Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Elk

Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 PM

Default RE: PA Elk

The tag comes cheap. Ten bucks for the lottery. Where the real expense comes in is the cost of a guide. From what I understand the guides charge about $500. a day. Now you say you intend to hunt public. Well good, but a great many of the elk reside on private property. The guides have this land tied up and so you will more than likely have to employ a guide to get close enough for a shot.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't spend alot of time in these parts do you Crazy horse?Some of the units have alot of private land but anyone willing to work for an elk,can find them on public land in Pa.Most of the elk in pa are shot very close to roads,as evidenced by the fact that the vast majority of elk are brought in to the check station whole.A good wilderness style hunt is a huge opportunity for those hunters that draw a tag and it doesn't have to cost alot of money.People just have to be willing to work for it.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Host of Hosts

sent in for it every year that they accepted them and still no luck[&o]

It has only been 3 or 4 years since they started it. Even out west you can wait alot longer to hunt some states. I can't wait until they draw my name this year
Old 09-02-2006, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: DougE

I belong to that lease on the left side of the road headingtoward Rockton.Ihaven't been up there since spring gobbler season and I haven't heard anything about it.There's a meeting this sunday for it.I'll find out if anyone has been seeing any up there.Alot of the guys are up there all the time riding atv's so they should know if they're up there regularly.
I use to hunt that area for spring turks untill i found another place to hunt them...You paying 300 a year for that lease???Thats what the other side by the water treatment plant are charging,well about 2 years ago anyway...I thnk it was beers who was in charge of that property..Some old woman owns all that property and they are leasing it off her to pay her property taxes if I understood it correct..I think its 3000 acres she owns from what I heard..
Old 09-02-2006, 11:59 AM

Lastyear in PA i drew a cow Elk tag. I took a cow on the second 2 last day of the season she weight a little over 550lbs. A nd next time i go elk huntin i'm quarterin it out in the woods. Goin down the mountain was horrible with a cow elk.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats cowboy! was it a lot of fun or what? id like to hear about it.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I applied this year also( Bull Only). If I were lucky enough to get drawed, I'd get a guide.

Once in a lifetime thing, I want the best chance of getting a nice bull and it would be nice having the extra help getting it out.

Unless one of you kind gentlemen would like to guide me for free, LOL!

Old 09-04-2006, 09:30 PM

It was a blast to hunt elk in PA. It was my first time to ever hunt Elk. The year before i shot a bear then i shot an Elk. And i'm only 17. Here the link of every big game animal i took in PA. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=7233840&uid=3517591 P.S. if Any draw an Elk Tag i will guide for free i have a cabin in Driftwood PA. If i can get time off of school. Or give imformation where to find a big Bull or Cow. I'm up there every weekend.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:39 PM

And when huntin season come around everyone fight at huntin camp hunt with me. only reason is because i took albino doe and a big tom my first year huntin and a couple years after i took a bear and a cow. and every year i take a couple does with my flintlock. it's just because my lucky watch i own. Its a sheirk2 watch from Burgar King. it very lucky my dad took a big sow wearin it and then 2hr let when he gave it to me i took a boar and when ishot my elk i was wearin it. I never go huntin with out it.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

smokeman,That lease runs from the Rockton/Dubois road all the way to Orner's and the interstate.It's about 3100 acres if you add in the three other pieces that aren't adjacent to that property.There's 125 members and everyone pays $200/year.I pretty much just use it for turkey hunting.I never stepped fot on it last year during deer season.If it were up to me,it would still be open to the public.

At one time Chagrin land corporation owned it and they let anyone hunt their land.This other company bought it,cut most of the good timber and now they lease it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.