HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   WV Boys....Get ready (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/162345-wv-boys-get-ready.html)

Pro-Line 10-29-2006 05:57 PM

WV Boys....Get ready

I hunted this weekend at my farm in Braxton County. Sat morning, as windy and rainy as it was, I got in the stand about 6:30am.

I was in the tree a whopping 15 minutes until I heard a grunt and crunching leaves. Luckily, the doe came right by my tree...and the buck stopped RIGHT under me. He was a 6pt about 12" wide..not a shooter buck. He grunted every other step while chasing the doe. I tried to get a shot at the doe, but she didn't stop.

About ten minutes later a 5 point chased a whole gaggle of does right in front of me. I couldn't get a shot at the doe at that point. There was a real dark doe that was bigger than the buck thatI would have shot, but she didn't give me a shot...

The buck chased the does back by me, and the dark doe stopped at about 25yds, and I let her have it. The shot looked good, so I waited about 30 mins and then followed.

The blood trail was good...but longer than I would have liked. It was about 150yds, but the deer was stone dead. Only problem was the the deer was a spike! The horns were about 4" long, and I never saw them. The deer was 131lbs on a scale, dressed. It needed to be culled.

Real exciting day. Can't wait until this weekend. The rut is going strong!

hillbillyhunter1 10-29-2006 07:34 PM

RE: WV Boys....Get ready

Way to go. As I said in the other post, you are the man for sittin in the tree on Sat. Most trees around here you wouldn't have had to climb to get in the top. If you could have timed it right you could have just jumped in them when they were bent over double:D

Pro-Line 10-29-2006 08:25 PM

Hillbilly...I've found that the worst weather days are often the best days of hunting for me....It's not like that everywhere, but our hollar seems to be that way.

Thanks for the kind words... and good luck to you, too.

BTW...where are you in WV???

WVHunter129 10-30-2006 08:41 AM

Congrats proline on your harvest!!

I am ready for the upcoming bucks only season. Rifle is ready and camp is ready...went up to camp Sunday before last...Greenbrier Co. Took my camper that I restored back up there and set it up. So only waiting for the day to leave.

My son and I went hunting this past Saturday...whew what a nasty day. I sat in my ladder stand for 3 hours and didn't see anything. Not even a squirrel or bird.

But, I figured this might be the day a big ole buck may be out. Since I got my 7 pointer I am holding out now for a big boy!!

Again congrats!!

DougMD 10-30-2006 09:31 AM

Congratulations on the harvest!

Man, this early action has me mystified. I always figured WV to be second week of November or so. I expect to go any day now, and make several trips between now and rifle season. Fortunately, I have a flexible situation with vacation and work!

Pro-Line 10-30-2006 03:46 PM

Doug...I'm heading back down on Thurs night. I'll be toting the video camera in the hopes of catching my kill on camera.

There's a beautiful 8pt in the hollar that I'm hunitng that is over 20" wide. Hopefull I'll see him.

Good luck to all.

chazspot 10-30-2006 04:28 PM

My buddy went out this weekend in and saw all kinds of action. I don't go out until this Saturday and then a couple days off next week and the week after that. Why do I get the feeling I'm going in too late????

hillbillyhunter1 10-30-2006 06:08 PM

You'll be fine and in the heat of things by this weekend chaz

Pro-line, Eastern panhandle here. I hunt Jefferson (near where I live now) and Hardy (where I grew up) counties and have some good places in both. It's killing me to have to wait til thursday or Firday now:D

good luck all

Pro-Line 10-30-2006 06:20 PM

I can remember in the late 80's when I was in college...sitting in a tree in early November and hearing bucks grunting and running all over the place. It seems like it is like that again.

I just hope I see a nice one this year...We've managed to take 4 deer over 115" in the past 3 years, so I hope the trend continues.

I know we'll never be growing 150" deer in central WV...and I'm OK with that. Any deer that is approaching 100" is a shooter in my book.

gutshot 10-31-2006 09:46 AM

I took last week off and the weather killed me most of those days. I did kill a 125-130 lbs. doe on the first Saturday. I'm off again all of next week so hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can own some bone also.