Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Ohio Regs in NY? >

Ohio Regs in NY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Ohio Regs in NY?

Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM

Default RE: Ohio Regs in NY?

ORIGINAL: bowkill144

Well a little about myself,A few friends and myselfhave 3 propertys scattered around WNY they are 170, 135 and 300 acres we do try to manage these propertys to procuce better deer but with limited success. We do food plots shot does and pass the younger deer but we still rarely see any deer 3.5 yrs old or older and I must say the numbers of deer seen in general are less than they where 7 years ago. So to answer your question I would like to see a few more deer and some older bucks as well. Ihave found hunting in other states and canada much better than here so looking at a state like Ohio it seemed to me changes could help but from the responces I get here I dont think any major changes will ever happen in this state. I think I will sell my property and start hunting out of state a couple weeks a year and just give up on this state. I willfill my Ny tags with 1.5 yr old bucks and does to fill the freezer but there seems to be no effort to grow bigger deer here so i see no reason to try anymore. I still wish I did not have to take my son out of state to deer hunt but I guess that is another battle that will never be won. Also it is pretty sad that my father can not effectivly hunt with a bow anymore but does not qualify for a crossbow but I guess that is another thing that will never change either. What the hell I should just look for another job and move mywhole damn family out of this state. Sorry about the rant I just dont undersatnd people very well and it gets frustrating for me sometimes.
Gene
I certainly understand your frustration. Many have the same feelings of helplessness. I am with you 100% on the crossbow issue, and I support getting the crossbow legalized in NYS - I have a "compromise proposal" out there, but, if you've had any involvement in this issue, you know that both sides are pretty adament in their all or nothing stance. But, sit tight. I have some reliable information that this issue will be addressed in the coming months? Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Just a thought, as you certainly have some tangible concerns, do you belong to a Federation Club in your area, and are you involved, like attend meetings, vote on issues, attend public hearings, submit comments during the public comment period?

Old 12-13-2006, 03:27 PM
jf5

Well a little about myself,A few friends and myselfhave 3 propertys scattered around WNY they are 170, 135 and 300 acres we do try to manage these propertys to procuce better deer but with limited success. We do food plots shot does and pass the younger deer but we still rarely see any deer 3.5 yrs old or older and I must say the numbers of deer seen in general are less than they where 7 years ago. So to answer your question I would like to see a few more deer and some older bucks as well. Ihave found hunting in other states and canada much better than here so looking at a state like Ohio it seemed to me changes could help but from the responces I get here I dont think any major changes will ever happen in this state. I think I will sell my property and start hunting out of state a couple weeks a year and just give up on this state. I willfill my Ny tags with 1.5 yr old bucks and does to fill the freezer but there seems to be no effort to grow bigger deer here so i see no reason to try anymore. I still wish I did not have to take my son out of state to deer hunt but I guess that is another battle that will never be won. Also it is pretty sad that my father can not effectivly hunt with a bow anymore but does not qualify for a crossbow but I guess that is another thing that will never change either. What the hell I should just look for another job and move mywhole damn family out of this state. Sorry about the rant I just dont undersatnd people very well and it gets frustrating for me sometimes.
Gene
Sorry you are frustrated, but everyone has different goals when it comes to deer and hunting them.If you already hunt out of state, then do that for the big racks and hunt NY for "deer".

The part I don't understand is why you feel the need to take your son out of state or just move out of state all together. You have access to 600+ acres ofprivate lands in NY which is something many of us onlydream about. If you are passing bucks, you have some animals to work with and hunt over. I'd love to be in your position.Does your boy need to only shoot a trophy rack?? Whats wrong with him starting with a 1.5 YO fork?? All respect due, its sounds to me like you have it pretty good.

I know many people that hunt Ohio and many other states. Many have allot of the same complaints you post here. The biggest I hear is access to lands. Public lands are crowded, private lands locked up. When the deer are pushed out of your areadue to heavy pressure, all the QDMmgt in the world won't stop those bucks from going to private property.

Here in New England we have some big oldbucks, butANY antlered deer comes pretty hard.I hunt with another guy on public lands andwe average alegal buck every 4-5 years!You can head up to Northern NHorMaine to hunt 3.5-7.5 YO deer, butman its hard work, and gets frustrating when hunting these areas with 3-5 DPSM. Quality open lands are an issue too. I hunt MA and the gun laws add to the already frustrating deer situation. Our herd is purposly managed to be held BELOW carrying capacity!

I have also hunted nice states like Montana where qulaity bucks are more "common". Its still damn hard to get an older whitetail, and there is no QDM in the areas I hunted.

Grass is always greener. But in reality I think you got it good.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:52 PM

jf5
You areright I have it pretty good but it did take 30 years of hard work to get and I think not only could it be better it should be better in my opinion. As far as my son he is only 6 he can not huntsmall game until he is 12 and deer with a bow until 14 and deer with a firearm until he is 16 I will loose him to the fast past instant satisfaction world we live in before then. He shots a youth 270 withlow recoil roundswell enough to kill a deer at 150 yards and he will kill his first deer next year in NC.He also shots a 15 lb compound with a realse, pep sight and sight pin very well and i do not want to loose his interest. Like Uncle Ted says take a kid hunting and you will never be hunting for your kid. As far as a trophy deer for him I will encourage him to harvest all legal game until it becomes not fun and then he can decide what he wants to pass I will not make that decision for him.
Gene
Old 12-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

cma - MY question was a trick one - everyones idea of "primitve" is different at best. You say pre 1800 but allow miniballs - not in common use until after that date. Others may feel percussion should be allowed. First inlines actually showed up in the early 1800's. There is no answer to what is primitive.

2 seasons - gun and bow. I use an inline in gun when not using my bow, but continue to hunt as I do with my bow. With few exceptions, my shots are seldom ones I would not take with my bow. And I always have venison.

Steve
Old 12-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Spike

Location: NY county that holds both typical and notypical state fiream records

I wouldnt want to see it. I dont have a problem with crossbows, more the type of people who tend to use them. You dont need to put in the time or effort when using the x-bow that you do when you have to practice with traditional gear or a compound. From what I have seen gun hunters are less willing to put in the time and effort to bring home deer. I have a feeling if you make crossbows an opption you will attract people. Not that thats bad I just dont want to see the mentality of anchor and elevate in the bow season.

I suppose it might benefit NY at least for guys who chase big deer. I would also bet that the anchor and elevate guys wouldnt take the time to keep sent free and keep disturbance to a minimum.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2006, 07:11 PM

i think all they need to do is use antler restrictions, but that's another hotly debated topic. i think they need to do something cuz there really is not a lot of mature deer where i hunt. i do my part to pass up the small ones but i know my neighbors don't. however, on the bright side, more and more ppl are passing up smaller bucks so i think it is getting better gradually.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:11 AM

Well it looks like I have a buyer for the biggest chunk I own I will put him in my best stand this weekend and sign over a doe tag to him. He said he has a buck tag left from archery season and he asked me what he can shoot I said I hope you will own it next year so shoot what ever you want because thats what all the nieghbors do. I dont think he carses what he shoots I think the barn and little cabin on the property is what he likes the most about the place. He isadoctor I go to andhe has the money to buy it so it looks like this will happen. I talked with my finance guy and with this invested right I dont think I will ever buy another ny license again I will start booking hunts for me and my son as soon as this deal is done. Good luck guys I think i am done with NY hunting.
Gene
Old 12-14-2006, 08:51 AM
jf5

jf5
You areright I have it pretty good but it did take 30 years of hard work to get and I think not only could it be better it should be better in my opinion. As far as my son he is only 6 he can not huntsmall game until he is 12 and deer with a bow until 14 and deer with a firearm until he is 16 I will loose him to the fast past instant satisfaction world we live in before then. He shots a youth 270 withlow recoil roundswell enough to kill a deer at 150 yards and he will kill his first deer next year in NC.He also shots a 15 lb compound with a realse, pep sight and sight pin very well and i do not want to loose his interest. Like Uncle Ted says take a kid hunting and you will never be hunting for your kid. As far as a trophy deer for him I will encourage him to harvest all legal game until it becomes not fun and then he can decide what he wants to pass I will not make that decision for him.
Gene
Sounds like your a great dad Gene. Best of luck with the land sale. Enjoy what you have ... and good luck finding your big deer. :-)
Old 12-14-2006, 11:55 AM

jf5
Thanks i try my best he is a good kid a little spoiled but very respectful. The moreI thought about it and the money to keep the place up and the taxes I thought why not try this. I still will have some land avaliable to hunt here but I am just tired of shooting small deer so it is time for a change. Belive it or not this post was looking for responces from people that are in favor of major change and I found none so I figured I am the minority which is ok, it helped me make this decision.I plan to not hunt much once my son starts hunting on a regualar basis ( more self sufficient ) so that i can film his hunts I think that would be fun! He loves fishing alot to and up hear near lake ontario (trout and salmon) and lake erie (walleye, bass and musky) we have world class fishing. I have been wanting a new and bigger boat and this land sale will make that possible. The great thing about these lakes is no posted signs no taxes no leases and lots and lots of room to roam. So I guess all in all this will be a great thing. Buy the way for everbody reading this I was not shooting down what you like to shoot or how you hunt I was just really wondering how many people are looking for major change in NY so if i offended anybody I am truly sorry.
Happy Hunting
Gene

Quick Reply: Ohio Regs in NY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.