Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Possible Mt lion track >

Possible Mt lion track

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Possible Mt lion track

Old 01-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Possible Mt lion track

ORIGINAL: DougE

I do see deerand I can prove it by opening up my freezer.You can also contact anyone with the PGC and ask them to look up my harvest report cards.It takes them about a minute to get that information.People say they see these mountain lions but no one has proof.

I don't generally hunt way back in either except for a few places in and around Cameron county.
douge, how can you get proof when you call PGC and he says,I AM NOT COMING OUT,GROUND IS TO HARD..maybe if they were more INTERESTED in lions,more would be proven..

its sad that you never saw one here..most hunters i grew up with have seen 1 more than 1 time..

i only saw small one,once..i have never found track but where i hunt,no sighting..keating to pottersdale they are seeing lion and have been for at least 16 years..
Old 01-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

here's my take sproul,I've been hunting 30 plus years in mostly Potter/Clearfield counties and have yet to see a lion.A couple of years ago in March I did see some strange tracks at camp minus claws about the size of a 150 pound bear.A couple weeks after that a fellow told me he saw a mountain lion near camp.That was kinda strange but I'm thinking if there really were lions in PA somewhere along the line a hunter or even car would have killed one.Or even got a clear 100% proof pic of one.
Some guy just told me a truck marked {statewide ins} had two lions in the back up in potter county.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: germain

here's my take sproul,I've been hunting 30 plus years in mostly Potter/Clearfield counties and have yet to see a lion.A couple of years ago in March I did see some strange tracks at camp minus claws about the size of a 150 pound bear.A couple weeks after that a fellow told me he saw a mountain lion near camp.That was kinda strange but I'm thinking if there really were lions in PA somewhere along the line a hunter or even car would have killed one.Or even got a clear 100% proof pic of one.
Some guy just told me a truck marked {statewide ins} had two lions in the back up in potter county.
most likely, there are not many in pa..if i would have had camera and reacted QUICK, i would have had evidence, i know what i saw and witness ,to boot..

if the PGC would have come out and met with me, you would have had your proof..they said, ground is to hard..

these lions DONT sit around andwait for you to snap their picture..

would you like to talk to friend of mine in bitumen area, he lives there..he had a cougar come under his treestand on his private property.he was hunting archery..

he has been hunting for 45 years and knows what a bobcat looks like..

he also is leader at church, he does not lie, drink or curse..

he said it had tail about 2 ft long..i trust this person on what he saw..it was 20 yds away..

want to talk to him??
Old 01-12-2007, 05:12 AM

"Adult males may be more than 8 feet long from nose to end of tail and generally weigh between 130 and 150 pounds. Adult females can be 7 feet long and weigh between 65 and 90 pounds."
"A single male lion may require up to 175 square miles of territory for its home range. They prefer wild areas frequented by deer. One lion will consume about one deer per week. A lion will cover the remains of its prey and return to the kill to feed until the meat begins to turn.
They are most active at dawn and dusk, the times when deer are out feeding."

Seems as though dusk and dawn are when most hunters are in the woods in deer habitat --- same time as cougars would be out and about!

How many cougar kills have been found by hunters? And, how many have seen cougars return to feed for several days on a single deer kill?
If people are seeing cougars, why aren't they seeing any of the sign that proves cougars are there; skat, hair, provable tracks, kills, dens, good photos, on and on.
I'd never say there isn't any, I'd just say --- show me.

It's also funny that most stories are verifed by a preacher or some other unquestionable religious person!
Close to here, in Mehoopany, PA there supposedly was a truck delivering cougars that stopped at a diner to ask directions to the PGC field office.
Who did the driver ask directions from; A preacher, who would never lie.

In Laporte twp., PA two couples witnessed (at 3 a.m.) a WCO, and two men releasing a pair of cougars along rte. 220 near a place called Panther Lick. (that is a real place).
Who were those two couples? A minister and his wife, and another church couple returning from a religous retreat near State College.

Amen brother.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quotemost hunters i grew up with have seen 1 more than 1 time..

i only saw small one,once..i have never found track but where i hunt,no sighting..keating to pottersdale they are seeing lion and have been for at least 16 years.. ][/quote]

All these sightings and NEVER any proof other then a fleeting sighting.
And of course its the fault of the PGC.

NY has its problem but I see why Pa dominates the forum.

Steve
Old 01-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul,that's priceless.most hunters in your area have seen lions more than once but they can't seea deer.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ihave never discounted the possibility of a mountain lion or two being in this state.However,with all the reported sightings,you should have no trouble getting you dogs there in time to tree one.Go for it.You sound like your the proof everyone needs.Looking forward to seeing the pictures in the next couple of weeks.It's against the law to kill one but it's not against the law to let your dogs tree one so you can take a picture.

You must have missed the several pictures of proof that were posted on here the last couple of years.Every picture was obviously a bobcat but the debateraged on for days.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:21 AM

Jhoffman,

do yourself a favor and do not release the informaion on the location of that track to anyone either on this forum, PM's, emails or even tell your neighbor.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

The way I see it is you are most likely right about no one would believe you. But, the eastern cougar ( mt. lion ) is alot different then the western ones in looks as well as size. The eastern has less white on the throat and neck area and is much smaller. So, a camera would be much better use then a gun on it. And even if you find one I wouldn't want the gov. to know about it as then your hunting and trapping rules would become alot tougher then they all ready are.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baily,somewhere there's a petition where you can add you name to a list to run your dogs on reported mountain lion sightings in Pa.I imagine the USP would have the contact info.With all the constant sightings in should take more than a day or two to put your dogs on a trail less than 2 days old.You may even find a black one.

Quick Reply: Possible Mt lion track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.