Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Do you want ticks with that PA buck? >

Do you want ticks with that PA buck?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Do you want ticks with that PA buck?

Old 12-01-2006, 08:02 AM

Default RE: Do you want ticks with that PA buck?

I'm hunting in Adams county and pulled 2 deer ticks off of me on Monday.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Hey I'm in Virginia and killed a big one on 18 NOV. I have never seen as many ticks on a deer. Funny though the smallones I've killed this year don't have any

Brad
Old 12-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunted 2F - Every deer we killed were infested with both ticks and Deer Keds (deer flies) - which look like ticks. Google the images to see the difference...

I killed a pretty nice coyote, and he was covered in both as well, but not to the same extent as the bucks.

In two days in the ANF, I picked no less than 5 ticks and 75 keds off my face/hair/neck/clothes. The Keds aren't Lyme carriers, so they're just creepy-crawly, but the abundance of deer ticks is scary. You couldn't walk 100 yards down a grassy gasline without picking up 5 hitch-hikers.

Will somebody please provide a link to a good, scent-free, tick killing/repelling product? I've had wayyy too many ticks in the past ten years, and I'm probably pushing my luck with Lyme disease. I think it's time to start taking precautionary measures.

What's the deal with these Keds? Were they so abundant due to the heat? Daytime temps were easily in the 60's, and the mosquitoes were even out. I've seen a few of them before, but never like that. The deer (and the hunters) were crawling with them.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are the keds the bugs that fly to you and then drop their wings once they get on you? Do they bite like a tick?
That is the one thing I like about freezing temps for deer hunting up there. No bugs to pester you.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot a bunch of does this year and didn't really notice any ticks. Shot my buck and WOW, then things were everywhere, I pulled 5 off me driving home, and a few more thru out the night until I was able to shower. That's an icky feeling. I think some were those keds, they look like ticks with wings?
BUddy of mine runs a lab for ducks and stuff and he said this year has been ridiculous for ticks.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 AM

This is the worse year I have ever seen for ticks, all of the deer I killed had a lot of them. I also found them crawling on my clothes after just walkig through the woods. I think the warm temps have kept them around longer.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was a warm wet spring, followed by a warm fall so the ticks are still around. I pulled a deer tick off my neck while sitting in the woods, Lyme disease scares me!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:23 AM
jf5

The tics are getting worse all over the Norhteast. In MA, we never used to have them in the western part of the state. Now its more every year. I think the real warm weather during the season also has them more active than a usual deer season. I had two on me this week, one attached. Lyme sucks, don;t get it!! I have had it, but my girl really got it bad and spent days in the hospital!!

IsPermethrine really scentless to deer??
Old 12-01-2006, 12:25 PM

i have worked in 17 states, mostly in the east, in the past 15 years.Worst ticks I ever seen were on the NC Outer Banks. In 1995a MAnative told me to take an odorless garlic capsul daily and ticks would not bother me. Did that.Itreally worked for me. Found one tick dug in after i had quit taking garlic for a few months. Now i take a capsule every day-again no ticks.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer Keds - follow this link to the Penn State Entymological report

http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/deer_keds.htm

Quick Reply: Do you want ticks with that PA buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.