HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Official Rut Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/162211-official-rut-thread.html)

Saxman1819 10-28-2006 08:20 PM

Official Rut Thread

I didn't see an offical thread anywhere dealing with the rut so I'm starting one.

Just post when you start seeing it happening or you get that buck to come to the doe in esterus scent.

Anyone yet? I haven't been out in the last couple of days so I don't know what's going on yet.

Lefty26 10-29-2006 08:08 AM

RE: Official Rut Thread

I haven't been out since ML season, but I have the next 2 weeks off of work. I will be hunting just about every day so I will post some updates.

Saxman1819 10-29-2006 12:26 PM

Cool. I'll be out tomorrow around noon. I'm getting off work early. It's the rut man. You have to know your priorities. :D

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-29-2006 12:34 PM

It's definately picking up. I'm sure random does have been bred already. Peak is still about 15 days off give or take.

Prerut is now, peak rut is considered when about 90% of the doe population are in estrous. I've witness a heated battle between 2 gorgeous bucks, I shot the smaller a week later, just this past Thursday. He came on a string to my River Valley Deer Flute, grunts and bleats from 200 yards.

doughboysigep 10-29-2006 01:39 PM

Field & Stream had an excellent article on hunting the rut. It had just the info I was looking for. It started listing the 5 best days to hunt the "rut". It then talked about scents and calls (and other things) and which to use and when (ie - use bleat calls in this part of rut and don't use it during this part, use estrus scent during ..., use buck urineat these times, etc.). Best, concise info I have seen. If you have general questions on the rut, go grab a copy.

Saxman1819 10-30-2006 06:16 PM

Well I went out tonight and didn't see squat. Nothing moved except squirrels tonight. I was in stand at 2:30 and was there for 2.5 to 3 hours. As I was walking back to the truck I could hear deer moving in the thick stuff.

I had put out some Tinks 69 Doe in Estrus Gel near where I hung my stand. Nothing. Maybe still to early here in MD. Anyone else?

Lefty26 10-30-2006 07:14 PM

I think it was the weather more that anything. I planned on sitting all day but I did not see anything by 11am and I was sweating my butt of in my stand so I took the afternoon off and did some fishing. Went back out for the evening hunt and didn't see anything. Tomorrow isn't going to be any better but we should see cold weather starting Wednesday. I this cold snap at the end of this week will get things rolling and you will see some seeking and chasing.

Saxman1819 10-30-2006 07:18 PM

I hope to go out Sat then. I can't get a free day till the weekend. :-( I hate school.

HammytheHunter 10-30-2006 10:41 PM

Its still prerut, so only a few does are beginning to become in heat. Within the next few weeks, we should see things pick up here in MD. I've seen plenty of sign, but I think that most of it has been created by the smaller bucks.

I agree with Lefty that these 2-3 days of warm weather may slow things down a bit, but by the weekend, it should be a little cooler and hopefully things pick up. My guess is that the second and third weeks of November are going to be a great time to be in the woods.

nybowhunter 10-31-2006 04:05 AM

At our camp we all have seen small bucks chasing does. It's starting to heat up out there.