Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

N.J. COYOTES !

Old 11-20-2006, 05:33 PM

Default N.J. COYOTES !

Hey Gang, I hunt in mostly in zone 23 and this past weekend just at dawn you would have thougt you were in a horror movie when they started to howl! This happend about the same time last year and the deer vanished, I already have some baits that were hit so hard you could'nt keep it on the ground to now it's not getting hit at all. Anyone else dealing with this?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 PM

Default RE: N.J. COYOTES !

I've seen one so far this year but they don't seem to affect the deer movement. Not yet atleast. I hunt zone 25.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had a friend shoot a doe in zone 14 and we couldnt find the deer. the next morning we came back to find the deer within 100 yards of his deerstand and there were coyote tracks all around it and bite marks on its face and throat. the stomach and ass end was ripped out. first deer we ever lost to coyotes. i am definitely buyin a special coyote permit this year. muhahaha.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:21 PM

I live in zone 5 and hunt both zone 5 and zone 6 on a private farm. We are loaded with Coyotes up this way. Last year I shot a Buck during firearms and had to pick up the trail the next morning. By the time we got to it the hind quarters were gone and the stomach opened up. Some of these Coyotes are very big near the 70 - 100 pound range.
But we have more problems with all the Bear on the property not the Coyotes.

DetLieut
Old 11-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Some big yotes in Zone 2 and they do kill deer. A little spooky when you see a small pack chasing deer or startle them as you walk into your stand.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had one come into my stand at zone 21. they are all over the place. im gonna get the permit for the varmint season and help out the deer.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah we got em in Hamilton twp, Bordentown twp.and the Yardville/Groveville area of Mercer county. I hear them all the time in the local wood lot near my house. One time I heard them while talking to a naighbors wife outside and when I said SHHHHH do you hear that? She said what? and I said the coyotes, she laughed and said thats a bunch of dogs barking! We don't have THOSE types of wild animals around here.Freakin clueless city dwellers.When there are deer hit around here on some of the country roads ifyou keep driving by in the wee hours of the morningevery now and again you willspot one. Even one ofmydumb ass huntingbuddies saw one over a deer carcass on the roadand he shouted WOW! did you see the size of the silver fox? I swear i wanted to open the door and kick him out? I said when was the last time you saw a 50 pound foxtugging a 80 pound doe off the road? We lost 2 dear in Pennington to them stinking things 3 years ago.I remenber not that long ago the F&W dept wanted you to phone in and report if you saw one. What a joke.A friend of mine who moved out West and knows the problems these vermin causesaid 10 years agowait and see with our (NJ)deer numbers we will be over run with them in 20 years. I remember you needed a permit to hunt them during reg. hunting seasons then they went to open during, then buy a permit for extended after reg deer season and soon it will be all year round just like all the other states that wised up. Recently heard them and found two half eaten fawns in Springfield twp on our hunting property.I also took a walk in the same woods where I hear them and saw a dead button buck with tracks all around it. I don't know it he was a hunter fatality or the yotes did it. I will be getting thespecial winteryote permit, some 55 grain ballistic tipsfor my 223 and brushing up on my cotton tail in distress calling technique real soon.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

I have a friendthat hunts with dogs their group is about 6 guys. Last yr within a 6 mile radius (guestimation) They took 22 yotes during weekend jaunts that tells me here in North Western N.Y they have settled in quite nicely. When the train goes by at night in the distance they howl their heads off. You can't tell me they aren't getting their fair share of fawns not to mention a few cases of farmers livestock (sheep) I have heard about
Old 11-29-2006, 10:16 AM

I have heard the same thing... central NY has them all over.. my brother shot 2 yotes on opening morning.. bothwere(1)33 lbs.(2)39 lbs. (1)35 1/2 inch long other was(2) 37 1/4. So there out there and doing damage...
Old 11-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had one in zone 9 come running at my tree, it was flying down the mountain, by the time I ejected the 4 dollar slug and put in an 80 cent one that sucker was 100 yds past and away. It came within 20 yds and never slowed down. Must have ran into another hunter on the top. I've never seen anything run so fast.

Quick Reply: N.J. COYOTES !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.