HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   next years doe permits (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/168281-next-years-doe-permits.html)

buckhunter516 12-03-2006 07:06 PM

next years doe permits

with everyone seeing nothing including me.deer numbers should go up,i have only seen about 3 doe on the back of cars.local butcher inly had abou 150deer.but im sure dec will tell us it was another record year.

maugus63 12-04-2006 05:43 PM

RE: next years doe permits

They most likely will issue more permits for the areas that dont have the deer numbers they used to - like 6R.

The numbers surely arent down due to winter kill!

MIKE

doughboysigep 12-04-2006 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: buckhunter516

im sure dec will tell us it was another record year.
when have they told us it's been a record year - maybe back in 1992

GR8RALLY 12-06-2006 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

ORIGINAL: buckhunter516

im sure dec will tell us it was another record year.
when have they told us it's been a record year - maybe back in 1992

I think it was 2002 that was a record year, from there on, it's been slowly declining.

chr103yod 12-06-2006 08:12 AM

There is no way we have been killing the same amount of deer the last few yrs. Their number are doctored. They estimate the kill by adding something like 40% to the number of reported kills. Everyone I talk to hasn't hardly seen any deer. I can't understand why they don't make us send in report cards whether we kill something or not. They could do it the same way they do DMAP tags. Make it available on the internet or mail in and if you don't send it in after a couple warnings you get fined and can't get a hunting license the following year. The way they do it now they just assume we keep killing about the same amout af deer each year plus or minus a couple thousand deer.

AJ52 12-06-2006 11:58 AM

Wow - that's a little distrurbing to think F&G in any state would simply add 40% to actual numbers.Why 40% and Why would they doctor the numbers for public view??

chr103yod 12-07-2006 07:34 AM

AJ52 I'm not sure the exact percentage but it's pretty high. I read it on the PGC web site that they have some kind of formula based on deer found at butcher shops andmaybe some kind of hunter survey and came to a number they add to the deer kill each year to make up for people who don't send in their report cards. It's supposed to be the most accurate way they have to estimate the deer kill each year. That is why I don't understand why it isn't mandatory to send in your cards. I'm sure hunters and the PGC would love to see the real data so they can make more educated decisions about managing the herd.

Crazy Horse RVN 12-07-2006 10:55 AM

"chr103yod" It is manditory to fill out and return report cards to the Penn. Game Commission. They simply do not enforce the regulation.

Their formula for calculating the deer kill is nothing short of a "Magical, Mystical Formula" that a Walt Disney Sorcerer might use in a Mickey Mouse cartoon. Just ask anyone from the front office to explain it to you. Everyone I ever asked for an explaniation had a different rendition. Go figure??????

sproulman 12-07-2006 06:36 PM

doe permits should be stopped in wmu 2g..

everyone that i talked too got their doe or fawn in early muzzleloader season..yes, thats right, their FAWN..

for us sportsmen that want future for deer, i would like to see permits stopped..

if we had hunters like years ago we would not be heading to where hunting is bad..hunter that shoots a FAWN is disgusting to me..

BTBowhunter 12-07-2006 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Crazy Horse RVN

"chr103yod" It is manditory to fill out and return report cards to the Penn. Game Commission. They simply do not enforce the regulation.

Their formula for calculating the deer kill is nothing short of a "Magical, Mystical Formula" that a Walt Disney Sorcerer might use in a Mickey Mouse cartoon. Just ask anyone from the front office to explain it to you. Everyone I ever asked for an explaniation had a different rendition. Go figure??????
The"magical mystery formula" is relatively simple. WCo's survey deer at processors and ciompare the reported deer with the unreported deer and calculate a reporting rate. They the apply the reporting rate to the actual reports and come up with an estimate. It's not a perfect system but statistically it winds up being fairly accurate.

We'd all like to see 100% reporting or, better yet, mandatory check stations but itisnt feasible. As a matter of fact,some states that had check stations are getting away from them due to the cost.Additional costs are not something we need in Pa right now thanks to our Democrats and the USP who are currentlyconspiring to keep the PGC from a much needed license increase.