Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Dealing with trespassers in New York >

Dealing with trespassers in New York

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Dealing with trespassers in New York

Old 11-23-2006, 04:44 AM

Default RE: Dealing with trespassers in New York

If a carf/truck is on the property check with your lawyer and ask him if he would write a letter . Leave his card on the windshield of the vehicle with the words CALL ME on it. Take down the license plate # and ask the police or game warden to run it for you.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

there is only 1` way to stop tresspassing, you have to put wire fence around property..this ius what is being done here in my area and landowners say its working..

they put up about 4 strands about 8 ft high total..i caugt guy on my land trying to kill a doe.. i hate doe killers..

i said, didnt you see the signs,he said, george bush allowed me to hunt here, i said, george bush died 20 years ago and sold land to me..

he said, oh thats sad, poor george.. i said ,get your lying a off my land..they are bold as hell, some run when caught..others they shoot a deer on my land from stateland line then run into my land, grab deer and run with it..
Old 11-24-2006, 03:35 AM

For tresspassing At least where I hunt the LEO would be the sheriff not the state police. DEC may on rare ocasion do something about poachers but I am not sure that tresspassing is thier bag and there way to over streched as it is. So if I was going to cort a LEO it would be the sheriff.

I have thought about asking a lawyer about how far off the road it becomes my property and if some one parks on my land I could have them towed or maybe I could get a Wheel boot and boot there vehical. Leave a note on the booted vehical that the vehical can be unlocked byappearingat my office 80 miles away on the next business day.. that should get the point across.

I did find that this year it was bad in NYS this year as the warm wearther brought out lots of goodweather hunters

NoKnees
Old 11-24-2006, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

anyone not living on/near the property, can only hope that the poaching is kept to a minimum. it's a fact of hunting when you hunt far from home. it happens everywhere. make more frequent trips to your ground,if feasibleor listewn to the advice about bribing some cops..'cuz that's all you're really doin', but may be your best option.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

heres my story

this location is a nursery which is on the side of a main rd on the outside of my town. the two black dots in the back represent two stands my uncle was in the right one .. the other one sucks because they come from every which way and its tough to not be seen

the 3rd dot is where i have been sitting lately but decided not to go there yesterday morning the reason is the deer come from the woods and hang around the pines/that feild and they cannot be shot from the right stand.

my uncle earlier had seen a buck go into the pines .. area later he heres a shot from by the rd no one else was hunting.. but he figured it was his father inlaw who owns the land (sometimes he sitsin his truck..hes eldery)
later he calls him and he saidhe never ended up going hunting

my uncle gets down.... to find the gut pile next to his truck .. nice huh but i was thinking i would have had a bullet shot in my direction if i went to were i usually sit
we are pretty sure it was the guy who lives right acroosss the street as you can see he would just have to stand in his front yard behind the bushes/trees

any way [:@]i didnt even feel like hunting this morning
Old 11-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

I was talking with one of the local highway dept. workers the other day and he told me the state,county,and/or local highway dept own from the center line of the road back 20 ft.Which would in most cases would be to the guardrails.So if he is parked off the shoulder you can nail him.
When my family was still farming.We left the electric fence on high,even though the cows were in another field or barn.Of course we ran 4 course of wires which would be about 4' high with an electric line on top and one sticking back a foot from the fence about 2 foot high.Made it a little hard to get over the fence to retieve a down deer.You know we had people try to cross them.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Question for all of the people who have their land posted. If an honest, concientious hunter requested permission to hunt on your land would you grant it?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Spike

i have land which i do not post. I have some local neighbors as well as people that live downstate like meand I let them know I'm always up for the first week of gun season and i'll have 3 or 4 friends with me. I've asked they not hunt the property when i'm there. when i'm not there it doesn't bother me if they or any locals want to hunt it. i've never had a problem and have a great relationship with my nieghbors. (except one guy that's quite paranoid andposts his property with enough signs to make you think you're on 42nd st in nyc). I respect his silly signs but I know the local guys just laugh at them. Unless you post 24 hour security you're probably not gonna stop guys from wandering onto your property.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Depends.If the season has already started andyou drive by the place then come back 10 minutes later to ask cause you seen a deer up the road,Then answer would be NO.But if happen to stop by during the summer or the early fall and asked nicely and willing to work with you on different projects you might have going on or if somebody else will be hunting the property.Willing to hunt another day in case of the later.Then my answer would be Yes.Most property owners feel the same way I think.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tatonka

Question for all of the people who have their land posted. If an honest, concientious hunter requested permission to hunt on your land would you grant it?
No.

Steve

Quick Reply: Dealing with trespassers in New York

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.