Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 I just don't get some hunters! >

I just don't get some hunters!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I just don't get some hunters!

Old 10-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I just don't get some hunters!

well, here i go on this topic..i was raised a hunter and to respect others in woods..those days and hunters like me are now FOSSILS..here is my story..

i have hunted this STATEFORESTLAND here in 2g for 50 years..my dad started me in this area..been hunting their ever chance i get..we never had to be concerned about other hunters and lots of room..not anymore..

2 incidents last year.. new jersey hunters are buying camps in area..they have no respect for your stands or how long you have been hunting in this area..on sunday before buck season last yearme andkids were walking up hollow topick our usual spot to hunt.. 2 new jersey hunters stopped us on path and said,WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING?i said up to get our spot ready for first day..they said,OH NO, WE WERE HERE FIRST AND HAVE 6 STANDS UP ALL OVER MOUNTAIN..

THAT WAS 1 INCIDENT..now, next, they will not let anyone hunt within 150 yds of their camps,yet they do.. i know law says they can do this..

they chased me out of this area because i was 140 yds away from camp..i said, HEY WHO HAS TREESTAND HERE WITH STEPS DRILLED INTO LIVE TREES..they said, NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, GET OFF THIS STATELAND BEFORE WE CALL GAME WARDEN..

so, on stateforestlands here in pa,there is no respect or sportsmanship with most hunters..i did not imply that nj hunters are ALL like this but most i incounter are like this..

here is best part, they LEAVE their stands in woods all year on stateforestland so they can say its their spot, not yours..they put cameras up 15ft on tree so they can take your picture if anyone damages their stand..

we were walking into our area to hunt in the dark and flashbulbs were going off all over..

i know feeling when your hunting area is overrun with these people but there is nothing you can do because it is state forestland..

years ago hunters would tear stands down which would send signal to these disrespectful people that they are not being a sportsmen..

so, only advice i can give you is, put your stand right next to them where you have hunted all your life and sit and wave at them all day.. give up a big burp, cut a loud fart and cough a lot all day..

i think that should do trick and they wont return..

Old 10-22-2006, 11:09 AM

i looked for the rule on treestands on public land too but couldnt find it but i do remember them telling me when i went for my hunters ed course that you couldnt leave them in there
Old 10-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: boomer0878

i looked for the rule on treestands on public land too but couldnt find it but i do remember them telling me when i went for my hunters ed course that you couldnt leave them in there
most of state people i talk to say as long as its not damagingtree and you remove it when not being used or by end of hunting, is ok.. BUT,when gov rendell gets all deer gone,he will give the DCNR approval to tighten things up..

that means no leaving stand in woods,which will mean that ladder stands will be hard to use..already the treestand co. know this..

they are coming out with ladder stands you can set-up and move easy..

treestands are getting out of hand,i dont like idea of having to pack my ladder stand out daily,but i see it coming..
Old 10-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kevin 1, agree on public land first come, first serve. I was there first, so must be it doesn't apply to this guy!
Sproulman, man my situations minor compared to the crap your dealing with! Have you called the authorities on them for damaging trees, and trying to prevent others from hunting public woods?

Update on my spot. I only hunt it on wknds, and I'm guessing this guys in there during the wk. I was down there this wknd, and planned on removing thestand, and trail camera. Well like a dummy I forgot my padlock keys. So I just removed my trail camera. I also noticed the apple trees arealmost bare, and none left on the ground. So the spots pretty much done anyways. I looked over his setup, he's 20yds from my camera, not my stand. But still he had to see my camera, its right in plan view of his stand. I'm sure I have a few pics of him too. The guys obviously a moron!
Old 10-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

Kevin 1, agree on public land first come, first serve. I was there first, so must be it doesn't apply to this guy!
Sproulman, man my situations minor compared to the crap your dealing with! Have you called the authorities on them for damaging trees, and trying to prevent others from hunting public woods?

Update on my spot. I only hunt it on wknds, and I'm guessing this guys in there during the wk. I was down there this wknd, and planned on removing thestand, and trail camera. Well like a dummy I forgot my padlock keys. So I just removed my trail camera. I also noticed the apple trees arealmost bare, and none left on the ground. So the spots pretty much done anyways. I looked over his setup, he's 20yds from my camera, not my stand. But still he had to see my camera, its right in plan view of his stand. I'm sure I have a few pics of him too. The guys obviously a moron!
buckalley,that guy knows more about you than you most likely you think..i have people on my privateland hunting without permiission..here is a story on this..

i dont kill doe on my land as of 4 years ago do to rendell/dcnr slaughter..i was up in my treestand at early light hoping for a shot at a buck i had that was real nice.. i looked over 40 yds and there was a guy in the tree..this was during week..

well, i climbed down and went over..i said, excuse me,you know you are on my land..he said, yes, thank you for letting me hunt here..i said .buddy i dont know you..he said, i got permission from barney google to hunt on here..i said,barney sold this land 25 years ago and died about 10 years ago..he said, oh , i did not know that..he looked about 30 years old..

well, i said get your stand and your barney google off my land..this is latest trick when they get caught..they say someone who owned land before you gave them permmission to hunt on here even if that person is dead..

i used to let anyone that asked to hunt on my land..agreement was NO DOE KILLING..well, they thought i was working and shot 7 of my doe 4 years ago.. that was it..

now posted..hunters are getting desperate now for MEAT..you should see the treestands on publicland that surrounds my property..if deer sticks her head outside my posters, they are history..

its sad its getting to this situation..fun we used to have hunting deer,great time we all had..

i am spending a lot of time trying to protect my doe,i am getting tired and cant afford fence around property..i have to go out at night on/off to let poachers know i am out there watching..poachers and tresspassers are after meat..

oh well, sorry i got winded..
Old 10-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sproulman, is all this crap your going through a result of PA's antler restrictions, and major doe kill off? Has it made other hunters that desperate to get a deer, they are willing to play trepass games, and threaten others on public land.
NY is doing pilot projects in certain units for antler restrictions. If this is what it'll lead too its nothing I would want. I've heard horror stories of states like Illinois on private property, and places to hunt.
We had a few problems with trepassers the first couple yrs owned the piece we bought. Several complaining had hunted it for yrs. Well I know how they feel, been in their shoes. But they could've bought it just as easily. I had hunters telling me I was posting land illegally, it was public land. Wouldn't leave until I took their back tag #'s, and went to call authories. Once they realized we were serious its backed down alot.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:12 PM

I read a post over at huntigpa.com that said a guy named buckslayer was trying to pick a fight with someone for killing his buck. Best part about the story is this buckslayer charicter dosnt even own the property where the buck was killed.He called the buck last year and even tried to give $1000 to hunt him and the guy told him, NO money was needed. Now this buckslayer is flaming these guys for them taking one of there own friends out on there own property,and the friend getting this buck.

What give someone the idea that they can tell you, when/who/how to hunt your own land?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:25 PM

I hunt all public land in PA where it is illegal to leave your stand out. I get irritated when people leave a stand up in the woods claiming the spot for weeks on end and only hunt it for few days. I bring my stand out every day unless I'm hunting it the next day I hunt from dark til dark so theres no way I'm going hog the spot so nobody else can hunt it. Wouldn't you be angry if you hiked in an hour and the honey hole you found earlier in the season had a stand up with nobody in it? Private land is totally different. Public land you don't own and can't claim.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly Ch103 if I had scouted out a spot, went in to hang a stand, and found somebody elses there. This has happened many, many times to me before on both public, and private. Yes I'd be disappointed. But no way would I hang my stand close to his. Whether it was legal or illegal. I still would have the respect that someone else is hunting it. How do I know when this guy scouted out this land. Maybe he found it last gun season, and planned to bowhunt it this yr. I found it 9yrs ago, but that really wouldn't matter. I'd still go else where if he was in there first. This guy painted tree's right by my stand, and game camera. Then he hung his stand 20yds in clear view of my camera.You think thats ok?? Do you do that sort of thing?Plus I wouldn't want to hunt a spot someone else is just becasue you'd never know when that person will be on stand when you go in. I don't like bumping other hunters. So actually knowing where others stands are in the woods, helps me to stay out of spots they've selected. I'm also a firm believer in not over hunting a spot, so hunting a spot someone else is would also effect that. I like to hunt setups, that are as free of human oder as possible. I usually only hunt a setup 1x a wk., and when the winds right for it. How do I know what the guys doing. Thats why I'm pulling it next time I'm down. Even though he took over the spot on me, I'm letting him have it if its that important to him. Its not that important to me. It just pisses me off, becasue I'd never done that to him no matter who he is. I have more respect for others than that.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Continue to hunt it as you have been till you see the guy. Maybe he really doesnt have a clue. The painted trees imply that this guy is inexperienced at least. I remember one opening day of rifle season, my son andI were in a treestand and a guy walked in and sat down 40 yards away. I stewed for awhile and finally got down and went over to talk to him. Turned out he never even saw us, it was his second time hunting and he really had no clue that he was too close. He apologized and I guided him to another decent spot nearby that was also a good spot but didnt interfere with ny son and I. He thanked me for the help and left happy.

When you run into him, try to reason with him and if that doesnt work, move your stand 10 yards away facing right at him. He'll get the message.

Quick Reply: I just don't get some hunters!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.