Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

VT Rifle Season

Old 11-26-2002, 11:14 AM
jf5

Default RE: VT Rifle Season

I hear what your saying Rob. My father hunted places in your area such as Lord's Hill, Hardwood, and Spruce Mtn from about 1960-1980. He had some great years, especially in the 60's and early 70's. Last time I was up there, I did see some Ok sign up at Lords,even caught a doe up there, but that was in '99 before the heavy snows.

I agree...I like to see alot of deer while hunting. Even if its just does, seeing animals keeps you motivated. I live in MA, and have been looking to expand my gun season by hunting other states. Problem is, I have very limited time off, so Sunday hunting is a big issue for me. I have been trying to get decent places to hunt in NY and VT. Seems the best areas of VT are either private or pakced, and the big woods are limited in deer numbers. I have been trying to hunt east NY and have found good sign on public lands, but from what I hear its like the civil war out there during gun season.

I love Vermont, and do alot of fishing up there. Would love to combine scouting and trouting. We'll have to see what the future holds for the VT herd.

Good luck in west NY. There are a ton of deer out there.

GRNMTN- Congrats on your buck!!
Old 11-26-2002, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm suprised at the places you mentioned. Lord's Hill is in my parents back yard. Do you know the Carter's? They have a camp on Lord's. One of my favorite places to hunt is between Hardwood Ridge and Spruce Mtn. More specifically the Pigeon Pond area, which is pretty much at the base of Spruce. Beautiful country up there. I know the family which owns the land around Pigeon Pond. It's 4,000 acres which borders Groton State Forest (about 15,000 acres). Where do you fish up here?

I have heard the same thing about the NY gun season. The place we are hunting is a private farm, which I am told is posted. We are paying a tresspass fee for access. Hopefully we won't bump into anyone. I'll find out soon enough.

NH also allows Sunday hunting. I have hunted Pittsburg for several years. Seen a few bucks and even missed one with my smokepole. Like the rest of the north, I though I would give the area a few years to rebound on the population.

. . . Rob

Old 11-27-2002, 12:42 PM
jf5

Hi Rob,

I am mostly familiar with those places through stories from my dad and childhood memories. I saw my first live deer (outside an automobile) on Lords Hill while scouting with my dad in the mid 70's, when I was a child. My dad quit hunting there in the early 80's, so I never had a chance to hunt there.(I was too young before that) I had been looking all around VT for a place to hunt and decided to check out Lord's Hill in the fall of 99 out of curiosity, and we saw the Doe that I spoke of and some sign. You're right, that area has alot of land between GSF and the other natural areas. Plenty of room to hunt. Certainly a beautiful place! I have yet to check out Spruce or Hardwood Mtn as an adult. I do not know the Carters.

I guess the closest places I have fished in your area are the Winooski, Dog and Lamoille Rivers. I usually fish more so in the northern end of the NEK in rivers like the Black, Mississquoi, Barton,Clyde and CT rivers. I also do alot of fishing in SW VT in rivers like the Walloomsac, Furnace Brook, and Hoosic River. Occasionaly I will fish the Rutland area as well...Otter Creek, (the other) Furnace Brook, Poultny River. I usually only fish the lakes through the ice, except Champ.

If you have exclusive privelege on NY posted Land, you should have a great time.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:02 AM

Rob in vt, Do you know any of the wilson, or burns from plainfield, barre, montp,..
Old 11-29-2002, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

There were some Wilson's in school with me. None in my class, but a couple older and one younger. George, Gary, and Greg were older. I think Geoff was the younger one. My wife was friends with a Brenda Burns.

Old 11-29-2002, 09:16 PM

Hunted Eden, Jay and Lincoln Gap area and passed on a spike and 6pt in Eden and a spike in the Gap. Did shoot at a big buck in Gap the second weekend - got the jump on me...no feathers!!! Lots of deer in Eden and far and fewer between in the Gap but some big bucks around. Did a bunch of tracking with all that snow. Hope to come back east for ML for round two.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:04 AM

There the ones, brenda is one of my better friends sister and the wilson gang we know well, My wife went to vermont college and worked fof congresman jeffords,brendas brother paul is moving back up there, Near rutland cant wait to hunt up there, paul is gary best friend.