Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA guys seeing any pre rut activity yet? >

PA guys seeing any pre rut activity yet?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA guys seeing any pre rut activity yet?

Old 10-25-2006, 06:06 AM
Spike

Default RE: PA guys seeing any pre rut activity yet?

I took a quick trip to Bradford County over Columbus Day weekend. On the second day of my trip I had a small 6pt chase a pile of does past my stand at 10am, grunting as he went. The next day he came in alone... his mistake. Taking him out on the four wheeler we found 6-8 scrapes within 100yds of my stand.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where in Bradford County? I hunt and own near Canton........

Yes, they deer are moving in Bradford County. I have a large 100-105" 7 point on the property that has been scent checking does in one field we own, and Dan had another smaller 7 walk under his stand Sat morning that was out cruising. Next weekend should be good I hope. Maybe we will get another cold snap.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am just not seeing any buck sign like i have in the years past.... I know there are around , just the amount of territorial rubs and scrapes are at an all time low , i usually see atleast a bunch of small trees that have been picked on by now , and im not even seeing that.... as for deer activity , the wind this past weekend blowing at around 17 mph in my area didnt help , saw the hind end of one as it walked in some thick crab apples , and that was it all weekend , not a whole deer was spotted by me..... i hope it changes soon , im starting to get really frustrated!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:34 PM

ok now were cooking !!! seen @ 3:00 today in a wide open field A buck chaseing a ALBINO DOE !! I SLAMMED on the brakes to watch he was going crazy don't know how big he was to far away but it's a good sign !
Old 10-25-2006, 06:34 PM

i have seen an increase in roadkill on my way to work this week 3 does in one day. I have also seen about 4 scrapes and a couple of rubs. I saw the buck that was doing them but he was a small one. Hopefully this saturday i see some of the bigger bucks i know are in the area.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:57 AM
Spike

Rick,

I hunt just north of you in the Columbia Crossroads - South Creek Area. I have been hunting that area for almost twenty years now. Ask me, the hunting has never been better. Sure I dont see 30 does at time any more but I do see decent bucks on a regular basis. We took a trip out spot lighting one night and I saw more 120"+ deer than I have seen in all my previous years combined. I only had 3 days, so I settled on the first legal buck that gave me a clear shot. Next year I will be staying a full week so I can be a little more picky about what I shoot.

MA_bwhntr
Old 10-26-2006, 06:19 AM

I hunt up in bradford county as well near le raysville. Last weekend i hit the can b/c i saw a small six about 100 yds out near some does. After i hit the can, he go all fired up and started chasing the does with the head down posturing check to see if they were ready. I also rattled a little which brought him in but my area has recently been logged so he was able to circle downwind and after checking with his head up and not finding any does he walked off (never winded me though which was good)

Very cool encounter.

We also saw a large 8 checking his scrapes along a field edge in the early evening about 6ish.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

i think were very late
Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

we're right on time. I've been seeing some buck sign not as much as years past but i've been finding it. I rattled a buck in tuesday night but was presented with no shot. They are on their feet the pre-rut is here. It usually kicks off good right around halloween so we're right on time here in somerset county.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The roadkills are everywhere the past few days! It wont be long now......

Quick Reply: PA guys seeing any pre rut activity yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.