HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   ny deer movement? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/164561-ny-deer-movement.html)

ABarOfSoap 11-11-2006 07:38 PM

ny deer movement?

anyone in ny seeing less action,i think the unusally hot temps are to blame, but the deer seem to move at night now.
Maybe by next weekend the no moon will bring them out during the day :eek:

ShortHanded 11-11-2006 07:52 PM

RE: ny deer movement?

the warmer weather didn't help, but where I hunt pressure has been high. also, it is possible some bucks are starting to tenddoes

GR8RALLY 11-12-2006 08:07 AM

ABarofSoap, I live on LI as well, only hunted there once at the Rocky Point location last year and there was why too much pressure for me and what I'm use to with my own property in upstate NY. The news from what I hear has been good for private property harvest out on the East End of LI on farm lands, a 12 pointer was taken in West Hampton on a 10 acre lot last week, from what was being said at the local gun shop. My neighbor works at Brookhaven Labs and said a week or two ago, DEC came in and killed 100 deer due to over population within the Labs boarder. He stated nice 8-10 pointers where killed, as well as many does. What A shame, they could have let local hunters in to do the work for them.

In upsate NY where my camp is, I planted 3 food plots for the first time in the fall, totalling 4 acres and I have not seen soooo many deer since I've own the place in the last four years. Did not harvest any deer this bow season, that was due to my choice though, not lack of opportunity. Going up Nov. 17 and will be there for two weeks, friends and family with kids will be coming up spread out through the two week period,so everyone will have a chance to harvest or participate in a hunt.

As for the Weather, it's been pretty good at my land, but here on the Island has been very warm. Good luck to you and hope you bag more than one this year!!!;)

gbmetcalf 11-12-2006 10:11 AM

GR8RALLY:
What did you plant in your food lots? A few friends and I hunt a friends land and we have been seeing less and less deer in the area because the farms are all going belly up. We want to put in some food lots but am not sure what to plant.

ABarOfSoap 11-12-2006 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: GR8RALLY

ABarofSoap, I live on LI as well, only hunted there once at the Rocky Point location last year and there was why too much pressure for me and what I'm use to with my own property in upstate NY. The news from what I hear has been good for private property harvest out on the East End of LI on farm lands, a 12 pointer was taken in West Hampton on a 10 acre lot last week, from what was being said at the local gun shop. My neighbor works at Brookhaven Labs and said a week or two ago, DEC came in and killed 100 deer due to over population within the Labs boarder. He stated nice 8-10 pointers where killed, as well as many does. What A shame, they could have let local hunters in to do the work for them.

In upsate NY where my camp is, I planted 3 food plots for the first time in the fall, totalling 4 acres and I have not seen soooo many deer since I've own the place in the last four years. Did not harvest any deer this bow season, that was due to my choice though, not lack of opportunity. Going up Nov. 17 and will be there for two weeks, friends and family with kids will be coming up spread out through the two week period,so everyone will have a chance to harvest or participate in a hunt.

As for the Weather, it's been pretty good at my land, but here on the Island has been very warm. Good luck to you and hope you bag more than one this year!!!;)
im going up friday as well, it will feel great to have a rifle in my hand because ive had 12 deer this year in bow range, and havent been able to kill any of them! im ready to get one!
gl

GR8RALLY 11-12-2006 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: gbmetcalf

GR8RALLY:
What did you plant in your food lots? A few friends and I hunt a friends land and we have been seeing less and less deer in the area because the farms are all going belly up. We want to put in some food lots but am not sure what to plant.

In August, I planted Biologic Premium Perennial (Clover, Chicory and Brassica). The Clover and Chicory are just building their root systemin Aug & Sept. so that they'll have a heads up in the early spring, but the Brassica is the food ofchoice right now.It is about knee high and the deer have mowed the edges down to about 3". Some told me that it may take a season or two for deer to adapt to it, but the deer in my area took to it right away, even though there is other forage still avail. As thetemp continues to drop, the plant becomes sweeter, so I'm sure they will finish it off by the end of Dec. if not sooner!Very pleased with the product. Going to also plant another 4 acres in the spring in another location near by that will be a spring/summer forage for the deer and turkey, this should help in attracting and keeping deer on my property and help with thier growth development.

GR8RALLY 11-12-2006 03:17 PM

[/quote]

im going up friday as well, it will feel great to have a rifle in my hand because ive had 12 deer this year in bow range, and havent been able to kill any of them! im ready to get one!
gl
[/quote]

I know how you feel, I been itching to go up and try my new rifle out on an actual deer, ratherthen a target. Plus now, those bucks that were too far away from me to harvest with a bow, won't have a chance up to 250 yards!

xlilcntrygrlx 11-12-2006 03:29 PM

I should have taken this coming week off instead of last week. I didn't really see a lot of movement till the last few days with last night and this morning being the best. Didn't get anything, however in the last few days have seen a lot of rut activity and several deer. It should be a good opening weekend for regular season! Good luck everyone it should be getting good now!