Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New York Antler Restrictions State Wide? >

New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Default New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

We all know do to pressure from hunting clubs, "SOME" DEC biologists and QDM practices in Penn.influencing some of NY's deer management ideas, that we will be into the 3rd year of the "antler restrictions" pilot program in a small portion of southern new york.These antler restrictions havecreated quite a debate locally where I live.
After talking to a NYS DEC officer from albany county, the possibility of state wide antler restrictionshas a strong chance in 08 when the pilot program expires. Has anyone heard of the same? I hope restrictions become a reality for NY's herd.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:36 PM

Default RE: New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Yes,I actually heard the same... I know a DEC police officer and he told me the exact same thing the other night. It's funny that you wrote that !! He's stated to me that it will help the herd, but the hunters willn't like it for a few years when they start to see bigger deer(rack). Now,I like the idea, butI like to see deer in the woods when i hunt. Is this going to help or hurt I have no idea... but it's worth a try !!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:44 PM

Antler restrictions are worth a try. They are not perfect but will enable more 1.5 year old juvinile bucks to reach their second birthday. The same DEC officer said 90% of the bucks harvested in NY don't reach their second birthday! WOW! That's sad.
I support such a measure and already practice 6 point or bigger while everyone else shoots up most of the bucks i pass up on our small farm in Greene county. I think it's time to harvest more does and manage hunters from killing small bucks. It will improve everyone hunting.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

I heard the same story as you guys for the state wide antler restrictions.I think its a great idea as long as the does dont get slaughtered issuing too many doe tags.I hunt tioga county and the deer herd is way down from previous years.If it does happen i hope they do it the right way.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is this going to help or hurt I have no idea... but it's worth a try
Wow! You don't know if it hurt but you still want to try?

For all supporters of mandatory NYS AR:

- Do you know what hygrading is?

-Do you know that over 50% of the 1 1/2 year old bucks in central NY are 6 pt or better?

- Can you tell me how targeting the best of the 1 1/2 bucks will help anything?

- do you know that in many states where AR has been tried the average rack size of older bucks has decreased? (See hygrading).

- Do you know that there are WMU's in NY that have no doe permits and many others are being reduced?

-Can you explain why this was such a great year in NY for record or near record bucks taken OUTSIDE the AR zoneswithout AR?

Steve
Old 01-09-2007, 04:17 PM

-Do you know that over 50% of the 1 1/2 year old bucks in central NY are 6 pt or better?
So lets go 4on aside. I would love that. I think the reason they have three per side is to give the cry babies a pacifier.

-Can you explain why this was such a great year in NY for record or near record bucks taken OUTSIDE the AR zoneswithout AR?
Maybe because there are so many OUTSIDE of the AR zones that are practicing QDM or AR's on their own.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

30% of the 1 1/2 are 4 pt or better - it will be good to target these how?
See hygrading.

Maybe because there are so many OUTSIDE of the AR zones that are practicing QDM or AR's on their own.
Then why are mandatory AR needed.

By the way - do you want QDM or AR?trophy management?
They are not the same!

Doe permits are being reduced througout much of the state - eliminated in some wmu's. Combine this with mandatory AR/trophy mgmt and you end up with state sponsored trophy hunting - if successful, then land access will become an even bigger hurdle for the average hunter. How many hunters living in Pike County can hunt there anymore. Is this your goal?

Steve
Old 01-09-2007, 07:20 PM

I for one think antler restriction is just another way for New York to try to make an ungodly amount of money from non-resident hunters. Pennsylvania supports AR but the hunters I've talked to say that they have yet to see any improvement in antler size.What they have seen an increase in is the amount of dead deer they walk up on that do not meet the legal number of points.Lets face it, when you are in the woods and you see a deer walking towards you that is not a monster buck it takes discipline not to pull up and shoot. A lot of guys see a deer not knowing what class of deer it is and shoot. Don't get me wrong, if I need the meat I will shoot what ever it takes to put meat on the table, But if I'm horn huntin' I let the littlins walk. Thats my right as a hunter and I don't want any one dictating what I can or cannot shoot!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:03 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

What mite be better is to use rack width, in areas with good genes and food some of the 1 1/2 old deer can have 6pts or better. Maaybe some thing like 12 to 13 in. width. Rich
Old 01-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

What mite be better is to use rack width, in areas with good genes and food some of the 1 1/2 old deer can have 6pts or better
Just curious - did you read my posts?

Steve

Quick Reply: New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.