Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Elk Hunting

Old 09-27-2006, 07:11 AM

Default PA Elk Hunting

Has anyone drawn or hunted elk here in PA before? I got lucky and drew a cow tag this year but to say the least I am unprepared. I drew zones 1,2,3 &10. Any tips on where to start looking for elk in those areas?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:04 AM

Default RE: PA Elk Hunting

hmm i thought you could only get drawn for one zone.

First you should probably contact the PGC to find out what info they have available. They should be able to provide you with a list of open hunting grounds within the zone and they also have a list of approved guides.

Too bad you didnt get zone 2, i could have pointed you in the direction of my deer stand. I see elk from it almost every year.

Good Luck!!
Joe
Old 09-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

This may help, click on the map. Good luck, get a big cow.
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=471&q=161493
Old 09-27-2006, 06:16 PM

Setter, congrats! I drew a bull tag last year in area 9 which is the only area I scouted. Not to discount this site, but there is a lot of PA Elk talk on huntingpa.com.
How close to the elk range are you? If you can get up there and put some time in, you can save on the cost of a guide. One issue is that most of the private land in your hunting zones are tied up by guides.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:53 PM

Bowtech Joe I did draw in zone 2.

Live here in Harrisburg area, so not too bad to drive up and scout some. Was figuring I pretty much had to count on hunting the public land, I know some landowners are not big on the elk but still have heard it is tough to get on private ground. I want to do it myself, without a guide.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: setter77

Has anyone drawn or hunted elk here in PA before? I got lucky and drew a cow tag this year but to say the least I am unprepared. I drew zones 1,2,3 &10. Any tips on where to start looking for elk in those areas?
You got the zone with what I believe to be the best areas for harvesting an elk. Zones 2 and 10 both have a lot of public land and you shouldn’t have any trouble finding areas with a lot of elk sign if you get the time to do a little scouting.

I would start out by checking the areas of Game Lands 311 down Porcupine Road to the left at the game lands gate or by going down to the bridge, cross the bridge and then go up the road to the left about a half mile or so and you will be able to see across toward some food plots on the game lands. That entire area would be good.

I would also check out the game lands off to the left when going up over the hill on the lower end of the Gray Hill Road, the double gate area below the old Gilbert Farm, near where they are stripping, all the way down Porcupine and Dents Run or just about any of the area between Dents Run and the elk viewing area will have a good supply of elk.

There are lots of excellent public hunting areas in those units where you should be able to find an elk without the need for a guide provided you do some scouting and have even a small amount of good luck. Getting it out without a guide of some darn good friends or family members on hand though is another story.

Just make sure you don’t get into the “No Hunt Area” around the viewing area.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Dick Bodenhorn

Old 08-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Spike

Default Pa Cow elk tag Zone 3

Hello, new to this so be patient. I have drawn a cow tag for zone 3 and need advice. I am looking to figure out if I need a guide or not and for any advice I can find. I live about 4 hrs. away in NE PA and between kids and work schedules it is very tight for time and money. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Dick, when did you sneak in here?
Old 08-26-2016, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

This thread is 10 years old.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really have to start looking at dates of these threads. PA just drew for tags on the 20th so the post was timely. Sadly, this is the 15th year I didn't get drawn.

Quick Reply: PA Elk Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.