Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 opening day in MD >

opening day in MD

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

opening day in MD

Old 09-16-2006, 08:16 PM

Default RE: opening day in MD

I went out yesterday afternoon and it was pretty much done raining. There were 4 of us on the property. I walked to my stand and found that mother nature had knocked my stand down. I walked about 200 yds back towards another stand where my buddy was posted up. He shota smaller buckin full velvet not more than 5 minutes after he got in the stand. We didn't find real good sign so he went back to the truck and I went in his stand. 20 minutes later I looked down and there was another buck in full velvet right below my stand. I started to draw and he looked right at me. I thought he was gone but he only ran about 3 yds. I turned around and his head was behind some brush. I put one right behind the shoulder and he took off. I heard him run for about 15 seconds. He ran about 100yds with both lungs taken out.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:24 PM

First day was pretty slow for me, saw a couple doe nothing close enough for a shot. Today was better, I took a doe this morning and passed up 4 bucks this evening, I saw another 7 deer that never came into range. It's great to be back in the woods seeing deer again.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:31 PM

jordan shoot me an email
Old 09-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went sika hunting in the morning and saw some hinds, no stags... then went whitetail hunting in the evening and got a doe. Posted this on the bowhunting forum, but here is a pic for the MD guys.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sweet! Congratulations.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Lefty26

First day was pretty slow for me, saw a couple doe nothing close enough for a shot. Today was better, I took a doe this morning and passed up 4 bucks this evening, I saw another 7 deer that never came into range. It's great to be back in the woods seeing deer again.
Congrats on your first this year, I'm sure its the first of many!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer. Good job with the picture, too!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to all those who have scored already!

The first two mornings were a bust, but I saw 9 on Saturday evening. I had a button buck directly under my stand that was getting nervous and kept the large doe from giving me a high percentage shot. I could've tried a 30 yard shot, but her positioning and the cover made it a low percentage shot, so I passed.

This morning, I could've taken a similar shot on another doe at a different farm. I passed on a couple shots that would probably have resulted in a dead deer, but I like high percentage shots and it looked like I was going to get a nice, clear shot . . . I was wrong.[:@] She evidently suspected something was up (no wind and high humidity) and she turned around to walk away. Again I passed the shot because a vine was centered in the vitals. Saw 3 or 4 others -- one was a small buck. The only shots I took was with my practice muzzy, and a field point before I got down. "Killed" the leaf with both arrows -- about 1/2" apart!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:29 AM

Bionicrooster,

Thats a good looking doe. The one I shot wasn't quite that big, I just like to get my 2 doe early so I have 2 buck tags available come rut. Do you hunt public land or private for those Sika's? I hunted with TJ at muddy marsh last year and took my first Sika. I want to go back but a guided hunt doesn't fit the budget this year. Is there decent public land where you have a good shot at seeing them?

Rob,

I sent you an email last night bud.

I have the evening available to hunt tonight but it's getting hot out there. I haven't decidedif I'm gonna go out, or go fishing instead. Those cooler temps they are forcasting for later in the week will be nice.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:26 PM

I went out to my friend's property on Friday morning and didn't see a thing. He saw a 4 pointer and several doe but they were all skittish. Every time a branch fell they would run around.

Went out to Meade in the afternoon and same thing. Didn't see anything except for a doe while I was driving back. When I checked out, I asked how many were taken and the guy told me "1". One freaking deer?! Over a thousand acres and a hundred hunters and only 1 deer all day on Friday. It wasn't a good day for me.

Congrats to everyone that did have a good day.

Quick Reply: opening day in MD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.