Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Bear

Old 11-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA Bear

Sproulman, I totally agree with you. My father just told me about the days when it was illegal to shoot cubs. Seemed most hunters had more sense and showed a little more sportsmanship in the woods. Now, its a free for all out there. And I'm not just talking about bear, its everything, deer especially. I realize the bear population shows no signs of decline even with being allowed to shoot the cubs. But c'mon, you got to be a real low life individual to knowingly shoot a cub.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest, I even have a problem with someone shooting a sow that has cubs with it. I know that fawn deer will be ok without mom but I think a small cub would have a hard time making it with out its mom.

I believe they stay with their mom for about 2 years.

I think if baiting were made legal and sows with cubs off limits that would be a whole lot better than the way the PGC does it now.

People think that by allowing baiting hunters would kill too many, but if cubs and sows with cubs were off limits then they wouldn't put such a hurting on the population. Similar to how point restrictions on deer are helping increase the number of bucks.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

To be honest, I even have a problem with someone shooting a sow that has cubs with it. I know that fawn deer will be ok without mom but I think a small cub would have a hard time making it with out its mom.

I believe they stay with their mom for about 2 years.

I think if baiting were made legal and sows with cubs off limits that would be a whole lot better than the way the PGC does it now.

People think that by allowing baiting hunters would kill too many, but if cubs and sows with cubs were off limits then they wouldn't put such a hurting on the population. Similar to how point restrictions on deer are helping increase the number of bucks.
I believe that is why your allowed cubs.You shoot the mother and what are the chances of the small ones to survive?Better to put out of misery now so they don't suffer from starve or freeze to death. Baiting,You know what the SGL would look like if was allowed to bait them? What a mess at the least.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Cmon guys atleast let me get my 50pd cub for my full body mount before we go changing all the laws!! If it's legal to do so why bash someone who wants to kill a cub if they choose to do so? Remember no one is telling you that you must shoot a cub or that you don't have to, but I will say this 90% of bear hunters who have hunted 20 yrs w/out seein a bear are certainly not going to let a mom and her cubs walk by w/out shooting. Sorry to burst everyones bubble but thats just how it is.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

here in new york it IS illegal to shot a bear if there is more than one in a group reason being that way you can't shoot a sow with cubs by "accident " in my opinion if you want a 50 #bear you are just out to kill something and not a hunter
Old 11-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

tky, I understand what you're saying, but it does not have to be like that. People who will willingly shoot a cub are not hunters, sportsman or anything of the such in my opinion. They are just ignorant individuals who portray themselves as "hunters" for a couple weeks each year.

The problem is, hunting is supposed to be a recreational sport, not blood sport. But too many people have to justify their existance by shooting a cub just so they can tell their buddies they shot a "bear". Three years ago, I let a sow with two cubs go the second day of bear season. I had no desire dragging a mother from her cubs or carrying a 50lb cub out of the woods. I feel like I'm the better person for it. If someone else ends up slaughtering the family, its not going to ride on my conscious.

There has been a lot of studies that showed that even without the mother, most cubs will survive the winter if it isn't particularly harsh.

Bottom line for me is, I have absolutely no time or respect for someone who shoots a cub, then goes around bragging about it. If its an honest accident, thats one thing. If you want a 50lb bear, Wal-Mart has lots of stuffed ones.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: tky1187

Cmon guys atleast let me get my 50pd cub for my full body mount before we go changing all the laws!! If it's legal to do so why bash someone who wants to kill a cub if they choose to do so? Remember no one is telling you that you must shoot a cub or that you don't have to, but I will say this 90% of bear hunters who have hunted 20 yrs w/out seein a bear are certainly not going to let a mom and her cubs walk by w/out shooting. Sorry to burst everyones bubble but thats just how it is.
you are a pathetic loser who gives hunters a bad name. please kill yourself.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Sproulman, I totally agree with you. My father just told me about the days when it was illegal to shoot cubs. Seemed most hunters had more sense and showed a little more sportsmanship in the woods. Now, its a free for all out there. And I'm not just talking about bear, its everything, deer especially. I realize the bear population shows no signs of decline even with being allowed to shoot the cubs. But c'mon, you got to be a real low life individual to knowingly shoot a cub.
you dad is right.. i was out today getting my stand ready for buck hunting..i waited this long so if the hunters i met came in i would not have my stand insame area..i hunted this area for 47 years,same SPOT..

well, i had hunter tell me, SPROUL DIDNT YOU SEE MY ORANGE THINGS FLAPPING IN WIND..I SAID, YES, WELL HE SAID, THAT MEANS THIS IS MY SPOT..he even said he been hunting there for last 3 years..

i could have put my stand up on wednesday but i was being nice..i had my stand up at 1 pm,along comes him at 2PMand says, thats my spot,DIDNT YOU SEE ORANGE RIBBONS ALL OVER WOODS and he put his stand up..i said, if you help me ,i will move mine 100 yds away, remember, this is stateforestland and i was being nice!!

he said,NO.. now we have 2 stands 20 yds apart..THIS IS NEW HUNTER..they take out orange strips, hang them all over woods and then say,THIS IS MY SPOT..

what are some hunters turning into..truthfully, i think there should be law passed that hunter cant INTIMDATE OR HARRASS other hunters..i am getting sick of these hunters who think they own woods, they dont..hell, i dont like a bunch of hunters in my spot that i hunted for 47 years, but sproul knows this is stateforestland and i have no rights to say, YOU ONLY HAVE 3 YEARS HERE , I HAVE 47..

it should not come to that..i see and hear it every year..hunters come in and take over area that local hunter has hunted for 50 years..

its PUBLICLAND and no one has right, including me, to say what what said to me today,SPROUL MOVE YOUR STAND, MY ORANGE RIBBONS WERE HERE FIRST AND YOU KNOW I HAVE BEEN HERE FOR 3 YEARS..

Old 11-26-2006, 11:14 PM

LOL, Is that what those orange flags are for? Well someone goanna be pissed off.I seen a few of them weds on trees on the private property I hunt.I am real close friends of the family who owns the land.I put my stand on one of those trees. Should be quite interesting in about 4 and a half hrs from now if thats what they was for.I will just tell them go get bent if they show up there and say anything sarcastic.The owner will stand my side against anyone other on their property. This is why people should become close friends of private land owners and help them with chores as much as possible on the off season other than just come up and hunt during season.There are benifets to this that are well worth it.You can pretty much tell anyone who you don't know to take a hike.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

I went to Pa for bear season and we saw 3 bears, Well my little brother saw 3 bears. It was a mom with 2cubs. He said the cubs were big but he didnt shoot at them because they were still with their mother. That was monday. We didnt see a bear the other 2 days. It was the first time in 4 years that we didnt get a bear. I was proud of my brother because he is the only one of us who has never shot a bear but he used good judgement and passed up on those 3.

Quick Reply: PA Bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.