Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DCNR SAYS 126 DEER PER MILE IN CLEARFIELD,PA.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 AM

Default RE: DCNR SAYS 126 DEER PER MILE IN CLEARFIELD,PA.

What is a WCO doing enforcing trespassing laws? He has not legal authority to enforce trespassing laws.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pa gobbler,The PGC has given private landowners all the tools they need to better manage the deer on their property.Unfortunately.since 80% of Pa is private land,there's very little they can do do force people to manage their timber and deer.I've never been to the public land in 4d so I can't comment.The public land in this part of 2G is far better than alot of the private land.

Sproulman,I don't hang around poachers so I don't know what they're thinking.Perhaps since the PGC can't enforce trespass laws,maybe they feel safer poaching on private land.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

T- i could be wrong but i think if they are hunting & trespassing, i think they can enforce it. but not 100% sure. but if they are just trespassing and not killing game then no they cant do anything about it.

ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3

What is a WCO doing enforcing trespassing laws? He has not legal authority to enforce trespassing laws.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

i know what your saying Doug. around here people will have land and will only let very few on to hunt. i dont mind, i love SGL's i grew up w/ it and we have some of the best state land in country.
i drive from Altoona to State College everyday. its private the whole way. the amount of deer i see is just crazy. but good luck getting on and hunting that.

ORIGINAL: DougE

Pa gobbler,The PGC has given private landowners all the tools they need to better manage the deer on their property.Unfortunately.since 80% of Pa is private land,there's very little they can do do force people to manage their timber and deer.I've never been to the public land in 4d so I can't comment.The public land in this part of 2G is far better than alot of the private land.

Sproulman,I don't hang around poachers so I don't know what they're thinking.Perhaps since the PGC can't enforce trespass laws,maybe they feel safer poaching on private land.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:36 AM

PA Gobbler,
It's a wierd situation... hunting & tresspassing. Someone can legally be hunting but be illegally tresspassing. Tresspassing alone is not a game law violation. Not saying I agree with it but that is the way it currently stands. There has been legislative discussion on changing that but I don't think anything has been done at this point.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:11 PM

The answer to that question is easy Sproulman. The poachers are promoting Job Security for the Game Wardens.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only way they can enforce a tresspassing vilolation is if the person is in the act of committing a game violation.A wco cannot enforce a traspassing violation by itself.Todd is correst though,they are looking at changing it.

PaGobbler,I know that area well and travel it quite a bit myself.I used to hunt the PSU farms outside of Pine Grove mills and SGL 176 near state college.I can't tell you what they're like now but they used to be great.SGL 176 used to get hammered but they have some excellent habitat.I also know what you mean about some of the other game lands in that area.I hunted bear this year on the state game lands just off rt 350 near Sandy ridge this year.We killed 4 bears and a coyote on the first day bu tonly say one deer the entire day.Some of the guys I hunted withlived right there and said the herd took a big nosedive since 2004.Surprisingly,none of them blamed it on an overharvest.These guys claimed to have found dozens of dead deer in that area while trapping beavers in 2004.It didn't surprise me one bit.That's rugged country with absolutely no browse.It's just steep ridges covered with thick laurel.ThePGC planted a bunch of corn and the mast crop was good so the bears were all over that area.One of the guys I hunted with was a taxidermist from Altoona.I forget his name but they called him Woody.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:33 PM

The PGC can most certainly control the deer herd on private land. One way is to issue a limited amount of antlerless tags to be used on public land, and issue a much large number to be used on private land and limit the number one individual can kill (doe) to one per year. That way a great deal of private land would have to be opened up for hunting or the deer population would soar out of control and the land owner would be begging hunters with private land tags to come on his property.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think your stretching a little bit there crazyhorse.Private landowners,especially farmers,can always use dmap to control the number of deer on their property.The PGC can offer the program but the landowner doesn't have to participate.Reducing the amount of tags on public property isn't going to put more pressure on private land.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

im not sure about the psu area i just work there and dont hunt that area, but i see lots of deer on the farms.
i know where your at w/ the sandy ridge, thats more my area. though im a few mnts over. if you take sandy ridge out you will come to ice mnt. ive hunted that area. but most of my hunting in on sgl 108 and 158. there are some areas w/ some bad habitat but also some areas that look pretty good. i noticed the herd dive the year after the first doe/buck season. it was like a war. i do agree we had a bad winter but i think the hunters can take the credit in this area.
i saw you wrote something about some work people have done for grouse, i would love to come up and see that sometime. i have a year old bird dog and am trying to learn as much as i can. so if you ever have free time just pm and let me know.

crazy i think you do have a point w/ the private and public tags. problems i see are not the farmers cause yes they do want the deer under control but its the private land owner that borders that farm. that wants as many deer as he can and only has a few hunters. they will not shoot the deer. i know of a good many of places like that.

ORIGINAL: DougE
PaGobbler,I know that area well and travel it quite a bit myself.I used to hunt the PSU farms outside of Pine Grove mills and SGL 176 near state college.I can't tell you what they're like now but they used to be great.SGL 176 used to get hammered but they have some excellent habitat.I also know what you mean about some of the other game lands in that area.I hunted bear this year on the state game lands just off rt 350 near Sandy ridge this year.We killed 4 bears and a coyote on the first day bu tonly say one deer the entire day.Some of the guys I hunted withlived right there and said the herd took a big nosedive since 2004.Surprisingly,none of them blamed it on an overharvest.These guys claimed to have found dozens of dead deer in that area while trapping beavers in 2004.It didn't surprise me one bit.That's rugged country with absolutely no browse.It's just steep ridges covered with thick laurel.ThePGC planted a bunch of corn and the mast crop was good so the bears were all over that area.One of the guys I hunted with was a taxidermist from Altoona.I forget his name but they called him Woody.

Quick Reply: DCNR SAYS 126 DEER PER MILE IN CLEARFIELD,PA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.