Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New Yorkers...need your input! >

New Yorkers...need your input!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Yorkers...need your input!

Old 12-06-2006, 06:19 AM

Default RE: New Yorkers...need your input!

ORIGINAL: shedhead

All of you that are saying it is ok to shoot any dog without a collar are totally wrong. The law has changed and only a conservation officer can shoot a dog harassing deer. I know it is frustrating but sending a dog home with your arrow or bullet holein it will hurt all of us. Use your heads and try to talk to the owners.You think it is frustrating having this done in your backyard, try going to Illinois and pay good money for the trip and have the same thing happen to you. That is frustrating
I wouldn't say it's OK, but if I know the dogs owner I would confront them. I would also film/take pictures of the dog on my property and provide them with the local Dog Control department to see what they could do as long as it's not roaming my land during hunting season. Question seems to be, if I know the dogs owner, discuss it with him the first time, shows film/pics next time with a report to the local dog warden, if you will, third time, maybe even have afine issued to the owner if there such a thing, but by the fourth/fifth time, seems to me the owner isn't too concern about it and probablly wouldn't even notice the dog missing. In my case, no collar and have no idea who the owner is. This was only the first time I ever seen it happened, but if it was an continual thing and the dog warden can only tell me to either catch the dog (risk of being bitten by some dogs I'm sure or maybe they'll come right to me friendly) and turnit over to them, I'll try. But if the dog is aggressive to meor doesn't come to me then what?? I'm trying to enjoy my hunt of deer, not tracking stray dogs. Tough call, but bottom line the owner of the dog is responsible for there dog actions and whereabouts.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 AM

2 weeks before the season I actually saw my neighbors spanial chasing a doe. I've seen the dog in the woods twice during teh season since....

That said I've shot dogs when they were in mychickens several times and it is my understanding that it is legal to shoot a dog if you "suspect it is rabid" but you need to ask yourself if it is worth getting charged with to fight for a not guilty verdict.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

shoot the owner not the dog.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:20 PM

Shoot, Shovel & Shutup!