Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Swamp Hunting

Old 12-19-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Swamp Hunting

Anybody ever have any luck hunting in a swamp? I was thinking of setting up a stand in the swamp behind my house for second archery season. There are a lot of trails going in and out and I figure if I set up in a big tree in the middle I might get a shot. If not I'll at least be able to see where they are moving.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Swamp Hunting

Swamps can be great places to bag a monster simply because most hunters wont venture far into them. Sounds like you've go the right idea.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:11 PM

I love hunting in swamps. Hardly ever see anyone else and loaded with deer. The land I hunt is a big swamp. Lots of deer and only me and my dad to hunt them. That's where I got my buck this year and all but 1 of my deer in 19 yrs of hunting. Best spot in the swamp is the humps in the middle with all the pines on them. Deer love it, they all run right for it when the shooting begins. Saw 20 deer there on the last day of rifle before noon. I can go in there any time of the day and find deer bedded down.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Swamps? You won't be sorry!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Yesyou will be if you don't wear hip waters and the right gear to hunt in them. It's not fun sinking knee deep to waisteafter the ice breaks that didn't look like it would of been that deep.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:59 PM

I have off Friday so I'm going to get my stand set up. Archery season opens up again on the 26th so hopefully I'll see something. I planned on wearing chest waders so I'm not worried about staying dry. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lead poisoner

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Yesyou will be if you don't wear hip waters and the right gear to hunt in them. It's not fun sinking knee deep to waisteafter the ice breaks that didn't look like it would of been that deep.
That sounds like apiece of cake!Down here we have to deal with Gators, Water Moccosins, Skeeters and the Heat!The main thing is 16" Snake Boots!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted marshes for 20+ yrs.
Hunt marsh/swamp about 50% of time on our lease farm.Took my 05 buck in the marsh and 06 buck on edge of marsh.

Great potential.Some real Big Boys can lurk deep in them swamps.
Scout the area before you go hang a stand any old where.
Don't hang a stand anywhere near a breeding area in swamp.

You gotta be very careful - sink holes,ditches,muck.
Step in the wrong place and your up to your waste - not good and will scare the crap outa you! Been there on 2-3 occasions.
Thought I was gonna meet my maker!!

Deer will lay/hide in marsh when pushed.They will go deep in areas you would never dream they could even walk.The older the deer the more often they might hide in these areas.

Be careful not to ruin the Hot Spot you think you have.

Good Luck