Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Sunset in NY law >

Sunset in NY law

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sunset in NY law

Old 01-14-2002, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sunset in NY law

I go into the woods flashlight in hand, and I leave the woods flashlight in hand. As long as I can see what I'm shooting, its dead.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Restricting all hunters to times that exclude the best hours of the day in the name of safety doesn't fly with me. The Idiot that would shoot without knowing what's beyond his target isn't going to be deterred by the fact that it's past legal shooting time. The current law is, however, an excuse for the Barney Fife type deputies out there to harass legitimate hunters. My apologies to the reasonable dedicated officers out there, we all know the type I'm talking about!
Old 01-14-2002, 10:09 AM

I'm not sure if it is a total safety issue because, once coyote season starts you can shoot em day and night, 24, 7. Granted, there are more deer hunters in the woods than coyote hunters.

Regardless of the time of day, I am extremely careful about seeing the entire shot - background, etc.

In NY, if you are ever stopped by game warden after sunset, just tell them you hunted deer till sunset then hunted coyotes the rest of the time.

Hunting is a right, treat it like a priviledge - respect nature
Old 01-14-2002, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted with a full moon one time in NJ in farm country and there were shots from 6.15am on! It was almost comical but you really could see into the fields especially with the light snow on the ground. But I have never had the opportunity to even have to question shooting before legal light as most of my deer have been shot after 7am.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:13 PM

'Shootable light,' eh? One of the nights this past November, in NY's Northern Zone, I remember going outside the camp to answer a call of nature (at 1 AM), and the light thrown by the full moon was more than enough to be able to see 50 yards. Think that some slob hunter wouldn't try to take advantage of that?
Old 01-14-2002, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

phuloschit,the coyote excuse will work and is 100% legal,you had just better not have any slugs in your gun or even on you if your using that excuse.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:51 PM

i dont wear a watch while hunting
i leave when i can see anymore and arrive at my stand hour b4 it get light enough to shoot..i think turkeys is 1/2 hour b4 sunrise
Old 01-15-2002, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

SS, very good point!! During the shotgun season here in NY, many times I have seen deer movement right at dusk. I think everybody would be in violation with this dumb ruling!! Another thing, how would they be able to enforce that? What if your way back in the woods, by the time that you get back to your vehicle/cottage it will be dark outside. So are we suppose to leave even earlier? What a dumb law!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 12:55 PM

cs - I hunt if rifle country which is also legal for coyote.

The law says stop hunting at sunset, not stop being in the woods. When they check you, they check to see if your gun is loaded when you get to your vehicle. They may also ask you when you stopped hunting, so you should know the sunset times. If not, say you stopped at 3 pm and then was scouting.

Once in Maine, the warden actually heard my buddy unload his gun about 100 yards from the road (was dark at the time) and gave him a rash of doo-doo about it, so be careful.

Hunting is a right, treat it like a priviledge - respect nature
Old 01-17-2002, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The times set by each state MUST be obeyed by each and every hunter. You certainly have the right to disagree with this policy but you don't have the right to break the law. Any hunter that will shoot as long as their is enough shootable light, even if legal hunting hours is over, is no better than the guy that shoots by a full moon. You both know it's illegal, but you both do it....You deserve each other's company!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.