Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PREDICTED RUT FOR SOUTHERN NY >

PREDICTED RUT FOR SOUTHERN NY

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PREDICTED RUT FOR SOUTHERN NY

Old 10-25-2006, 03:37 PM

Default PREDICTED RUT FOR SOUTHERN NY

Does anyone know when the rut is predicted for this year? Usually the DEC posts it on there web site but i cannot find it and usually there pretty close every year. I see many scrapes now forthe last2 weeks so it should be soon.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PREDICTED RUT FOR SOUTHERN NY

i hunt 3h, and im intersted in when the rut starts too?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:12 PM

hey bar of soap, i also hunt 3h. If your at all interested in bear hunting let me know. i have awsome property! i lost my hunting buddy and Im looking for some company in the bear woods.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: messenger516

hey bar of soap, i also hunt 3h. If your at all interested in bear hunting let me know. i have awsome property! i lost my hunting buddy and Im looking for some company in the bear woods.
im more of a whitetail hunter, but it might be cool to give bear atry, ive never done it before. Do you also need a deer buddy? , my grandpa died last year andnext seasoni will have no place to hunt in 3h.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

in general, the "rut" is in full gear the first couple weeks of November. the pre-rut should be starting now (??). when you start seeing a higher number of dead deer on the roads/highways is a good sign the rut is in full swing. I personally haven't seen any scrapes and only one small rub. starting to wonder if there are any bucks in my area.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

in general, the "rut" is in full gear the first couple weeks of November. the pre-rut should be starting now (??). when you start seeing a higher number of dead deer on the roads/highways is a good sign the rut is in full swing. I personally haven't seen any scrapes and only one small rub. starting to wonder if there are any bucks in my area.

im the exact oppiste, ive found so many rubs and scrapes i cant even count em all, and one weekend i saw 4 bucks, the next weekend not even 1 deer!
i cant figure them out now.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:54 PM

bar of soap i emailed you
Old 10-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

posted this on "official rut thread"

Field & Stream had an excellent article on hunting the rut. It had just the info I was looking for. It started listing the 5 best days to hunt the "rut". It then talked about scents and calls (and other things) and which to use and when (ie - use bleat calls in this part of rut and don't use it during this part, use estrus scent during ..., use buck urineat these times, etc.). Best, concise info I have seen. If you have general questions on the rut, go grab a copy.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest contacting your DEC regional office, and they'll connect you to a DEC biologists. My brother does this every yr for our area, and they've always been within a day or 2. They usually have narrowed down to exact dates. If anything it gives you a idea, and you can see if they are close for your woods. Not every area in NYS starts the same. But most are roughly the 2nd wk of Nov.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

I Second the article in Field & Stream regarding the rut. I think I'll hold on to that month since I'm new to hunting. It would begoodfor anyone to have notonly abeginner like me. Tomorrow is Oct. 31st. One of the days they suggest to hunt. I'llbe out and I'll be able to see how accurate the article is for that day.

Quick Reply: PREDICTED RUT FOR SOUTHERN NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.