Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 What I see in my crystal ball, concerning PA. >

What I see in my crystal ball, concerning PA.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What I see in my crystal ball, concerning PA.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:12 PM

Default RE: What I see in my crystal ball, concerning PA.

ORIGINAL: doctariAFC

Sadly, we have this severe tunnel vision on deer. Reflects in the cried for QDM and AR etc. I don't hear too much in the way of habitat improvement, population strategies to assure enough rabbits and squirrels, etc are also healthy in numbers... All we seem to look at is deer, to the detriment of hunting as a sport....
I would love to have more small game in our woods.But they are gone.The same as the deer herds are diminishing.Deer hunting was the only wild life in Pa. that we could harvest and eat that was abundant.If I could walk thru a field and kick rabbits,grouse and pheasant out all year long,I would not complain one bit about the deer herds.But this is not happening.What in Pa.Did we have the best chance of seeing the most of and harvesting?Deer.Not small game but deer.Deer is the onlything keeping people interested in hunting cause of the lack of small game.When the deer is gone,Hunting in Pa. is goanna be over.The PGC does not have the funds or have abused the funds for their own reasons other than wildlife.The onlything I can think that the PGC can do to turn Pa. around in the right direction is this. They need to take one of their largest GL and turn it into a breeding for stocking of wild animals.I am talking about a huge breeding for stocking of small game. Rabbits grouse pheasant. I am talking about tens ofthousands of these animals to berealease all over Pa.It will cost money but in return they could increase the fees.In time it will pay for it's self.You have to spend money to make people happy to make money.When I first started hunting,I loved flushing birds and rabbits.You didn't need a dog to boot.You need to get land owners involved in this all so to make it successful .I believe this can be done if they put the effort into it and just do it.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:19 PM

QRM Quality Rabbit Management...weeeee my beagles would love that!
about the only thing the PGC can claim as partialsucess is elk thanks to the RMEF and turkey thanks to NWTF without those two great orgs funding it and supplying the biologists the PGC would have watched these two species disappear as well from Pa...crying the "we need more Administrative fees let's hike the license fee" song.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

livbucks, I guess I didn't mean it come off like that. I will never shoot an animal I didn't want. I'll take a doe for the same reasons most do, I like the venison. But, I'm a trophy hunter at heart and live for the challenge of hunting trophy bucks.

I think most people just plainly forget that its a recreational sport, not a grocery shopping trip.
Irealize now that you came off a little differently than you intended on that one. Words on the screen are literal and hard to read any inference from. You get my point though regarding the way I read your post.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: eagle chickie

QRM Quality Rabbit Management...weeeee my beagles would love that!
about the only thing the PGC can claim as partialsucess is elk thanks to the RMEF and turkey thanks to NWTF without those two great orgs funding it and supplying the biologists the PGC would have watched these two species disappear as well from Pa...crying the "we need more Administrative fees let's hike the license fee" song.
I would pay 50$ for a license that gave me buck,doe,Bear and small game tag if the small gameanimals was abundant.Many people would all so I believe without question if the small game was abundant.Out of staters would have to pay 350$ That wouldn't be a bad price if we had these abundant of small game included with deer. I would allow anyone to hunt coyotes for free without a tag all so.Just to eliminate them from Pa.Put them on the endangered species list.Rabbits included in small game and are fun to shoot all so.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 PM

More interesting information!

LP, you make some fascinating points. Many hunters in NYS also are lamenting the diminishing small game species as well. Grouse has been the major topic in our area, and the DEC a couple years back instituted a Grouse Hunter Observation program to collect and analyze feedback from participating grouse hunters. Yes, landowners need to get involved. I have some ideas, applicable to NYS, but we are working to make what we are crafting something that could be easily adapted to meet other State's laws and practices. Not so much fun.

eagle chickie - QRM That's classic! I love it..... However.... You nearly hit a home run, a la blind squirrel finding an acorn, with that statement....

I have a "belief" (more than that, as it is factual, but, I'll call it a belief) that only one true way to manage game exists, which will be successful. It isn't QDM, QRM, QGM, QTM, QPM, QEM, QMM, or whatever...... It is simple, but very, very difficult.... It's called QLM, or QHM, depending upon which way you wish to define it. I'll use QHM, as this is truly what it is.

Quality Habitat Management

No matter what species you wish to examine, no matter what State you live in, 100% of everything in nature starts literally from the ground up. Starts with geology, especially in regards to the water tables, and goes from there. Without quality habitat, you have a snowballs chance at any kind of quality game management.

And this is the biggest challenge to hunters. Not because it is hard work, possibly expensive work, and requires working cooperatively with land owners, getting them to open their lands to hunters, not just taking improvements. The challenge comes from the moonbat tree huggers and enviromentalist wackos who have been very successful in bamboozling the public and winning philosophies in government concerning the landscapes, forests, meadows, etc. That is, a policy of "let it go wild, no touchy, no feely".

Thoughts or questions?

Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

doctarAFC, I definitely know where you're coming from with the land management thing. My family has been in the timber industry for 60+ years. We own and operate a large company here in central PA. We know first hand what benifits wildlife see when we select cut forests. The problem is, as you stated, too many tree huggers out there screaming to save all of these old growth forest. Instead, these old trees rot away and smother everything underneath.

What we also see in areas we've cut is that the regeneration that comes up is typically not oak anymore. Its mostly maple. Its a cycle that we're seeing, nature's way if you will. DCNR seems to think the deer are eating the oaks and erect ridiculous fences to keep the deer out. These areas are then either left alone to regerate or in some cases planted with oak.

This is one reason why I'm a firm believer that DCNR and the PA Forestry Division has a huge role in what the PGC does.

In the case of our family hunting property, its been select cut on most of it. We simply cut an area, wait several years until the regrowth really takes hold, then move on to another area and do the same. We've been reaping the benifits as there is a tremendous amount of undergrowth. And, we've have entirely too many deer in most cases. And we don't have that "browse line" the PGC and its "biologist" claim all over the state.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:56 PM
jf5

ORIGINAL: doctariAFC

More interesting information!

Quality Habitat Management

No matter what species you wish to examine, no matter what State you live in, 100% of everything in nature starts literally from the ground up. Starts with geology, especially in regards to the water tables, and goes from there. Without quality habitat, you have a snowballs chance at any kind of quality game management.

The core to it all. Big game, small game, birds. All about habitat...

Well said
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

doctarAFC, I definitely know where you're coming from with the land management thing. My family has been in the timber industry for 60+ years. We own and operate a large company here in central PA. We know first hand what benifits wildlife see when we select cut forests. The problem is, as you stated, too many tree huggers out there screaming to save all of these old growth forest. Instead, these old trees rot away and smother everything underneath.

What we also see in areas we've cut is that the regeneration that comes up is typically not oak anymore. Its mostly maple. Its a cycle that we're seeing, nature's way if you will. DCNR seems to think the deer are eating the oaks and erect ridiculous fences to keep the deer out. These areas are then either left alone to regerate or in some cases planted with oak.

This is one reason why I'm a firm believer that DCNR and the PA Forestry Division has a huge role in what the PGC does.

In the case of our family hunting property, its been select cut on most of it. We simply cut an area, wait several years until the regrowth really takes hold, then move on to another area and do the same. We've been reaping the benifits as there is a tremendous amount of undergrowth. And, we've have entirely too many deer in most cases. And we don't have that "browse line" the PGC and its "biologist" claim all over the state.
You got it! At least most of it. Th tree huggers are a major, major problem.

Deer are browsers, and that "browse line" being seen in many, many areas of PA certainly exist, because a high canopy of the mature forests preclude the tender forbes deer prefer, to grow.

But we also have geological changes that we also must contend with, and this directly affects the water tables. I speak directly about development. A new strip mall, Wal-Mart, parking lot, sub-division, whatever, even 10 or 15 miles from your "traditional hunting grounds" has profound affects on the water tables - the ripple effect that no one talks about. This also affects what food sources will be able to grow in any given area affected by these changes.

Now, I am not saying, halt all development, halt it all now! Quite the contrary, I am supportive of RESPONSIBLE development. But, since our lands are more developed than ever, and in the NE we have all but eliminated nature's way of renewing the lands (forest fires), our task must become moreso Quality Habitat Management, or else the wildlife management plans will invariably fail.

You have seen this first-hand with selective cutting of your property. Let the light in and the food will grow. THen the critters will come and eat.

I would check into any potential change in the water tables in your area. I am not an arborist, but I believe maples require less water than oaks...
Old 12-14-2006, 03:15 PM

Lead/

I would pay 50$ for a license that gave me buck,doe,Bear and small game tag if the small gameanimals was abundant.Many people would all so I believe without question if the small game was abundant.Out of staters would have to pay 350$ That wouldn't be a bad price if we had these abundant of small game included with deer. I would allow anyone to hunt coyotes for free without a tag all so.Just to eliminate them from Pa.Put them on the endangered species list.Rabbits included in small game and are fun to shoot all so.
[/quote]

If you would only pay $50 for a lis. then why woud an out of state guy pay $350?
I am now an out of state hunter (I moved to NY 2 yrs ago). I already pay about $160 for a lis to hunt. and honestly I feel that is alot. I also spend my time and money doing my own habitat improvement and stocking of gamebirds on land that is open to public hunting. If the price went to $350. I simply would not do it. I'd hunt NY more and probably OH. I could go buy and stock 40 pheasants myself for $350. And I'm sure That if I paid $350 for a lis I may get to shoot 6-8 pheasants a year if the PGC did it.
I agree that having more small game would be great. But it would take more than simply raising hunting fees for out of state guys.
Habitat management is what would workbest for Rabbits Grouse and other small game.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Sport 2

Lead/

If you would only pay $50 for a lis. then why woud an out of state guy pay $350?
I am now an out of state hunter (I moved to NY 2 yrs ago). I already pay about $160 for a lis to hunt. and honestly I feel that is alot. I also spend my time and money doing my own habitat improvement and stocking of gamebirds on land that is open to public hunting. If the price went to $350. I simply would not do it. I'd hunt NY more and probably OH. I could go buy and stock 40 pheasants myself for $350. And I'm sure That if I paid $350 for a lis I may get to shoot 6-8 pheasants a year if the PGC did it.
I agree that having more small game would be great. But it would take more than simply raising hunting fees for out of state guys.
Habitat management is what would workbest for Rabbits Grouse and other small game.
[/quote]

See,My plan is working allready.No out of staters coming in to Pa. and hunting our animals.We don't like out of staters here in Pa.Sorry but that is the truth.To many bad apples come here and shoot and break all the laws and go back home where they are pretty much safe from commiting wildlife crimes in our state and being prosecutedfrom the law.This is just like a security deposit if you all get caught doing something wrong here.We won't come get you in your state,But we got your fine money upfront anyway.Yea it seams a bit steep it was just a number there sport2. For you 349$ Anyone else out of state 200 or 225$. Seriously, We are not goanna let you come here pay the same as resident just to hunt and not pay taxes on houses or state taxes.You goanna let me come hunt your state for the same fee just to hunt without supporting your states income other than just hunt there?Not a chance.Residents get discounts just for being a resident and supporting the economy all year round,Not just during hunting season.

Quick Reply: What I see in my crystal ball, concerning PA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.