Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Changing Deer Season Months >

Changing Deer Season Months

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Changing Deer Season Months

Old 12-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Host of Hosts

Default Changing Deer Season Months

In another post some of us got into a discussion over the Pa doe kill. I know it has been beaten to death, but I had to address this one statement.

How about this,One doe tag,No Bonuses and change doe season to october for 3 days only? This way the does that we do see during the two week rifle season actually do get bread and not shot if they are preg.
One doe tag would be OK with me...BUT I think DMAP tags are still needed in some agricultural areas. Besides it also helps to open up some farms that normaly would be posted. I have a concern about moving the Doe season to October because the button buck fawns will not be dispersed by the mother if she is harvested too early and would lead to inbreeding. The mature does need time to chase off the young bucks first. I could agree to going back to a separate doe season but make it in December as it was and make it 3 to 5 days instaed of 2 weeks. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Changing Deer Season Months

Maps are definately necessary, some areas more than others need doe reductions, others need to be closed for doe but hunters as whole would whine, whine, whine. AR's are still important or the orange army would pull the trigger on the first deer they see, brown it's down would be in full force. An early Oct season would be okay but I hate adding anything more to the archery season intrusion on archery season. Inbreeding wouldn't happen, nature usually regulates that.

What I feel would stop button buck slaughters is forcing hunters to use their buck tag if they shoot a button buck. Treat the gender as it is, a buck or a doe, you get one tag for each, period.

I cannot fathom mistakingly killing a button buck as a doe, it's just too easy to tell them apart and if you intentionally shoot a button, tag with your buck tag and be happy about it. ....

I could live with that rule, how about you?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

from what i am hearing, most got their doe and fawns in early muzzleloader season..this should be stopped..i saw many small deer shot this year in oct..its all about meat..

doe permits need to be stopped in wmu 2g..

go back to 2 week of buck with AR..

3 day of doe after that..

Old 12-07-2006, 06:09 PM

What I feel would stop button buck slaughters is forcing hunters to use their buck tag if they shoot a button buck. Treat the gender as it is, a buck or a doe, you get one tag for each, period.
What I feel would stop the doe slaughter is forcing hunters to use there buck tag on a BB. How many doe do you think would be harvested the first day of the concurrent season under those conditions?Saving BB and shooting adult doe only delays the decrease in the buck harvest by 1 year. HR is responsible for the decrease in 1.5 buck and shooting BB is always going to be a part of HR.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:07 AM

I think PGC should greatly reduce the number of doe tags sold. If there are "problem" areas with high densities of doe, I think they should be handled as "green tag" areas, where within certain boundries you can apply for a extra doe tag, or possibly use your buck tag on a doe (areas would need to be clearly marked).
I also think they need to reduce the season length. I think they should have doe season run monday or wednesdayto saturday of the last week of buck season.
As I see it there are two main options for the PGC. Either leave things as they are and watch the numbers of liscense sales decrease year after year, and along with it much of thier funding. Or they could cut back on the doe harvest for afewyears (and listen to all the "Hunters" whine, whine, *itch and complain). Or they could impose some major changes, such as virtually stop doe season for a couple years, or change the liscense to come with a buck tag, that changes to a deer (buck or doe) tag for the last 3 days of the regularseason and late achery and muzzeloader. But again this would make many people scream, cry, and throw a real tantrum.
There is no fix that will make everyone happy. But going at the current rate and direction in just a few years no-one will be happy, with virtually no deer to hunt, and virtually no liscense salesfor funding. I personally will have a hard time justifying $160.00 on a hunting liscense to see no deer. I already hunt NY, and I think if PA does not change what it is doing I'll go to Ohio instead.
Hunting is a great heritage that we as a group need to pass on. But it will be very difficult to keep a kid interested if whe take one hunting you don't see any game. But thats just my thoguhts..
Old 12-08-2006, 08:12 AM

ive said this a couple times before... why not make doe season the last week of deer season.. there will still be alot killed, but wayy less than if it was instituted during the first week of deer season. that is when the majority of them are shot.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:46 AM

I def agree on that BB should be tagged with buck tags. This would force people to take a good hard look at a deer before shooting it. People will learn quickly that if they have to use their buck tag. I don't know how, but down here in VA, we are allowed to take 3 buck and 3 doe on one license or 6 doe!!??? There are no AR restrictions down here and there are plenty of deer.....I guess not as many people hunt??? This year for rifle season, I gave up hunting up north because of lack of deer/quality deer. My dad sat in my stand and had a barely legal 6 come by in the morning and he passed. In the evening, he had a nice 8 point with a 20.5 inch spread come by and he dropped it. He said it was with 2 does. Still, 4 deer for a days worth of sitting isn't worth it to me....
Old 12-08-2006, 02:30 PM

It is the hunters in Pa. My friend did drives all day the first friday in washington co. he found 7 dead bucks that did not have the required 4 pts. on one side and we want these people to look for buttons.How do you change people that are that blood hungry,I just don't know.The hunters around here will kill the last doe in the woods to say they got one ,then complain about the lack of deer.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Sproulman, no does in 2G at least for a couple of years...
Old 12-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

It is the hunters in Pa. My friend did drives all day the first friday in washington co. he found 7 dead bucks that did not have the required 4 pts. on one side and we want these people to look for buttons.How do you change people that are that blood hungry,I just don't know.The hunters around here will kill the last doe in the woods to say they got one ,then complain about the lack of deer.
only diffference from what i see here in clinton county is, most will take that 4 point home,never leave it in woods..i agree on blood hunters, i am seeing disgusting people in woods now..read my post on a example..

Quick Reply: Changing Deer Season Months

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.