Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY hunters question >

NY hunters question

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY hunters question

Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default NY hunters question

for 3C & 3J:
howare the deer looking this year. I know it has only been one year but I havn'tseen anything yet about deer sightings.

Also a question for all NY hunters would you rather have a
1 buck/year
AR 3pts/side or
leave everything alone
Old 10-10-2006, 08:48 AM

Default RE: NY hunters question

I'r prefer ARs
Old 10-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Until someone can show me how it makes sense to target the 60% of the YOUNG 1 1/2 year old bucks having 3 per side, I will have to say leave alone or 1 buck where pop is lower.

Steve
Old 10-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I like the antler restrictions. I hunt a zone in NJ which has had them for years, and I see mature bucks that show true rutting characteristics. In 20 years of hunting NY, I have never seen that. Almost every buck is tiny in the south-eastern part of the state and if one survives 2 1/2years, you have the local "monster" on your hands! Its sad because there is a lot of good deer land in that region.

Rattling, grunting, and scents work great in the zone I hunt in Jersey because there are enough mature bucks to encite competition during the rut. In the 3 zones in NY, you are lucky to see one buck a year, on opening day, with 3" spikes. Usually you'll find some jackasses celebrating over that in the hotel parking lot.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually you'll find some jackasses celebrating over that in the hotel parking lot.
They have their nerve shooting a legal animal that they enjoyed hunting and not helping making it easy forthe trophy hunter to bag his bragging rights.

AR equals trophy mangement - and each area is unique to its needs.

Steve
Old 10-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

It's just a shame to watch, when all you have to do is pop over the border to NJ and go after an animal which is older and wiser, meaning harder to harvest, and much more of a prize when you do, both mentally and in physical appearance.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never really had a big stance on the whole AR thing. But, to me, I'd just assume leave things as is. We can weait and see how it works in the test areas. And like Steve says, I am not sure the 3 pt/side is the way to go either (maybe spread or more points on both sides). As far as I am concerned, I am just as happy with things as is. I have no problem shooting a spike, 5 pt, 8 pt, or a wallhanger. I just like to hunt, shoot, and eat deer.

As far as the one buck thing, that is another story. I think that idea is absolutely ridiculous. I buy my lisences to hunt deer. My tags entitle me to take 2 buck. Who is anybody to tell me that I can only take one? (more than likely they are hunters that only hunt with a rifle/shotgun)And in the big sceem of things, what does it really matter. Bucks have "nothing"to do with herd management. Doe are the key to controling deer numbers and buck/doe ratios. I hear a lot of people say they don't/won't shoot doe, but will take as many buck that come along (groups of hunters). Then they complain that they have small deer with small racks - because there are too many deer. Oh, and by the way, in 17 years of hunting, I have taken 2 buck all of2-3 times, but I am more than happy to buy thetags for the opportunity to take 2 buck(and 1 or more doe) if I am so lucky.

my 2 1/2 cents
Old 10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

As far as the one buck thing, that is another story. I think that idea is absolutely ridiculous. I buy my lisences to hunt deer. My tags entitle me to take 2 buck. Who is anybody to tell me that I can only take one?
If you think about it, it's not another story. It's the same principle, premise, etc.

Who is anybody to tell you that you can'tharvest that spike, fork, or 10 pointer? I valued the 5 point buck I shot last season with my bow just as much as the very first deer I ever bagged (my biggest buck to date).

A/R is a two-fold question on biology, and hunter ethics/sport tradition. I spent many, many hours researching AR. There's legit basis points on each side. Personally, I hit a roadblock at the ethics. Who am I to say to any other hunter that they can't or shouldn't harvest a nice forkhorn (or any other deer for that matter). All I know is that I'm not above anyone else to play GOD, and shame them for an experience they value.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Airborneguy

It's just a shame to watch, when all you have to do is pop over the border to NJ and go after an animal which is older and wiser, meaning harder to harvest, and much more of a prize when you do, both mentally and in physical appearance.
I understand your personal opinion. There is no question to that.

However, there are just as many people who value EVERY deer they take regardless of size, age, status. Just because, an older/wiser buck is out in my woods, and I come across a smaller buck that presents an opportunity for me to be successful...does that mean I value that smaller buck less?

Simple answer: No.

You seem to bash NY a ton. Is NJ the next Texas? Why don't you stay in NJ and hunt then, if it is so good? (actual honest question).

NY has plenty of great hunting. In fact, several areas are well-known to be some of the best whitetail destinations in the entire country for P&Y and B&C monsters. Why you make it seem like NY is a wasteland in regards to deer hunting is a mystery to me.

Quaker Boy, Whitetail Institute, Mossy Oak Biologic, North Country Whitetails, QDMA, Charles Alsheimer's famed deer enclosure....what do they have in common?

Answer: Deer hunting....and NY.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: pjarrows

for 3C & 3J:
howare the deer looking this year. I know it has only been one year but I havn'tseen anything yet about deer sightings.

Also a question for all NY hunters would you rather have a
1 buck/year
AR 3pts/side or
leave everything alone
3C and 3J suffered the expected big decline in antlered deer harvests last season. The DEC expects a slight recovery this year, but it is not likely they will return to numbers prior to the AR implementation. After this season, the DEC is hopeful harvest numbers will be similar to pre-AR.

Essentially, this version of AR is on a 3-year track.

Quick Reply: NY hunters question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.