We as hunters need to make a decission and that is what is the best thing to do for our sport and killing off all the young bucks is not it. This can be debated until the end of time and nothing will be accomplished, where the difference will be made is in the field. This is my last post on the subject.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 AM

The history of the 3" law is interesting, but we are talking about the future and not the past. Its a tradition based onthe facts at that time, yes, but that was a much differnet time. You even stated yourself its based on conditions of the early 1900's.The herd was long ago restored and managing the herd has longreplaced expantion of the herd. I don't understand where I "re-wrote" history...but some in NYare trying to change the future. History of NY hunting means nothing on this argument except traditon. Off course I don't advocate shooting 2" spikes. I simply played DA to make a point.
Good post jf5. Yes, this is 2007! Our deer habitat has been destroyed by our deer numbers because of our traditional hunting regulations.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

In our group we go by the face, not the rack. You can easily tell the difference between a 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old deer by looking at it's face and body.
I really didn't care about the debate over AR until this year and figured it was a personel or group's decision. The hunting group that borders us shoots anything that moves,which I considered their choice, but this year a member of their group shot TWO spikes within 30 seconds of each other onthe property line and then stated it was the only bucks he saw all year(do you see the idiots logic here?) I had seen both bucks several times during the year and let them walk. I should have reported him for shooting two bucks.
The arguement for shooting a small buck because they "need meat" is bull, there are far more does than bucks that could be harvested, and the last time I checked they tasted the same.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should have reported him for shooting two bucks.
"Should have" - failing to do so is a big part of the problem.

The arguement for shooting a small buck because they "need meat" is bull, there are far more does than bucks that could be harvested, and the last time I checked they tasted the same.
What if you don't draw a doe tag - like many did not?

Steve
Old 01-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I haven't made my point, there are a number of ways to tell if a deer is mature or not. You are equating an 8 point rack is oonly on a 2-1/2 year old deer and that is not true.
I am not equating an 8 pt is only a 2 1/2 old deer - in fact, here an 8 pt is anywhere from 1 1/2 on up.

This means your stance of only shooting mature deer and we should have mandatory AR are NOT compatible and contradict each other.

Steve
Old 01-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Ok I lied this will be my last post on the subject. There is no contradiction if a hunter cannot look at a deer and tell it is a mature 8 point instead of a 2.5yr. old they should not be hunting the differences are quite apparent. As I and others have mentioned along with the ARs there should be a earn a buck system, this being you would get at least one doe tag that has to be filled and then after you call in your doe kill you get a buck tag.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you want AR plus a "maturity" restriction or a hunter would not be allowed to hunt?
AND you want to add "earn a buck"? What if you where one of the 1000's of hunter's that did not get a doe tag?

I think I understand - you want all hunters out of the woods who don't hunt like you.
Sounds like a sound management policy to me!
Another case of a hunter thinking his wants should prevail over all other hunters and any biological needs of the herd.

Steve

Not hunt at all?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Steve would you starve if you didn't get a deer?

Quick Reply: New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.