Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Deer Hunting in Pa questions? >

Deer Hunting in Pa questions?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer Hunting in Pa questions?

Old 12-10-2006, 08:53 PM

Default Deer Hunting in Pa questions?

My brother lives in Pa and wants me too come out hunting in 2007. What can i exspect? I have hunted there before but its been many manny moons. I dont even know what the current laws are. I will def. read up on them before I get there but figured I might get some faster answers here.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 AM

Default RE: Deer Hunting in Pa questions?

Hmm, tons of pa guys here and no responses. Is it u guys dont want out of town people coming in and shooting your deer? Ive read in some of your posts that u guys are upset with the way the herd is being handled and that the deer are being thinned out. So obviously if there isnt enough deer for residents, you wouldnt want someone like me coming in. Well, I understand a little, but i was born and raised in pa and lived there for 21 yrs and it is my home of sorts. I do feel your pain.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:29 AM

it depends where in the state your hunting, antler restrictions are different in different parts of the state. deer hunting for me was pretty good. i shot a nice 6 point opening day and i saved my doe tag for the late muzzleloader season. a lot of guys are saying they didn't see many deer, but i know saw a lot. it all depends on which part of the state, and if your hunting private or public
Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your question is tough to answer. Kind of like asking what kind of driving experience could you expect on PA roads. The conditions vary widely across the state. You will see less deer as a rule. The bucks you do see will tend to be somewhat larger racked than in the past. My family has takenour best bucks ever in our lives in the last few years. They are there. A hint of your intended hunting area would help.
What can I say except get out there and make your own luck.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:36 AM

def the part of the state means a lot on the herd. are you hunting game lands or private ground? I can tell you that the best areas in the state to hunt are around philly and pittsburgh. It is very hard to get permission to hunt in these places though. I have hunted all over the state and have seen the herds decrease, stay the same and even increase......if you provide a little more info, we can fill you in on everything....
Old 12-11-2006, 07:16 AM

well, good pts boys. I will be hunting both private and public land around the Philly area. I think I hunted worlds end last time i was there and ricketts glen. I always went second week when all the hunters cleared out. Never had a problem getting one there.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

In general, that part of the state still seems to have plenty of deer. A lot of the complaints about lack of deer are coming from the traditional northern deer counties. Most areas around the big cities still have a high deer population.

Other than that, the most important thing you need to know ist that you need to buy your license in July if you wish to get doe tags. They now go on sale in early August and the old county system is now gone. We now have Wildlife Management Units and you need to get familiar with them and some of the new regulations and season.

Most of the info you'll need is on the PGC website:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/
Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 AM

thank u btbowhunter
Old 12-12-2006, 09:30 AM

You can expect to not see any deer and have about 4 or 5 guys walk past your stand per day. Even if your in 3/4 of a mile.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best person to ask would be your brother since he's the one taking you to hunting spots. 5 PA guys can hunt the same property and you'll hear 5 different takes on the deer herd there. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting in Pa questions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.