Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New York shotgun seasons here weres all the bangs >

New York shotgun seasons here weres all the bangs

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York shotgun seasons here weres all the bangs

Old 11-19-2006, 11:07 AM

Default RE: New York shotgun seasons here weres all the bangs

i got a good sized doe this morning in 4B
Old 11-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

matt where in 9x do you hunt I hunt in Portville / Olean area maybe we can get together
Old 11-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Didn't get to pull the trigger this weekend...but still had my best opener in years here in 8P & 8R. Saw6 bucks and a bunch of does yest...passed on a couple of small bucks and a couple of big does (no DMP's for this unit). We were in the back of the truck setting up a drive about 10:00 yest. and there was an absoluteMONSTER standing out in the neighbors field tending a doe. Don't know how many points he had but he was a huge bodied deer with a really tall and wide rack...without a doubt the biggest buck that I've ever seen during open season. The funny thing is, they apparently were bedding in a small swampy patch of brush/goldenrod within 100 yds. of a cabin with 4-wheelers driving all around them! The image of him turning around and going back into the goldenroad is still etched into my mind. Saw a couple more nice bucks but couldn't get a clean shot on either. Had a nice buck grunting and chasing does out in front of me during a drive this morning. The 4 does came within a few yards of me and spooked causing the buck to stop behind some brush where I couldn't shoot. I've heard of a few big bucks getting taken in the area, including a real nice 10-pt. up the road and a 24" monster on the winery property that I hunt. Still lots of bucks out there for the taking. I've got until Sat. off so I plan on doing some serious hunting this week.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

I hunted in 8r and 8w. I saw 4 does in 2 days. We had 2 deer taken in the party of 7. This was on my buddies property and some other local spots. This was the worst he has seen in many years!
Old 11-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

I passed doe and button buck after doe and button buck....all day on opener. Then, I got to pass on more button bucks this morning. Only fun part was watching how close they got to my stands, and watching them look up and almost through me before moving on without alarm.

The kid I'm mentoring finally scored this morning. He got a 2 point that in all reality was a 4 point before the rut. His right antler was snapped off at the base.

Saw two nice bucks taken on opener, then the hunter #'s dropped today big time. I'd say a fair amount of shooting yesterday.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

7m, heard quite a few shots in morning on the state land surrounding my property. Quieted down after 9am, most shots all came from one general area. I sat with my son 7hrs Sat. It was his first shotgun season, and I'd alreadly gotten deer with my bow. Unfortunately we never saw a single deer. Today we hunted until 10am, and samething not a single deer. My lucky brother shot a small 8pt. He's seems to get one the first couple days shotgun every yr. He just goes whereever, and bang. Never hunts same spot. Drives me nuts! Today was a few single shots. Not so much of the repeated flying lead shots. I wish it was still archery season!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Very quiet in 8T, worst opener I ever seen in 30 years of hunting
Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

horrible opener in 3h, saw zero deer and the shots being fired were done about 80 percent than normal,
you guys think its because of the hot weather?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:30 PM

They must have all been over here in 7s, the came up and anounced the coffee break was over and the war began. I think most of the shots I heard were from few hunters, that had little or no practice or they just liked to here their gun go off.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:29 PM

I fired a shot at 8AM at a 4-pointer at 20 yds. out. I watch the deer bolt behind the stand and back off to my left dragging its right shoulder. I figured i got a decent hit in the shoulder area. The deer stops about 75 yds. back and to the left, I figured it was going to drop there. I would have taken a second shot to put it down but all I could see was its ass. 20 seconds later the deer walks off dragging its right front leg. I almost **** a brick. Almost an hour later a doe comes by about 80 yds. behind my stand and couldn't get a shot because she was over a lip on the ridge. A half hour after that I go to see if I could track that deer down. After searching for 2.5 hours I only got 7 drops of blood and gave up. I thought the Hornady SST's didn't do the job, I thought I got a good shot that took out both lungs. So I was pretty disgusted and started to walk the property. Later at 4PM or so I'm getting pretty bored and its starting to get dark so I'm sitting there looking over the gun because it got dirty going all over and what not, then I look at the Serial Number on the gun. ITS MY BROTHER'S GUN!!! I wanted to kill him when I realized that. We have identical guns because they were gifts from my dad and he bought two of everything and the only way we can tell the difference is serial numbers. I have the higher number. He keeps getting them mixed up. So I switch the guns so I know I would be handling mine yesterday. We get our guns out yesterday morning, holding his gun, starts on me saying he has my gun. I just wanted to knock some sense into him, but I just gave him a sarcastic remark. So that's why I didn't get a deer opening day.

Yesterday I jumped 4 or 5 deer walking the property but couldn't get a shot because I had a scope on the gun and couldn't pick up on them in time. If I had open sights I could have got maybe one of them. It was fairly quiet on opening day in 7R. Shots rang out somewhat steadily saturday all day long but the volume of shots was much lower than I expected.

Quick Reply: New York shotgun seasons here weres all the bangs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.