Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Is there any deer left in NY >

Is there any deer left in NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Is there any deer left in NY

Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Is there any deer left in NY

They are all in Steuben County. We have seen deer every time we have been out. Somedays more than others, but plenty of deer and not just does!!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:49 PM

lucky
Old 12-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Another quiet weekend here in 6R. I went Saturday and Sunday and I managed to see 4 deer Saturday while stillhunting in the windstorm. I bumped 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. Couldnt really tell if they were buck or doe. All i know was that one of the ones I saw in the evening was small.

Sunday came, the winds died, temperatures dropped, anticipation was high!......and NOTHING! Hunted all day Sunday and didnt see a deer. I have a DMP and dont even want to fill it if I get a chance since im afraid there wont be anything left for next season!

One weekend left then late season ML season. This year is the most likely the hardest I have ever hunted and have seen the least deer. In fact, I saw only two deer all archery season. And one of those I missed! a decent 6 pt.

So everyone, my advise is: Make that next opportunity count. You might not get another one this year!! It is a long 10 months until next season!!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE !!
MIKE
Old 12-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

no deer, blah, blah
DEC doen't know anything blah, blah
DEC has screwed evreything up blah blah

I get sick of all the whining and complaining. Get this straight - there are deer out there and plenty of them. Maybe not as many in point A as in point B or less in area C as area D, but they are all over the place (I am talking, in general, about the non Adirondack and Catskill regions). I haven't seen a ton of deer, but I know they are there (just wait for some snow). The weather hasn't help things much. I know a lot of guys who have had good luck, others that haven't and many inbetween - just like every year.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:13 PM

Well since I hunt primarily in the Adirondacks (5G), my .02 will pertain to this area. Typically, I hunt between 30-40 days during the Northern Zone hunting season(Early Black Powder, Regular and Late Black Powder Season's).Spending that many days in the fieldand hunting hard, I would routinely see upwards of 70 deer during the season. Granted, some of those sightingswould have been of the same deer, but on different days. Never the less, I was seeing deergenerally on a daily basis.

The last 3-4 years I have seen a dramatic drop off in the number of deer I have seen during the season. During this time period, Ihaveaveraged approximately 15 deer sightings a year and have gone stretches at a time including a two week stint where I didn't even see a flag.

I also hunt 4C in the Sourthern zone on Opening day and this year we(5 hunters) came back empty handed, though we did pass on a couple small doe. I've hunted this area for almost 10 years and it was not uncommon to hear upwards of 100 gun shots. The last couple of years it has been tremendously quieter in this area.

Are my numbers based on scientific research? No. Just myown personal experience, but itdoesn't take a rocket scientist or statatician to see the troubling trend. So the answer to the question, "Is there any deer left in NY?" Of course there are, just not as many. At least in my neck of the woods. Just my .02.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Well put!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

the deer population has been steadily decreasing for half a decade in the Eastern US. the numbers bear this out...you can talk to hunters anywhere in the East, and they'll have the same reply: fewer deer. this is what the respective DNRs want, this is also what insurance companies want. I also believe it's a natural event due to increased human population in the East.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:48 AM

We do have a lower deer population than we have had in the past, thats a fact. But, remember we have had unseasonably warm weather all through our hunting season this year and deer do not move much when it's warm. On the other hand, if your population is turely low, you better think twice about pulling the trigger on that doe.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

On the other hand, if your population is turely low, you better think twice about pulling the trigger on that doe.
Best point so far IMO.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 AM

well..heres a question if hunter participation is at an all time low... and so is the deer population...then where are they going?....Coyotes?..i doubt it..... i think the pop. isn't hurting that bad. there are def. not as many hunters moving them around..................hey i've heard that a mountain lion can do a number on a deer herd!!!!! hahaha...

Quick Reply: Is there any deer left in NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.