Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 I just don't get some hunters! >

I just don't get some hunters!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I just don't get some hunters!

Old 10-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I just don't get some hunters!

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

Sproulman, is all this crap your going through a result of PA's antler restrictions, and major doe kill off? Has it made other hunters that desperate to get a deer, they are willing to play trepass games, and threaten others on public land.
NY is doing pilot projects in certain units for antler restrictions. If this is what it'll lead too its nothing I would want. I've heard horror stories of states like Illinois on private property, and places to hunt.
We had a few problems with trepassers the first couple yrs owned the piece we bought. Several complaining had hunted it for yrs. Well I know how they feel, been in their shoes. But they could've bought it just as easily. I had hunters telling me I was posting land illegally, it was public land. Wouldn't leave until I took their back tag #'s, and went to call authories. Once they realized we were serious its backed down alot.
buck, YES..i have nice bucks on my privateland but i very seldom hunt there..i am addicted to my area where i grew up on stateforestland..it has memories and hard for me to change..

do to the antler restrictionyou will see more bigger bucks IFand i mean IF hunters dont shoot the little bucks..i believe thats not being done,so program should fail.. i like program but if dads and friends carry a kids license or have kid there and shoot little bucks ,or kid shoots it,no way the program for bigger horns or older buck is going to work..

then throw in the doe killing and shooting the button bucks..i very seldom ever saw a button buck shot by hunters years ago.. we would only pick out a OLD DOE..

now, its BROWN ITS DOWN..so, i will give the antler program a few years yet but i believe it will not work UNTIL no buck is allowed to be harvested unless it has 3 points on 1 side or hunters look before they shoot a button buck ..

right now, pgc/dcnr has everyone out to kill doe,so very few care if its button buck..
Old 10-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Continue to hunt it as you have been till you see the guy. Maybe he really doesnt have a clue. The painted trees imply that this guy is inexperienced at least. I remember one opening day of rifle season, my son andI were in a treestand and a guy walked in and sat down 40 yards away. I stewed for awhile and finally got down and went over to talk to him. Turned out he never even saw us, it was his second time hunting and he really had no clue that he was too close. He apologized and I guided him to another decent spot nearby that was also a good spot but didnt interfere with ny son and I. He thanked me for the help and left happy.

When you run into him, try to reason with him and if that doesnt work, move your stand 10 yards away facing right at him. He'll get the message. BT BOWHUNTER, i go into my spot and sit right next to the hunters in treestands .. they dont like it but no one is chasing me out my hunting area..i have been hunting there for 50 years,do they have right to put 6 or 8 stands all over the area i grew up in and my dad and uncles?

yes they do because its STATEFORESTLAND..they dont care.. i did..i was watching a lobster show on tv.. the boats were there for 100 years.. open waters for anyone to catch lobsters in traps. 3 and 4 generations..

a boat called lady one was like hunters coming in now with no respect for you being in there for 50 years..

well, guess what happened..SOMEONE took and cut 150 cages of their lobster traps..they interviewd the other boats and they all said these NEW lobster hunters have no respect for us even tho we were here first and 3 generations..

this is same thing that is now happening on STATEFORESTLAND..no respect,in fact, if they know where you are putting your stand, they will be there first day..

i have friends that have to bury the guts of deer/bear because the disrespectful hunters will sit in that spot for years..

they get in middle of their drives ON PURPOSE and kill deer that crews worked so hard to get..

so, there it is..
Old 10-23-2006, 07:29 PM

I'm not saying this guy isn't an idiot, who paints trees? I would hunt somewhere else too, but I get annoyed when somebody sets up like they own the forest and then get angry when sombody else hunts near by. Tree stands are hard to see sometimes. If you leave a stand out 7 days a week and only hunt it 1 day you are screwing everyone else that would like to hunt in that area. It's public land that means everyone is entitled to hunt wherever they want to. Just because you found it nine years ago means nothing it's not your land.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

very true,

i went outand left my ladder stand up..when i got there ,a kid was in it..he looked like death in his face..i said, ah heck, stay in it,i will go over 1 hollow and sit down..

thats why i bought cheap ladder stand at dicks for 49 dollars..if its damaged or stolen, oh well..nothing to get mad over..i am looking at those new stands coming out that have hinges and you can set up quick..

i am contacting a dealer to see if i can test it outafter deer season this year..
Old 10-24-2006, 03:41 PM
jf5

Interestingperceptions.

IMOIf you are on public land and are not in the stand,there should be no issue. Now if you alreayare there and he sits 40 yards away, he's legally OK in most states, but a jerk in reality. But just because your stand is there does not mean he cannot hunt the area of public land when you are not there. As long as he stays out of your stand or the areas when you are in the stand,he's OK in my book.

I once was hunting public lands inMA Berkshires. I entered the woods well before light to get to myground blindin time for dawn. Soon after light, a guy comes down and sits on a logsome 35 yards below me. This is gun season so I am obviously in orange and easy to see. I walk over and ask him nicely to move. He rips into me. "I have been hunting here for 35 years!!" I responded that I had been hunting there since 5:30am! He left pissed. But who's the jerk?? He had no stand, just a favorite log he sat on. I had noway to know aheadthat he would sit there like if he hada tree stand. So it wasn't on purpose. But I was the bad guy hunting in HIS area of PUBLIC LAND!! Ironically I helped him recover a doe he wounded, andyet he still latercomplained to my brother (he didn't know it was my brother) that "some punk stole my spot!"

Another good example. My family bought a home in western MA on 5 acres of land surrounded by thousands of acres of Public Land. My father and brother where turkey hunting and hear a hunters call from the house area. They walk over to see a guyhunting from OUR PORCH!! My father askedhim to leave the vacinity of the house and to hunt the public land outside out 5AC.The guy snarledback about folks like us "buying all the land and ruinung it for everyone"(We own 5 acres in the middle of 4000+ open landhe can hunt Apparently,The previous house owner was rarely around for the spring and fall hunting seasons, so this guy used to hunt from the house porchall the time. Depsite it being a seriousviolation of our shooting laws (500 ft from dwelling) But the guy still felt he had the right to do it since he had been doing so "for almost 20 years"
Old 10-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

only thing you can do now is go in and put your stand where you want..even if someone is 20 ft away..

who has more rights, i dont know because its PUBLICLAND..so we cant even think that way now..this is way nj hunters leave their stands up ALL year here on publicland in pa.they think that means its their spot..

my hunting spot is ruined by these hunters but nothing i can do because i dont OWN IT..yes, i have 50 years in there, feeding deer, cutting browse,making sure doe were not all killed out.

now, in they come, they dont even join the local sportsmen club,only 5 dollars..thats kind of people that are now in woods..

its going to get a lot worst to as less deer,more scouting and more hunters that will be in 1 area..

hunters are doing more scouting now than i have ever seen do to lack of deer in wmu 2G..

i feel your pain but none of us have right to tell anyone that this is our spot..even tho i would like to say that to hunters i am seeing today but it would do no good..this is why you must make sure that no one knows where you shot your deer,if you can..

if you do, next year a stand will be in that spot..this is why many are burying deer guts now..
Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Spike

If you look in your sylabus, on the last page under state lands, it says it is illegal to leave any personnel property behind when leaving state land, I would assume your treestand and camera are personell property.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:44 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: rich e

If you look in your sylabus, on the last page under state lands, it says it is illegal to leave any personnel property behind when leaving state land, I would assume your treestand and camera are personell property.
True in most states
Old 10-25-2006, 11:54 AM

I hunt all public land in PA where it is illegal to leave your stand out. I get irritated when people leave a stand up in the woods claiming the spot for weeks on end and only hunt it for few days. I bring my stand out every day unless I'm hunting it the next day I hunt from dark til dark so theres no way I'm going hog the spot so nobody else can hunt it. Wouldn't you be angry if you hiked in an hour and the honey hole you found earlier in the season had a stand up with nobody in it? Private land is totally different. Public land you don't own and can't claim.
I agree 100% I hate when guys hang a stand on public land and then think the area is theirs and no one else should hunt it. I have people do that all the time on public land in MD. I usually call theDNR with the GPS cordinates of the stand and they come out and remove the stands. Public land is first come first serve, just because your stand is there doesn't mean you are so I'm hunting there, if you come after me then to bad for you.

Now in this situation it appears both parties are in the wrong by trying to claim a patch of public land as there own. The good thing is through all of the shenanigans they have probably scared every deer in the area over to some other hunter who sneaks in and out with his climber. Thats the great thing about public land, you canletall the other morons chase the deer to the areas you hunt.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of you guys really crack me up on how you turn things around, and twist topics. First I never said I was laying claim to this spot on state land. Next I never said nobody else could hunt this spot its mine ALL MINE, only mine!!!!!I only pointed out I've hunted this spot for the last 9yrs, and never seen another bowhunter in there.
My whole point is "I don't get some hunters." I don't get why a guy would want to paint tree's down through the woods marking a trail in & out of this area. Why would this person decide to mark a trail right under someone else's stand. Then why would this person want to setup his own personal stand in close proximity to anothers stand with a game camera right in front of their stand. Regardless of opinions here on whether stands should be left up in NY state woods or not. ( I still have yet to read anything on personal property on state lands with the exception of pertaining to camping. I've looked at looked on the DEC websight. If someone has it, please forward.). There's obvious reasons why most wouldn't want to put up a stand, and leave it near anothers. This guy is doing the same exact thing I am, only doing it near somebody else. Him nor I would have any clue when the other is in their stand. Plus I already spoke of leaving stands fresh, so all the shenanigans going on don't spook the deer away. I'm still trying to figure out what those are!
Heck, I believe Iwrote how I'm pulling this stand soon as I get back down, so the other guy can have the spot. I have no desire to hunt it anymore. Thats not my style. I have more respect forothers than that.I don't use other hunters stands, and I don't setup near others stands, no matter what property they inhabit. If I come across someone elses stand I simply move on to another spot. Way I see it that person did hishomework too, and put his stand in place before I could. Its first come first serve, and I have nodesire to hunt near someone elses setup. I think its wrong to disturb it, they have just as much right to it as I do. But why be so greedy, and disrepsectful to think screw them its public land I have a right to hunt here too, and throw astand up, and hunt there. I don't get that logic at all. Thats the same logic this guy was apparently using! There's plenty of public land to use. I also acknowledged I'd much rather see a stand up, and know someone else is hunting that spot. Than to throw mine up, be hunting, and someone walks in to hunt the same spot.I'drather know where others are hunting, so I don'tdisturb them or they disturb me. I enjoy seeing deer, and critters while bowhunting. Not other hunters!

Quick Reply: I just don't get some hunters!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.