Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 How many Archers will plege to pass on BB? >

How many Archers will plege to pass on BB?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How many Archers will plege to pass on BB?

Old 09-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many Archers will plege to pass on BB?

man..i have let bucks walk that are 6 and under...basket racks...wont shoot them. as i result i hit alot of does, but it works for me. killing a buck doesnt matter to me if its not a trophy...why waste the time on a young animal?? plenty on does out there and u may see that buck next year..wishful thinking i guess, but it has worked
Old 09-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i let every single button head pass..... i dont shoot far at doe , so i like to let em get in close and really make sure its a good one to take.... i have made the mistake when i was first starting , but i guess i grew up...
Old 09-25-2006, 01:54 AM
Spike

I try not to shoot any yearling deer wether it be a buck or doe. There are plenty of mature deer out there now anyway. Why use your tag on a 40lb deer when you can shoot a 100lb doe. I have made the mistake before but only in fading light. Usually followed by the horrable cry before they expire. I will never forget that noise, if you have heard it you know what I mean. I shot a button buck a few years back in january that had shed his buttons and he looked like adecent doe at 100yds. He dressed at 70+lbs. I couldnt beleive he was a button buck. He would have been a bruiser for sure.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

I will not shoot a BB with my bow and I will try hard not to shoot one with my shotgun too.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

I will make that plege
Old 09-25-2006, 08:28 AM

I look hard with 8x binos......i will not shoot one if i see it
Old 09-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

It's pretty difficult for an archer to "accidentally" shoot a button buck and not know what he's is doing. Besides those nubs, a button buck isoften the bigger of two fawns when encountered in archery season. they also often have amore muscular neck. Other than a fairly new and inexperienced, any button buck shot by an archer is either intentional or an act of indifference. I'll let the other archers speak for them selves bu they're in no danger near me
1st off I've passed on many BB's, I was hiding behind a hay bale in a weed field next to a green soybean field. Watched a lone deer work my way. Got there right at last shooting light, I made a good shot a recovered my deer, a BB. It was neither a lack of experience or indifference. I honestly thought it was a decent doe. (weighed about 90 lbs dressed)I was a little bummed when I saw it's nubs, but happy and thankful for the deer. So it can "accidentally" happen, I hope you never make a "mistake", oh great one.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try not to shoot any yearling deer wether it be a buck or doe.
A button buck is of course a fawn, not a yearling.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DUMB BASS

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

It's pretty difficult for an archer to "accidentally" shoot a button buck and not know what he's is doing. Besides those nubs, a button buck isoften the bigger of two fawns when encountered in archery season. they also often have amore muscular neck. Other than a fairly new and inexperienced, any button buck shot by an archer is either intentional or an act of indifference. I'll let the other archers speak for them selves bu they're in no danger near me
1st off I've passed on many BB's, I was hiding behind a hay bale in a weed field next to a green soybean field. Watched a lone deer work my way. Got there right at last shooting light, I made a good shot a recovered my deer, a BB. It was neither a lack of experience or indifference. I honestly thought it was a decent doe. (weighed about 90 lbs dressed)I was a little bummed when I saw it's nubs, but happy and thankful for the deer. So it can "accidentally" happen, I hope you never make a "mistake", oh great one.

Sorry you took my words personally. It wasnt meant quite the way It seems you took it. I said difficult not impossible. the point that I was trying to make is that there are other signs other than those nubs on the head. Button bucks are generally bigger than their sisters and we often see fawns in the family group especially in bow season, Button bucks also very often have a larger more muscular neck. I often look at that before I even have a chance to see the head. If you look at the other thread regarding passing up BB's I related a situation where I shot one with a muzzleloader.

No offense was meant to any hunter who tries their best not to shoot BB's. If my words were ill chosen, I apologize. We are all human and sometimes make mistakes. Your story proves just that. Next time you are able to observe a BB up close, look carefully at the other differences. Maybe it might help prevent the type of accident we all want to prevent.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 AM

well i hunt a farm that i need to kill all deer cause there are so many that are hurting the guys crops.. but i have been hunting it for 2 yrs now this being my 3rd and i have not kills a BB yet and don't plan to.. and i hope the yr after there too small for me to kill i like waiting untill there older... i have only taken 3 doe from the property.. but have seen some huge deer that i can't get close to.

Quick Reply: How many Archers will plege to pass on BB?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.