Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Scrapes already? >

Scrapes already?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Scrapes already?

Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 AM

Default Scrapes already?

Over this last weekend, I went in for one last scouting trip before the PA opener next saturday. Its an area I've been watching for about a month now, and I've seen several bucks.. Including at least one nice eight point and a ten.
During my trip I found several small rubs along a trail a little further down I found a small scrape and about 60 yrds past that I found a big rub.
Do you guys think that this much early sign in normal? Or do I possibly have a agressive buck in the area?

Thanks,
Old 09-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scrapes already?

I think you have two evenly matched bucks in your area. I had this last year and walked up on two bucks fighting very aggressively on the first day of the season. I could not believe it. There was also a scrape on the trail very near that. I think you better let me come hunt there with you, OK? I'm not sure you should be in there all alone...very dangerous!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:33 AM

I too saw several scrapes this past weekend while scouting? I did not see many ribs though, but 3 or 4 scrapes in different areas. What would happen if I took my Code Blue estrous scent with me this week and dribbled a few drops on the scrape? and made a mock scrape near it? Our season opens the 14th of October.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:30 AM

I hope its a very dangerous situation (for them). The only thing is I have I have seen these two bucks together a couple times, (even as of last week) but I have not seen any agression.
However, I have heard that a real brusier has been seen there as well. I just hanvn't seen him yet.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:42 PM

sounds like your season is going to be great.. good luck
Old 10-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I too have seen a few scrapes. These appeared to be only half heartedly made and not the ones you see really dug up closer to the rut. I guess that is because the does couldn't care less yet about these scrapes. You know how finicky women can be.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I came across one yesterday and it wasn't half heartedly made here. It looked like probably a young buck trying things out though. We have to look them over carefully as moose are rutting now.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is nothing strange about finding early scrapes, I see them every year. It's common.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing yet in my woods. I saw two young bucks following a doe and two fawns on Thursday evening. I have seen alot of young bucks along the road recently. I saw a scrape on first day last year.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

i went for a walk today, found lots of rubs and 4 scrapes. i took a pic of this one, the leaves were dropping so i knew he didnt hit it in a day or two. so after i took the pic i walked about 10yrds and caught movement, and it was a buck walking right to me and the scrape. it ended up being a pretty nice 8pt w/ a droptine. i plan on being there tomorrow morning.
this scrape was 3 times the size of the others ive seen and the branch above was really worked over.

Quick Reply: Scrapes already?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.