Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

This years rut?

Old 09-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: This years rut?

The chashing should start about the 7th and actual breeding occuring around the 14th according to Charles Alsheimer.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Spike

The Action always starts around here right around Halloween.
Good luck.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

I've talked to people in my area and they too said basically what VT Ridges says. I think our rut is a bit later than everyone elses. A guy I spoke to that has been hunting the northern area of NY (watertown, tug hill and such) says the deer usually do it a week or two later than other places. Why would this be?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: doman

The Action always starts around here right around Halloween.
Good luck.
I'll go along with that. My Dad always says that some of the biggest bucksget hit by cars on Halloween.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

I'm taking November 9 and 10 off for a 4 day weekend. Hopefully they'll be ready at that time.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:01 AM

I am taking that week of Nov 6-10 off too. Charlie Alshheimer (sp) said that the 7th and 8th will probably be the best days....and totake your vacation around those days. I had originally planned on taking the previous week, be changed it after I saw that D&DH episode with Charlie.

Is it october yet!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

He is the expert, and he probably is right, but I think that will be the peak of the rut. If I had my druthers, I would hunt a few days prior to that myself. The bucks will be "seeking" or "trolling" for does then, and walking all over to locate them. They casually walk willy nilly through the woods then with their head in a fog. I have seen bucks at this time that have seen me and they walk through anyway, like they are totally unconcerned with my presence.
If you take the whole week off you should be good to go.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:14 AM

My experience in MD is that 4-6 yr old bucks do little trolling in the pre-rut. They will get up a little early go and do a visual and scent checks the fields. During the first 10 days or so of november, they are waiting for the does to come in heat. Its the 1-2 yr olds that do all the pre-rut trolling and pushing of does not in heat. Then the big boys lock down with the does. Around the 3rd week of november the big boys have had a taste and looking for more, they are not tired out and will get up for daylightstrolls to doe groups the are familiar with.

I know of several giant bucks killed in MD from the 18-30 of november while trolling. The one tough thing ive found is that while checking doe groups in daylight those old buck literally fly from one to another, taking unusual short cuts, often they will cross fields with wind at thier back because they can SEE with thier eyes. Then once in the woods they will turn and catch crosswinds to smell for does where the cannot see that well..
Old 09-22-2006, 08:24 AM

This year I am going to focus on what I have learned to be " breeding spots" on my farms. The are out of the way ravines, gullies, fencerows, etc. that are away from the main woods areas. My obs and those of farmers have led me to believe that in the peak rut that is where to hunt. Many times they may even be close to a house or road. They just dont want to be bothered by the little bucks or a bigger buck than them!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Typically up here the rut is in full swing around the 14th of November. Last year it run later as a result to warmer weather then usuall.
Good Luck hunting.

Quick Reply: This years rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.