HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   PA Pheasant Poacher, small fine! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/171158-pa-pheasant-poacher-small-fine.html)

Duckmastor2 12-20-2006 04:38 PM

PA Pheasant Poacher, small fine!

Pa. hunter fined for shooting mechanical pheasant
Associated Press

MEYERSDALE, Pa. - When a hunter got out of his vehicle and shot at a
pheasant, he didn't realize it was part of a ploy.

The bird actually was a mechanical pheasant used by the Pennsylvania Game Commission to trap hunters illegally shooting within 25 yards of the road.

Bryan Harris, 22, of Meyersdale, was cited for the Oct. 26 incident. On
Tuesday, a district judge fined Harris $150.

Game officials said illegal hunting is a year-round problem and they use
phony deer, turkeys and pheasants to battle the problem. When the hunters shoot, hidden game officials appear.

Harris declined comment Wednesday morning.

lead poisoner 12-20-2006 05:55 PM

RE: PA Pheasant Poacher, small fine!

I would of ran the bird over and kept on going if it was on the berm of the road. Thats one stupid bird I just took out of the gene pool if it stayed there while a 2700lb.+ steel sled came towards it. Don't want them kind of animals in the gene pool.:D

BTBowhunter 12-20-2006 06:48 PM

Road hunters beware! ROBORINGNECK is out there looking for you!;)

Big Country 12-20-2006 07:18 PM

All of the ringnecks in PA are dumb! It is because they are all pen raised birds.

All of the wild pheasants were shot to extinction back in the late 1970`s when Gary Alt was in charge of the pheasant program.

FOP23 12-20-2006 07:29 PM

Another fine allocation of Game Commision resources:

Cost of the robotic rooster
Manpower to conduct the "sting"
Court time after citation was issued
Misc. expenses (i.e. gas, state vehicle, ect)

Benefit = $150.00 fine split between the Game Commision, the municipality the offense occurred in and the Commonwealth, way to go guys.

sproulman 12-20-2006 07:36 PM

i hunt grouse here in pa.in wmu 2g..i hunt along roads at times with dog ,this is legal as long as you dont shoot accross road..

you would not believe no. of road hunters after grouse..

i seen them stop coming towards me or going other way, gun out window, bang, grouse..

i also have found numerous grouse along roads about 20 yds in that had been shot in morning and were still warm..if grouse flys away and dies they dont stop and chase it..

i found 4 this year that were shot and left lay..

do to lack of deer/grouse roadhunting is best way to cover territory and get your bird..

i got 7 grouse this year hunting with dog, i bet ones i saw that road hunt daily, got 50..

how they think thats fun is beyond me..

BTBowhunter 12-20-2006 07:43 PM

All of the ringnecks in PA are dumb! It is because they are all pen raised birds.
Gotta have something for those cougars and coyotes they released to eat besides deer! :D

To get back on topic, the fine doesnt seem harsh enough but the oother part of the story is that he will probably get a license suspension for at least a season.

No Mercy 12-20-2006 07:45 PM

I think the fine should of bee 200, but hey the guys desirves it

bearklr 12-21-2006 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: FOP23

Another fine allocation of Game Commision resources:

Cost of the robotic rooster
Manpower to conduct the "sting"
Court time after citation was issued
Misc. expenses (i.e. gas, state vehicle, ect)

Benefit = $150.00 fine split between the Game Commision, the municipality the offense occurred in and the Commonwealth, way to go guys.
Last time I checked the game commission was set up to police the game laws of the commonwealth not select those game laws which have the highest dollar mount attached to them and monitor only those.

DougE 12-21-2006 01:16 PM

Holly Molly,how you turn guys road hunting for grouse around to complain about the deer is beyond me.I fail to see how the two are inter-related.Besides,at one point weren't you telling us that's the way they did it during the depression?I guess some Sproul state forest traditions never die.