Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Any WV bowhunters... >

Any WV bowhunters...

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any WV bowhunters...

Old 11-09-2006, 07:16 AM

Default RE: Any WV bowhunters...

ORIGINAL: Rem1100

ORIGINAL: DougMD

My perfect weather is 40 degrees, crunchy leaves, and almost still, but not too still. Zero wind means any noise you make is amplified. I'm heading out here soon myself.
well Bro... you ain't gonna like the forcast then.,... WARM!!! yeah... it costs to heat the house, you know... also looks wet for the latter part of next week.... somethin' tells me we're gonna have a soggy opener on Monday....and warm.
whats new...its been bad weather the last few years for opening morning
Old 11-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: getblown5.9

My perfect weather is 40 degrees, crunchy leaves, and almost still, but not too still. Zero wind means any noise you make is amplified. I'm heading out here soon myself.
well Bro... you ain't gonna like the forcast then.,... WARM!!! yeah... it costs to heat the house, you know... also looks wet for the latter part of next week.... somethin' tells me we're gonna have a soggy opener on Monday....and warm.
whats new...its been bad weather the last few years for opening morning
I hear that.... 60s and rain isn't exactly what I'd call "good"...
Old 11-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I'm out of the loop or soemthing, but what is "opening" on Monday???

thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

Maybe I'm out of the loop or soemthing, but what is "opening" on Monday???

thanks
Buck season opens week from this Mon... the forcast calls for rain 5/7 days next week, with more possible Sun into opening Morn...temps... upper 50s... but I ain't gonna moan too much, it takes $$$$$ to heat this Stucco house!!

Old 11-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone hunting WMA's this year? I did an afternoon/evening hunt at Chief Cornstalk in Mason County today and saw the best buck I've see all season. A real nice 8 pointer crossed a ravine about 35 yards below my stand and he ignored all the calls I made to try to get him to stop. Shortly after he left I spotted another deer coming from the same direction. Turns out to be a spike and he bedded down abot 70 yards from my stand. I watcked him for 2 hours and 50 yards is as close as he would come. At the same time I'm watching him, 2 does pass within 20 yards of my stand. Just before dark I had 3 more does to pass by at 30 yards. It's been several years since I've hunted this area but I think I'm going back tomorrow because of all the deer I saw today. I just have to wait and see what this rain is gonna do. The only drawback to hunting this area is it is hard to get to and is about a 45 minute hike up a hill and across the ridge. Back in my younger days I hunted this area extensively and have killed several deer there. A 2 1/2 hour drag is not uncommon. Kinda makes you a bit more selective on the deer you kill......lol. Wish me luck. Good Luck to all my fellow West Virginians out there.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well...I'm just now getting a chance to tell ya about last weekend. I bowhunted hunted Fri and Sat...about 9hrs on Fri and about 5 hrs on sat.

Friday morning, I saw 11 deer from my stand. Seven were within bow range, including one fat wide 6 point, which I elected to take. The only problem is that the branch that was in the way elected to grab my arrow on the way to the deer, so he left unscathed. I never saw the branch, and it was about 2" in diameter. The arrow stuck in it right in front of the deer. I did see 3 bucks that morning.

Friday evening, I saw 8 deer from my stand, 5 within bow range. Nothing too good....one small 6, and another 4pt. The rest were does.

Sat morn, I had a big fat doe coming right at me, and I was going to shoot her. She got to about 40yds, and turned down the hill. She proceded to go out of range...never to be seen again. I sawa couple more deer, but nothing to speak of.

Sat evening I killed my limit of squirrels.....

Long story short........I saw deer, could have taken some, but chose not to. Heck, I have 3 in the freezer already, it's time to be choosy!

Good hunting!
Old 11-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fri night, 4 of us sweating in T shirts just standing there, as it was literally 78 degrees when we went to our stands. Nobody saw a deer.

Saturday morning, 57 degrees, I didn't see any, but the others saw a few bucks and does.

Yesterday afternoon, went out thinking the front drop the temperatures before it got dark. No such luck, two of us and neither saw a deer. I should have just taken my .22 and went squirrel hunting this weekend, orspent time with the kids and not hunted at all.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:46 AM

Mingo county here..... Not alot of movement but some promising signs.... Supposed to be about 34 degrees in the morning so maybe they will be moving... Update you later with the happenings.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fri night, 4 of us sweating in T shirts just standing there, as it was literally 78 degrees when we went to our stands. Nobody saw a deer.

Saturday morning, 57 degrees, I didn't see any, but the others saw a few bucks and does.

Yesterday afternoon, went out thinking the front drop the temperatures before it got dark. No such luck, two of us and neither saw a deer. I should have just taken my .22 and went squirrel hunting this weekend, orspent time with the kids and not hunted at all.
EXACTLY what I did,Bro!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:32 PM

weather changed for the opener of WV rifle next week. looking to be in the mid 40's early on in the week with possible snow showers! i cant wait now.

i hunted saturday til 11, its just not right when you sit from 6-11a.m. and not one time feel an ounce of cold in the toes or fingers. i get cold anytime its below 40, bearable and not enough to make me shiver, but i get cold regardless. didnt see a thing, my neighbors son got his first deer, a little doe on the youth hunt just 80 yards from where i was bowhunting/watching for deer headed their way (i was in a stand, they were on the ground)

my other buddy hunted the other side of the property and saw two GOOD bucks at about 10:30 chasing does and each other...but never came within bowrange for him.

Quick Reply: Any WV bowhunters...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.