Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Opening Day Success Despite It All >

Opening Day Success Despite It All

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Opening Day Success Despite It All

Old 11-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Opening Day Success Despite It All

I was not even suppose to hunt this morning but the wife had a bug and stayed home to get the kids off to school. I saw the opportunity and jumped in the car and off I went. Got to Sterling Forest about 5:30 and went to my new secret spot........the parking area looked like a small city with all the car dome lights. So much for that secret, backed out and went to another spot that I see very little interest. Got up the hill and started working down a trail and there is another hunter already walking up it. Where did he come from, no cars in the area. Shagged it back down and went about 500 yards over and back up the hill and into an area I had not been before. I finally found a rock ledge overlooking a nice area and settled in. It is now about 6:30 and the crazies start blasting away. How many shots does it take to kill 1 deer for christ sake? I only heard one other guy shoot 1 shot, the rapid fire winner was 8 rounds in about 7 seconds (5 shot max capacity???) Anyway, I sat until about 9:30 and got a bit of a chill and thought to myself, lets take a walk and get the blood flowing again. No sooner than that thought ran through my mind, I see deer legs, then chest, then head...........BIG HORNS. I picked a spot let the .35 Remington do the rest, broke both shoulders and put him down in a 1' deep puddle that he was thrashing around in and gave up the ghost. Real nice 8 pointer, good mass, big body, about 175-180lbs (was 6000 lbs by the time I got him to the truck). The park Rangers took a photo for the books and told me it was one of the better 8 pointers to come from that area. If someone would help me out I will put the pic on the board, dont know how.

10 Pointers
Old 11-19-2002, 06:35 AM

Default RE: Opening Day Success Despite It All

Congrats Rodsmith, sounds like a brute. Can't help you wiht the pics, but I'm sure somebody will.
What kind of load do you use in the .35? My grandfather left me his, and I think I'm going to finally take it out this year. Beautiful gun.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 11-19-2002, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

What make/model of 35 did ya get? I love this round, going 9 for 9 can make you very partial.

10 Pointers
Old 11-19-2002, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats Rodsmith. Sounds like a good buck. If you scan the pic send it to me and I'll post it here..

Edited by - JerseyJoe on 11/19/2002 15:00:40
Old 11-19-2002, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck!
http://home.hpphoto.com/servlet/Link...953e75&size=lg

Edited by - JerseyJoe on 11/19/2002 14:59:40
Old 11-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

My dad has hunted for years with a .35 remington - the old classic semi-auto (model 8A?) which has been modified with a peep sight. He calls it Ol' Knock 'Em Stiff and it sure as hell does. I shot a buck with that gun two years ago and he dropped where he stood. The old man claims he can count on one hand the number of deer who have taken even a step after getting hit with it (out of 40 years of taking deer almost every single year). Not too many calibers can do that - even my 30-06 let one run 50 yards after taking it through the heart and lungs this year. Not to mention the fact that that .35 is excellent in the brush.

My dad's gun belonged to his grandfather who was a Maine Guide and hunting buddies with LL Bean. That gun has shot deer for years and years. Now I usually use it except when I'm sitting in my tree stand (it's a 200 yard alley) because the old man likes to use my scope which is easier with his eyesight.

Congrats on the buck - hope you can get a picture posted.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:47 AM

Mine is an old lever action he used for hunting in Maine too.
I'm not sure the model, I'll check tonight, it has the shortened tubular mag, which I remember him telling me was what set it apart, it was only made on certain years, or a certain year, somthing like that.
I've never fired it, it's been loccked away for these paast few years, but was planning on getting a box of cartridges and shooting it this weekend, so let me get the model and I'll ask you fellas for some recomendations on which loads to buy tomorrow.
I'd still like to see that buck.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 11-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

6point, in the tube fed you are restricted to the round nose ammo unless you have one of the old Remington model 14A or the 114 which were both pumps. Pointed ammo in the straight tube has been known to set each other off with the recoil. That could definitely put a hurtin to ya. I had some bad occurances with the Remington ammo (lots of duds) so have stuck with the Winchester and Federal. Both are in the 200 gr round nose factory loads and both fly very well out of my gun although the Winchesters group better. I tried to e-mail you at the princeton addy but it got kicked back. The pic was posted earlier but I just got on and it was a blank????? no clue what happened

10 Pointers
Old 11-19-2002, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Rodsmith,

Just wanted to thank you for the story. I like reading people's stories almost as much as hunting itself! Congratulations!
Old 11-19-2002, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go!

Congrats.

Hunting the wilds of Jersey

Quick Reply: Opening Day Success Despite It All

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.