Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 DCNR SAYS 126 DEER PER MILE IN CLEARFIELD,PA. >

DCNR SAYS 126 DEER PER MILE IN CLEARFIELD,PA.

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DCNR SAYS 126 DEER PER MILE IN CLEARFIELD,PA.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DCNR SAYS 126 DEER PER MILE IN CLEARFIELD,PA.

Sproulman,you are so clueless it's not even funny.That dmap unit had 16 dpsm.One area had a concentration of deer showing 126 dpsm.The reason there were so many deer in that one area is because they all concentrated there because it was one of the few areas in winter that had any food.No one is saying that unit has a dd of 126 dpsm.However,it does prove that if you hunt where the der have food and cover,you'll find deer.It also proves how deer can devistate regeneration in an area with poor habitat and relatively few deer.That whole area had less than 16 dpsm but most of those deer where concentrated in high numbers for a very small area because the surrounding habitat is so poor.Why is that so hard for you conspiracy theorists to understand.I hunt that area every year and kill deer every year with very little time and effort.The two units that I hunt most of the time had dd's of around 10 dpsm.Many people would think that's criminal and worth sueing the PGC over.I think it's easu hunting.All you have to do is hunt the few places that actually have food and you'll kill a deer in no time.It's not that difficult and you don't have to go way back in to do it.In fact,access is very easy in this area because of the network of state forest roads and hiking trail.The furthest area where I hunt in these units in 3/4 of a mile from the road and I rarely hunt that far in.You keep trying to twist the facts but the facts still remain the same.these areas don't have alot of deer because the habitat is so poor.Fortunately,with a little scouting and homework,it's easy to find out where the deer are.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]....you are so clueless it's not even funny...[quote/]

No shortage of deer management cluelessness on the internet, Doug.And you're right about it not being funny. It is a sad commentary on how far toomanyhunters feel about reduced deer numbers, that are moreconducive toa healthier habitat. No point ineven bringing up the otherproblems that havingtoo many deer account for. If it doesn't relate to lots of deer on opening day, it doesn't even count with these folks.

Present the malcontented with such things as the recent FLIR counts, doe studies,habitat studies and the like and hope they'll see the light, but it will apparentlydo nothing to change their minds. As long as they're so unhappy about no longer having hordes of deer scootin' about on opening day, nothing short of too many deer again will make them happy.

That is really what all the fuss is about. Many of us once saw lots of deer on opening day,decided that's how things should always be and will never be happy again without hordes of deer. You haggle with 'em if you want to, some of us have decided they reallyain't worth the effort.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

doug, you still did not answer my question.where the 126 deer were,is there PRIVATELAND near this area.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:28 PM

There are times I find I agree with some of the PGCplants on this board. I too think that there are other important factors to consider. Perhaps if the agency would engage those 38 foresters they employ with giant weed wackers and put them to work wacking down some of those worthlesss trees that they seem to have on various Game Lands, we might see an increase in Grouse. After all, theagency only cut some 7000 acres last year. That comes to a little over 184 acreseach. (We don't want to overwork these pros.)
Why with a little more cooperation from the Game Commission we could even have a Pheasant population and that would NO DOUBT increase the number of hunters.
Alas, the agency is more interested in improving the state for Elk so 40 lucky lottery winners can pursue those ever increasing numbers of Lawn Elk.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sproulman,yes there is private land near the area where they found 126 dpsm.However,it's open to hunting.The guy that owns the road that goes along side the state land did put a gate up a few years ago but you can walk in to hunt or fish Anderson creek.The fact that there's private land nearby means nothing.People are allowed to hunt that area and the flyover was done in March,long after the last hunter left the woods.the deer were concentrated there because it's one of the few areas that had a combination of food,cover and water.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

Sproulman,yes there is private land near the area where they found 126 dpsm.However,it's open to hunting.The guy that owns the road that goes along side the state land did put a gate up a few years ago but you can walk in to hunt or fish Anderson creek.The fact that there's private land nearby means nothing.People are allowed to hunt that area and the flyover was done in March,long after the last hunter left the woods.the deer were concentrated there because it's one of the few areas that had a combination of food,cover and water.
I KNEW IT!!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

I live in the southern part of the county, much better habitat than up north, 90% of the land is posted down in the southern part and I assure you that we don't have anywhere near those numbers of deer down in the southern part...THERE is NO WAY on the planet that anyone should believe this...NONE...you'd be lucky if you see 5 deer in an entire day up there...NO wonder the PGC's credibility is almost non existant amongst the masses..WHAT a crock of baloney...DO NOT BELIEVE there are 120 plus deer in the northern forests..ask the hunters that sit there day after day and can't even find a doe to drill...
Old 06-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sproulman,you knew what?what part of,the surrounding area is open to hunting,don't you understand?That area is not posted.

Frank,that was nothing more than a concentration of deer in one area that had food and cover.That whole dmap unit averaged out to 16 dpsm which was skewed because of that one high concentration of deer.They have pictures of the deer.Are you saying the pictures are fake?That area is about a mile past Mitches restaurant,on the way in to Rockton.If you're familiar with Rockton mountain,you have to agree that the habitat is absolutely terrible.One other area where they found a bunch of deer in that unit is a 100 acre spot that was clearcut and fenced about 16 years ago.They took the fence down two years ago and now the deer have all kinds of browse and cover ,where two years ago,they had none.

No ONE SAID THERE WAS 100 DEER IN THAT AREA.They could have found 50 deer in a half mile area.I live in the northern part of the county Frank and I see deer all over the place,as long as there's habitat to support them.

Are you saying that you don't have between 10-16 dpsm in the Southern part of Clearfield county because that's all they came up with in Moshannon state forest.I hunt an area around LA Jose just above five pointsand routinely see more than that each time I hunt there.I also used to hunt the Black hills up until last year and never noticed a shortage of deer there.I was actually through there on saturday and the regeneration looked pretty good off of yoder rd.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

PGC plants; lawn elk; 38 foresters; grouse; trees; pheasants and wackers.

Perfect, didn't miss a one of them favorite catch phrases...even added a coupla fresh ones this time. Good job, JT.

[8D]

What's the difference between a PGC plant and aGrumblin plant? One is green and fresh, t'other is more likely to be brown, wilted and leave a definitivelysour taste.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Doug,I just noticed something on the map T posted.Those deer aren't in the creek valley they're on top.
Man with all this publicity the bar up the road will get plenty of business this year.

Quick Reply: DCNR SAYS 126 DEER PER MILE IN CLEARFIELD,PA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.