Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 I'm so sick I could puke. It's one of "those" nights! >

I'm so sick I could puke. It's one of "those" nights!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I'm so sick I could puke. It's one of "those" nights!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm so sick I could puke. It's one of "those" nights!

Very little blood though. It has the faintest hint of the famed gut smell. I have more white than brown hairs on the arrow. None of the blades are broken, meaning it didn't meet bone. I'm trying to determine if I've got anystomach/gut content on the shaft, but I can't convince myself either way. It clearly has what looks to be dried fat residue on the shaft on the last half. The front half of the arrow has little blood, and little anything on it.
This is what I'm basing my previous opinion on, and past experience.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

After searching for four hours, the deer was not recovered. The impact site only had white hairs, no blood. I went to the corn field, and could not find his point of entry.

A neighbor and my step father came out and they immediately found the path. They found blood, and we then tracked the deer through the corn field with 2-3 drops every 5-10 feet. Bright red blood, still not dry.

We worked it for 400 yards with the deer constantly moving. Once we reached the hedgerow of that field it took a turn, and we did find where the buck stopped, an easy 500-600 yards away from the shot location. It did not lay down, as the blood had droplet indications. This spot had enough blood that two or three of these in a row would have made me feel much better. However, after that...nothing. No trailing off of the blood, just abrupt stoppage.

We were able to track the bucks steps (his hoof print was almost a full5 inch track), but no blood after that. We lost his track about 700 yards from the impact spot.

Now, the large blood spot was an easy two to three full vials of blood, covered the area of a coffee can. Dark red blood, with bright red blood on the edges. We spent over two hours at this spot attempting to find more sign, but to no avail. The wound had to have closed up at the point where he stood for a while.

The blood was coming from an exit wound, as this buck stayed within one row of corn, and all of the sign was on what would be the deer's right side.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Phade, so whats the plan now. You going to look any further, call deer search, or think its a wasted cause? I'm not there to see exactly what the sign is, but 4hrs doesn't seem that long to me. I've certainly tracked deer alot longer, and usually looked over 2 days for a wounded deer. Some recovered some not. I'm not judging you in anyway, so don't take me wrong there.1 suggestion is did you make sure at the spot you lost last blood he didn't backtrack. Every deer in the southern tier we've had to track thus far over the last 8yrs has ALWAYS done a major backtrack path at least 1x. It usually stumped us for several hrs until found blood again. Sometimes not for least 100yds. I don't know why, but they always seem to turn back. I have yet to see a hit deer that hasn't backtracked in the direction it came from. Just a idea for ya. Most of us have been in your shoes, so we know what your going through man, hang tough don't let it get you down.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

Phade, so whats the plan now. You going to look any further, call deer search, or think its a wasted cause? I'm not there to see exactly what the sign is, but 4hrs doesn't seem that long to me. I've certainly tracked deer alot longer, and usually looked over 2 days for a wounded deer. Some recovered some not. I'm not judging you in anyway, so don't take me wrong there.1 suggestion is did you make sure at the spot you lost last blood he didn't backtrack. Every deer in the southern tier we've had to track thus far over the last 8yrs has ALWAYS done a major backtrack path at least 1x. It usually stumped us for several hrs until found blood again. Sometimes not for least 100yds. I don't know why, but they always seem to turn back. I have yet to see a hit deer that hasn't backtracked in the direction it came from. Just a idea for ya. Most of us have been in your shoes, so we know what your going through man, hang tough don't let it get you down.
We looked around for back track signs. This single blood spot was at the joint of another hedgerow in the field. We were able to positively track him for 100 more yards after that spot, with no blood droplets at all. That, coupled with the fact that the deer obviously never laid down once in over 700 yards from the shot site pointed to the likelihood he is going to make it through. He hung up at the edgein the woods, but we're convinced he never laid down... so I'msure he will not expire.

It also is pretty apparent he joined up with two other deer at some point halfway through the corn field. They were both smaller tracks.

Only a two or three drops of blood right at the edge of the woods. The corn aided in us being able to track him with only a drop or two for so long. Once he got to the end of the field, he walked the hedgerow, where we found the last blood sign.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:03 PM

I would get a few guys for help or even just yourself and do either a circle seacrch or grid search of the area. Make small circles and gradually god biggeer till you out a hundred yards or so. I been there where you are, tough to give up, hell one time I found someone else's wounded buck. Gut shot he would head to water.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: setter77

I would get a few guys for help or even just yourself and do either a circle seacrch or grid search of the area. Make small circles and gradually god biggeer till you out a hundred yards or so. I been there where you are, tough to give up, hell one time I found someone else's wounded buck. Gut shot he would head to water.
With three of us, we used the circle search method. There's water everywhere. Most of the field has standing water in it, until you get to the last ten rows on every side.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:56 PM

dark red? could it be liver shot at all? I shot a doe last year that bleed good for 50 yards, stopped and would have died there. I gave her a half hour and jumped her. There was a puddle of blood and then nothing for 250 yards. Started grid searching the area and found her on my last ditch effort.....
Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remember, blood will turn dark after being in the air for several hours. I would let it go today and grid search tomorrow, starting at the spot where the buck was originally shot. I can't tell you how many times I've heard of deer coming back to the spot where they were shot, and dying there.
I still think there is a good possibility that the deer will recover, based on the fact that it is not bedding because of it's wounds.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Remember, blood will turn dark after being in the air for several hours. I would let it go today and grid search tomorrow, starting at the spot where the buck was originally shot. I can't tell you how many times I've heard of deer coming back to the spot where they were shot, and dying there.
I still think there is a good possibility that the deer will recover, based on the fact that it is not bedding because of it's wounds.
That is what has me convinced it will survive. I couldn't imagine that deer moving 700 yards from impact without ever bedding down, and still be fatally wounded.

I lost the track almost parallel to the woodlot on the opposite side of the field. I tried to find if it made the turn to head back to it's bedding area. The buck had been bedded roughly 100 yards from the stand.

I started at the impact site this morning, and jumped a doe 20 yards from the same stand. When it rains, it pours. I'd be much less nauseated if I missed clean.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

phade go back to hunting you might just get another shot at this deer but becareful as I'm sure he got a little smarter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.