Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 FLIR results are in.  Read 'em and weep. >

FLIR results are in. Read 'em and weep.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

FLIR results are in. Read 'em and weep.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:39 PM

Default FLIR results are in. Read 'em and weep.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/deer/deersurvey.aspx

Let the whining begin.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FLIR results are in. Read 'em and weep.

Nowhining here TH,I wouldn't waste my time hunting deer on state forest land.I'll hunt some SGL's with good habitat but that's the extent of my public land deer hunting.
I do want to point some thing out to Doug though.After looking at the mosh map and the FLIR study,it seems the heavy numbers of deer are just south of rte 322 at Anderson which is private land.That tells me either those deer are protected or that land has much better habitat then the state forest.I'm gonna check it out next time I'm up.
It is kinda strange that right across the border on private land these deer numbers are so concentrated yet over on the state forest land so low.Those numbers really pushed the average up overall.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:14 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they fly over only state land? I didn't think any of the flyover was on private land. If you hunt in that area, you should key in on DMAP 305. I would.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germain,that concentration of 126 dpsm was on state forest land.Yes it does border private land that is heavily hunted but those deer where in an area with heavy cover and food.Those are some steep hillsides but they're a very short walk from rt 322.Theseresults prove whatI've been saying all along.The habitat on Moshannon state forest is barren,overbrowed and worthless as deer habitatexcept for a few places.It cracks me up everytime I drive through this area in deer season or bear season.Guys hunt where theycan see for hundreds of yards.Why would a deer be there?It just boggles my mind.No wonder so many are complaining.Fortunately you can travel to a huge area just a fewmiles away and hunt where a tornado went through and enjoy deer densitiesbetween 30 and 43 dpsm.It's a tough place to hunt because visibility is limited but the deer are in there in high numbers.If you hunt where deer should be and not where you want them to be,you can still have decent hunting.In the last two years,I've killed several deer on all three of those dmap properties and it hasn't taken me more than 2 days to do it either.Those areas averaged out to 10-16 dpsm but the vast majority of that state forest is worthless habitat.Since most of that area is already overbrowsed and terrible habitat,the deer concentrated in a large numbers in the areas that still had food.It's imperative that they dmap this property to keep those area with the food from being destroyed as well.I know I'll do mypart again this year and feel no guilt about it.Keep up the good work DCNR.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germain,most of the private land surrounding the state land with that high concetration of deer is not posted.Besides that private land gets hunted hard.It wouldn't have mattered anyway because the FLIR was done way after hunting season,long after the hunters were gone.The habitat in that area is terrible.Those deer were concentrated on hill sides where they had heavylaurel for cover,acorns and water.They simply concentrated where they had everything they needed.That alone tells you how bad the surrounding habitat is and it's the same situation in the tornado area.I'll gladly show you that exact spot.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

TH,looking at a regular map some private land was included which is understandable.In the middle of the mosh forest there's two huge hunting clubs with plenty of acreage.
I hate to disagree with you Doug because you go by that area alot more then me but comparing a map to the FLIR study that land south of 322 where the heavy deer numbers are is private.I do agree the habitat along there in the forest land is bad and I wonder why hunters go in there.But then on the other hand we can't all squeeze onto the few pockets of good habitat and hunt.That would be like standing on the creek bank the first day of trout in Perry county.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're right TH 305 does look interesting.But I"m pretty sure thateastern lowertip of high numbers is on posted land bordering ST forest.This private land was logged a few years back and is thick with new growth hence the high deer numbers.Hmm,deer and new growth?Now there's something you don't hear about.
The other end where Doug is talking about is also private but as he said the last time I was through there it was open to hunting.
Basically these two corners are it with low numbers inbetween.I'll pass on hunting the western end where Doug and me were discussing.
Till word gets out on this I can only imagine how crowded that place will be next year.There's alot of desperate hunters out there right now.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL
Old 06-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Germain,those deer were concentrated in the state forest.The purple line dictates the boundary.There are two camps that sit right in the middle and right next to that area but they don'town much land.That area gets hunted hard.

There was some timbering that took place in that area and this illustares why dmap and herd reductions are necessary in an area where the surrounding habitat is so poor.All the deer were concentrated in the few areas with available food.How much of a chance do you think that new regeneration will have.I've said it a million times,when the habitat is poor,it takes fewer and fewer deer to impact it.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

This will be a little bit handier to view for all .

Quick Reply: FLIR results are in. Read 'em and weep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.