Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MISSED A EASY SHOT FRIDAY! >

MISSED A EASY SHOT FRIDAY!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MISSED A EASY SHOT FRIDAY!

Old 11-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default MISSED A EASY SHOT FRIDAY!

I had Friday off to take advantage of bowhunting during the rut. My Bow season thus far has been slower than death. As of Friday morning I had only seen ONE deer while bowhunting. At about 9:00 I heard a noise off to about my 7:00. I slowly look left and see a 6 pointer making his way right to my stand. I think to myself that there is now way that he will miss me here in my tree so I look straight ahead to avoid making eye contact. I look out of the corner of my eye and he stops broadside to my left. I keep lookin straight because I know if I go for the bow on the ez-hanger it would be all over. He looks twice up in the tree at me but does not run. He begins to continue walking another 5 yards and stops to smell where I had put some Tinks on the ground on my way in. This allowed me an opportunity to pick up my bow and draw. I put the the pin behind the shoulder, pulled the trigger and shot just underneath him!! He runs about 20 yards and stops. he didnt know what it was so he continued about his business. I got another arrow ready and thought I might get another opportunity but I had no shot due to obstructions. he continued walking. I tried my "can" call and he didnt even look at me. Tried my Grunt tube, same response. I watched him for about 10 minutes as he continued browsing and walking away! I have to compare this with missing a 1 foot putt in golf! (by the way, im not a golfer) After it was over, I took my range finder and zapped the leaves that were scuffed up where he bolted-15 yards! I have been kicking myself ever since. I guess that is why they call it hunting and not killing. I hunted all day Friday and yesterday and didnt see a thing. I still have this afternoon and a vacation day tomorrow to get "one more shot"! I just had to vent a little. I feel a little better but by butt is still sore from me kicking it!!
MIKE
Old 11-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MISSED A EASY SHOT FRIDAY!

A common mistake many make is to not come to complete full draw when the moment of truth comes. If you are short of full draw it will make you shoot many inches low. This happens alot when shooting down from a tree because the lower shot angle makes it more likely to result in not making it to full draw. At least you missed him clean. Things could be worse.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if it makes you feel any better..........

I missed a dandy, the one I've been hunting this season on the account of a limb. I ended up shooting in front of him and nicking his brisket. He trotted off and haven't seen him since.

Oh well, now I'll have a gun next time I see him.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

I had a bad miss earlier this season on one of the two large bucks I had scouted for all summer, except my arrow passed through himat 11 yards so low that he didn't lose a step despite a bit of blood loss. Fortunately for me, I've seen him several times since, doing A-OK.

I've had the luxury of seeing more bucks than typical this archery season, so it did take off the pressure of my miss a bit. If I had to endure the same as you, I'd still be beating myself up. Just chalk it up to destiny, fate, bad luck, and learn from it if you can. I'm sure you've replayed that arrow's flight a billion times. You missed clean, and that's better than a terrible hit. There's some consolation in that.

Best of luck.