Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Dealing with trespassers in New York >

Dealing with trespassers in New York

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Dealing with trespassers in New York

Old 11-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Spike

Default Dealing with trespassers in New York

To add frustration to a bust of an opening weekend. My buddies and I learned from a neighbor that prior to our arrival upstate (and prior to the opening on gun season in New York's southern zone) a local "hunter" and no less that 14 of his boys were driving our hunting property real hard.
The property is clearly posted and gated. The neighbor estimates roughly 8 bucks were taken. I saw a few gut piles to confirm his report. He also added that this "hunter" (aka poacher) is known for shooting anything that moves and hunts with the "If it's brown, it's down" ethic.
I immediately called the DEC. They were very polite and understanding on the telephone. They also said that there was little they could do if they do not catch him in the woods.
I would love to hear from anyone else who has dealt with or is dealing with a similar situation. I am now on the war path to get this criminal caught. It will be a little bit of a challenge seeing as how I do not live in the area, but I am determined to press charges against him. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dealing with trespassers in New York

The DEC recently arrested 5 in Wayne Co. for deerjacking using airplanes/helicopters... at least that's what the D&C said this weekend. So, maybe you can convince them to catch the crookswhen they do it again.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Trail Camera's may be an option. Ifyou rig them high in a tree in a unique way, they would probably work to collect evidence.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Airborne. If your not around it much, trail cameras are the way to go. I'm in the same boat you on property. We had alot of trespassers the first couple yrs owning it. We had to keep on them, we started taking back tags, names not knowing whom they were. We called the law a couple times. Then we put trail cameras up, and got a couple that way.
I'd also recommend not letting them know you are there. For example close up your gates once there, hide yourvehicle.
You can also go to your closest NY State Police barracks, and ask to fill out a patrol area form. Explain your problem, and once you fill out the form NYSP has a reason to specifically patrol your area. Also ask for their personal State Police Patrolled trepassing signs to post up. They are usually real good about this. It gives them a reason to patrol new spots!
Eventually the word will get around your serious, and they should back off. Least if they have any brains. If they don't you'll catch them sometime, and prosecute. Good Luck.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you could grant hunting priviledges to a local cop? That might get the job done.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:46 AM

If you go with the cameras, make sure they are protected well from being stolen
Old 11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's become so ridiculous during gun season that I gave up fighting it. I dont' have the time or energy anymore to battle these morons. I've been begging and pleading with the DEC for 5 years to get after a known poacher in my area. Told them I would give up my hunting season to do whatever I could. It all fell on deaf ears. I've never seen an officer anywhere near my area.

Trespassers? Seems like every other hunt I see orange someplace there shouldn't be orange. Had a guy walk 2 yards under my stand at 7:30am opening morning last year. He didnt' know who owned the 5 pieces of land around him.

I hate to give in, but it seems like a hopeless battle. I find myself not hunting too much for the first week and a half or so. Wait untill all the yahoos get bored of hunting and give up. I get back at it pretty hard for the last part of gun season when most everyone is out of the woods.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Spike

I understand your frustration, but I want to nip this in the bud as soon as possible. My complaint to the DEC was handled very much like yours with the officer explaining that there are really just a handful of agents in the field to respond to such complaints. He suggested calling the state police if a DEC officer was unavailable or calling the "poaching" hotline 1-800-TIPP DEC (1-800-847-7332).
I do believe that there is no way to completely stop trespassing. Even the best neighbor is not going to patrol every acre of your property in your absence.
It is the "problem" trespassers, those with no regard for the law, your property, or the ethics of a safe, legal hunting season, that need to be stopped. I can't stand by to let the total abuse of my land take place.
I know that threats and warnings mean nothing. Action needs to be taken to let these criminals know I'm serious. I will prosecute.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Bring some food, coffee, donuts, etc.. to the nearest state police barracks and strike up a conversation with them. When I owned land, I had a problem with dumping, and got to know the police in the area, brought them some NYPD gear, and the dumping stopped. They started checking the area a lot. Never caught anyone, but whoever was doing it got the point.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Mostly a lost cause for those that own land but live far away. When you are not around all the time these idiots treat your place like their own hunting preserve. It almost takes hanging around during the season to hammer these guys down. You always hear "I have been hunting hear for 20 years-blah, blah, blah" Tough Sh!t now as you arent paying the taxes.

Quick Reply: Dealing with trespassers in New York

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.